• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — April 2, 2023

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
The Paracast Newsletter
April 2, 2023
www.theparacast.com

Discover Incredible Sightings of Triangular UFOs with Author and Experiencer Colin Saunders on The Paracast!

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVEN'T SIGNED UP FOR THE PARACAST+ YET? PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THE PARACAST+ SO YOU CAN SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE ULTIMATE PARACAST EXPERIENCE AT A SPECIAL LOW PRICE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an exclusive podcast, After The Paracast, plus an enhanced version of The Paracast with the network ads removed, when you join The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes on your device. Flash! Use the coupon code ufo20 to receive a 20% discount on five-year or lifetime subscriptions. And PayPal now accepts cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, in payment. And if you don't want to use PayPal, we now also offer a second payment option, from Stripe, which accepts major credit or debit cards, Apple Pay and Google Pay. For "qualified users," you can also take advantage of Pay Later options, so act now! For the easiest signup ever, please visit: https://www.theparacast.plus

This Week's Episode: Gene and cohost Tim Swartz present Colin Saunders, author of "Triangular UFOs of the United Kingdom." About his book, he says: "In 1999 my family and I was fortunate to have a very close encounter with a Triangular craft not of this world. Since that date I have met so many people that have also had Triangle encounters that it seemed only logical to write a book, not only about my own experience, but to include these observations as well. The book covers over 130 first hand UK witness accounts of close encounters with Triangular craft, including missing time and men in black! What I soon realized from my own encounter and other witness statements is that there is a definite link between UFO’s and the paranormal. I have included a whole section about this phenomenon in the book which also touches on alien telepathy. As strange as it all may seem I believe this is just a science we do not understand." In his "civilian life," Saunders is a self-employed graphic designer. He has spent his whole working life as a Technical Design Draughtsman and his skills earned him AutoCAD user of the year in 1992 while working at Courtaulds.

After The Paracast — Available exclusively for Paracast+ subscribers on April 2: Author and UFO experiencer Colin Saunders returns to talk with Gene and cohost Tim Swartz about the sightings featured in his book, "Triangular UFOs of the United Kingdom." Included is a report where someone observed hieroglyphic-like symbols on a craft, and another where a dentist felt his implant vibrating when he approached a UFO. When he attempted to touch it, it had the feel of a liquid. Sanders also talks about reports of MIBs in connection with the sightings he reported, including a case where two of them told a witness not to speak of a sighting. His encounter with a triangle UFO along with his family in 1999 totally changed his view of the world we live in today and was the beginning of his quest to learn more about the mystery. Saunders has spent his entire working life as a Technical Design Draughtsman, including stints in Sweden and Germany as an Avionics Designer on civilian aircraft. His hobbies include fishing, a passion for old watches and classic motor cars.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. Visit our new online shop for great branded merchandise at: https://www.theparacast.shop, and check out our new YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheOfficialParacastChannel.

1965: I Go to See Ray Palmer and Jacques Vallee
By Gene Steinberg

The other day I began reading a book first published in 2013, “The Man From Mars,” by Fred Nadis. No, it isn’t a sci-fi title, though perhaps it is in a way. Instead, sporting the labels “Astonishing — Shocking — All True!,” it tells of the “amazing pulp journey” of Ray Palmer, a controversial sci-fi and paranormal writer and promoter who was instrumental in touting and possibly creating the modern UFO field.

In a sense, Palmer’s work lives on in the magazine he co-founded, Fate. Now published by Phyllis Galde, it is not just one of the few physical magazines you can buy, but perhaps the sole remaining zine from the pulp era.

Now I haven’t finished the book. I’m about halfway through, at the point where Nadis introduces the reader to Fate, which Palmer and his colleague, Curtis Fuller founded in 1948. While he was still working as an editor Amazing Stories and other pulps for Ziff-Davis, Palmer edited Fate under the name Robert N. Webster.

After a few years, he exited Fate and set up his publishing operations in a tiny Wisconsin village, Amherst. And I mean tiny. It’s population as of 2021 was 1,123.

So where am I going with this?

Well, in the early 1960s, I discovered another of Palmer’s magazines, Flying Saucers, and its little social networking section, Saucer Club News. So I set up my own saucer club, and soon met a few people who contacted me as a result of several of the announcements of mine that he published.

Some of them, such as Tim Beckley, Allen Greenfield and Rick Hilberg, became lifelong friends. Beckley left us in 2021, but along with Greenfield and Hilberg, they made a number of appearances on The Paracast over the years.

That takes us to 1965, when I was studying broadcasting, and working part-time as Managing Editor of Jim Moseley’s Saucer News magazine to earn a few extra bucks. Those of you who remember Jim’s free newsletter, “Saucer Smear,” may not recall that he had a regular magazine, usually published quarterly, and a full-time office at 303 Fifth Avenue in New York City.

Since I was essentially his partner on the magazine, Jim invited me to a UFO-related outing to Chicago and environs. I had saved enough to pay for the plane trip and the hotel stay, and we were joined by our fellow travelers, Greenfield and Hilberg.

I can’t forget the hotel, the Conrad Hilton, a supposed luxury establishment where we got a good rate for some of the lesser rooms. My most distinct memory of the occasion was the difficulty navigating through the vast network of hallways to and from our rooms. Sometimes I wondered if I’d get lost in a backroom somewhere, with nowhere to go.

In any case, we had a busy agenda, the key parts of which included personal encounters with two key UFO figures. The first was a young scientist, one Jacques Vallee, author of “Anatomy of a Phenomenon: Unidentified Objects in Space — A Scientific Appraisal.” The second, a meeting with the reclusive architect of the modern UFO mystery and co-founder of Fate magazine, Ray Palmer.

My memory of our meeting with Vallee is cursory. He claims to recall the encounter. Maybe. But I remember a smart fellow with, then, a fairly traditional viewpoint of the UFO phenomenon. This was before his studies led him to explore the folklore and cultural influences and such, and their relationship.

It wasn’t long before his trend-setting book, “Passport to Magonia: From Folklore to Flying Saucers,” appeared.

In any case, Jim dominated the conversation, which took about an hour. After we left, he took upon the role of amateur psychologist, not unusual for him, and began to analyze Vallee and his perceived issues. But I won’t take that any further.

In any case, the pièce de résistance, at least to me, was our panned visit with Ray Palmer at his home.

Jim rented a car for the trip, and we motored on for what seemed like hours and hours. As we neared our destination, we navigated tiny two-lane country roads. Nowadays the trip from Chicago to Amherst takes nearly three and a half hours to traverse 227 miles, with much of the trip along I-41.

Palmer gave Jim detailed directions, but there were complications, and it almost seemed as if we were lost. We were about to give up and return to Chicago when we saw the signs for Amherst. Jim soon pulled up to a service station, which we assumed might be the only one there.

Anyway, he boldly asked the attendant if he knew where Ray Palmer lived. Jim assumed that people in small towns must know everyone. I didn’t consider the logic of the request, but he was correct. A few minutes later, we approached a large single-story home, situated in a large tract of land, overlooking a river.

In those days, Palmer often wrote of his financial difficulties, almost begging his readers to buy more stuff from his little company. Before I saw his home, I almost had the impression that poverty was just around the corner for him.

Or maybe the real estate taxes were so high he needed some extra cash to over the bills.

We were greeted at the door by his wife Marjorie, who seemed very protective of her disabled husband, and thus stared at our motley crew with some suspicion, at least at first.

Although I knew his history, I wasn’t quite prepared for how small Palmer was, standing several inches shy of five feet tall. He walked slowly, deliberately, and we soon sat down and talked.

I brought a tape recorder with me and, with Palmer’s approval, set it up to do an interview. As a fledgling radio broadcaster, I felt I really hit the big time.

Palmer spoke in a soft, pleasant voice with the suggestion of his midwestern background.

Over the next 20 minutes or so, we covered the gamut of his explorations into the unknown with the emphasis on the controversial Shaver Mystery.

Now over the previous year or so, I began corresponding with Shaver, famous or infamous for his claims that he was in touch with strange beings who lived in caverns inside the Earth. So there were deros, devilish creatures who created havoc on our world, and the tero, the good guys who tried to minimize the damage.

Although many felt Palmer deliberately promoted Shaver strictly to boost circulation and ad revenue for his magazines, beginning with Amazing Stories, I had mixed feelings. Palmer explained why he believed Shaver, but also revealed that he was actually confined to a mental institution when he claimed to be experiencing other-worldly adventures in the caverns.

Palmer claimed to have had experiences that convinced him that mysterious and sometimes frightening things were going on.

The interview? Well, many moves and decades later, I no longer have the tape. But the text of the interview was later published in Caveat Emptor, a paranormal magazine I edited with my first wife, Geneva.

Towards the end of the interview, I asked Palmer if he felt we’d ever solve the UFO mystery. His response is as apt today as it was 58 years ago:

“No!…We’ve been in this thing now since—well, I’ve been in it since ’43. Actually, the flying saucer saga as it’s understood today began in ’47 with Kenneth Arnold’s sighting.

“Now we’ve been in it this long, and what have we arrived at? We don’t know anything more today than we did when we started. Nothing we can prove. And I would think it would be a scientific assumption to assume that now, after all these years of effort, we’re going to come up in the future with exactly the same thing. Why should it change? Are we going to have a terrific revelation that’s going to solve this all for us? I don’t think so.”

You can download a copy of a scanned version of the first issue of Caveat Emptor from 1971, which contains the Palmer interview, from:

Copyright 1999-2023 The Paracast Company. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back