• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Most Annoying Conspiracy Theories?

H

hopeful skeptic

I was polishing my magic wand today (no jokes, please) and imagining what it might be like if I could wave it about and erase the most annoying conspiracy theories out there. By "annoying," I mean those theories that no amount of reasoned examination, contrary evidence or implacable logic can dissipate.

I have a couple that come immediately to mind:

1. The 9/11 "truth" [sic] movement. No matter how much direct, unquestionable evidence and hard logic one hurls at its proponents, this rather lucrative and ratings-garnering blather just won't go away. Poor Alex Jones - this dead horse is his only ride.

2. The "Secret Government." Whether suppressing the "truth" about free-energy, UFOs, the moon landings, mass alien abductions, the War on Terror, 9/11, peak oil, water depletion, solid-fuel automobiles, the JFK/RFK/MLK murders, the Masons, etc., these nefarious minions of the Dark Side have moved about the planet in their black helicopters and dark suits, pulling hidden levers and pressing unseen buttons for centuries - all without leaving a shred of evidence anywhere behind them. Puh-leeze.

Face it: our governments are clumsy, oafish and incompetent. And they have nukes.

3. The so-called "Moon Landing Hoax." Reasonable rebuttal of this nonsense should have nailed this conspiracy into its coffin long ago, but it keeps clawing its way out of the grave, no matter how much logic, direct evidence and science you throw at it. Spooky, really.

Yours?

Out of that list, Moon hoax. 9/11 and Secret government I buy... up to a point.

The one I wish would stop is what I call the "omniconspiracy". You know, the one that says all the other conspiracies are "true but wrong because the REAL motivation behind them is X"? David Icke springs to mind. I'm afraid my standard issue eospohagus can only swallow so much.

BTW, Hopeful Skeptic, I'm forced to wonder what you're "hopeful" of? That all the topics we're discussing here are bunk and that life really is as bland and pointless as it seems? Doesn't sound espescially "hopeful" to me...

hopeful skeptic said:
I was polishing my magic wand today (no jokes, please) and imagining what it might be like if I could wave it about and erase the most annoying conspiracy theories out there. By "annoying," I mean those theories that no amount of reasoned examination, contrary evidence or implacable logic can dissipate.

The inappropriately named 9/11 Truth Movement would be at the top of my list, by far.

I would also add the "Zionists are out to control the world" conspiracy theories that underline much of the conspiracist thinking.

My least annoying conspiracy theory would be the JFK assassination.

Paul

CapnG said:
BTW, Hopeful Skeptic, I'm forced to wonder what you're "hopeful" of? That all the topics we're discussing here are bunk and that life really is as bland and pointless as it seems? Doesn't sound espescially "hopeful" to me...

A misinterpretation, I'm afraid. I'm hopeful that I'll someday see definitive evidence for UFOs, since that's the only "paranormal" subject for which I think some hope might reasonably be held out. In fact, I'm not sure UFOs are really "paranormal" in nature at all - at least not as that term is generally understood by the public.

You don't buy Reptilians? :)

hopeful skeptic said:
You don't buy Reptilians? :)

Intially no, although if you've seen our Prime Minister (Stephen Harper) you'd see someone who'll make you reconsider. That man has the deadest eyes I've ever seen a living human. *shudder*

It's a good point though, NOTHING is actually "paranormal" or "supernatural", there are simply aspects of nature and levels of physics we simply don't understand yet.

CapnG said:
Intially no, although if you've seen our Prime Minister (Stephen Harper) you'd see someone who'll make you reconsider. That man has the deadest eyes I've ever seen a living human. *shudder*

I always thought Democratic "strategist" James Carville could serve as David Icke's best evidence for Reptilians. Even Carville's wife calls him "Serpent Head." Spooky.

Hadn't thought of Harper, though. Priceless.

What annoys me the most are people who think that their governments would never lie to them...

...I don't find any conspiracy theory 'annoying'. I find some are more probable than others.

Rick Deckard said:
What annoys me the most are people who think that their governments would never lie to them...

...I don't find any conspiracy theory 'annoying'. I find some are more probable than others.

As I said in another thread, conspiracy theories are only "theories" until they become facts at which point they're relabelled as "plots" and relegated to historical footnotes, stripped of mystery and intrigue.

CapnG said:
As I said in another thread, conspiracy theories are only "theories" until they become facts at which point they're relabelled as "plots" and relegated to historical footnotes, stripped of mystery and intrigue.

What troubles me is that some conspiracy theories are more plausible than the 'official' version of events...I don't buy the 'official' version of the JFK assassination for 1 minute. There are soooooo many holes in that story...perhaps caused by another 'magic' bullet?

Question - what happens when the conspirators investigate themselves?

Answer - they find no conspiracy.

Rick Deckard said:
Question - what happens when the conspirators investigate themselves?

Answer - they find no conspiracy.

Indeed. There's also the scalar nature of conspiracies to consider, ie: the more implausible it sounds, the less likely the public will believe it, making it all the more likely to succeed.

Well I disagree with anyone who agrees with the 9/11 commission report as the 100% truth to what happened on 9/11. There is so much ignorace on the topic by either people who have the clearly distorted and omitted disgusting lie up to people who think "space beams" blew up the WTC complex. Some choose to put their heads in their asses while others promote disinformation. I don't care if someone agrees that "so and so did 9/11" but the data in the public is enough to bring charges up on those who made that report. So I don't care "who did it" but that they given story is a bold faced lie. You don't have to go near an airplane or a building to show there are lies being sold and anyone who is not closed mined has to admit that.

cottonzway said:
Well I disagree with anyone who agrees with the 9/11 commission report as the 100% truth to what happened on 9/11.

I find the whole thing very scary indeed - 'Nineteen-Eighty-Four' is my favourite book for very good reason...and 'Brazil' my favourite movie (if you've never seen 'Brazil', go rent it now and watch it 5 times over!).

Remind me, who are we at war with again? Ah yes, those nasty 'terrorists'...

...let's hope they never infiltrate our governments...

...d-oh!

I think the biggest thing is step one. That would be to at least show that enough is already proven to make the official story bogus. I am not even asking for people to agree with any "theory" rather then just agree a better job needs to be done with investigating this topic. I just want that above anything else. I need a better answer then what Kean-Hamilton have given to the general public. Does anyone disagree with that statement? Is anyone happy with all you are told about 9/11?

I just wanted to add the time of just not talking about it has passed. As a society in general it's time to call this out. I hope some of the people who read this forum have tot he courage to at least speak on the topic. It's time to have balls and stop being afraid that people will look at you in some unfavorable way because you care about what people think about you. If you have an opinion on this, regardless who you are, speak up on 9/11!

There are SO MANY problematic issues swirling around 9.11, it's really impossible to get any significant clarity. To my eyes, it's obvious that there were people inside of the US government that had a pretty good idea that something major was going down, and allowed it to happen. One specific book I'm currently reading, "9/11 Synthetic Terror: Made in USA, First Edition" by Webster Griffin Tarpley, is a bit extreme in some of it's conclusions, but it does indeed underscore many of the deeply troubling realities of the current administration and it's response to the events of that day. I suspect that sometime in the future, when the actual facts behind that day come out, it will bring the national psyche to it's knees. It's pretty clear to many of us that the American Empire is in decline, which started with the establishment of the Federal Reserve and will end with the bankruptcy of the treasury, or something worse. It ain't gonna be pretty, it some ways I hope I'm not around to see it.

dB
http://www.amazon.com/s/002-2787727...k&field-author-exact=Tarpley, Webster Griffin

David, the fall-out from 9-11 has been less oversight of the government and military which now have total control over everything we do. It was easy enough for them to push their agenda through and the average American has no idea just how far the corruption goes from the center of that idealogy.

I don't know if you've ever had the "muckraking journalist" (his words, not mine) Daniel Hopsicker on your show, but you should. I have read his book on Mohhamed Atta and how he was protected by the FBI and FAA down there in Florida. The book is called "Welcome to Terrorland" and it covers Mohhamed Atta's whereabouts in Florida, his international pilot's licenses, his ability to come and go in this country at will (protected), and his drug smuggling life style. He "worked" out of a hangar at the Venice Airport that was paid for with a million dollars cash by Wally Hilliard, one of Jeb Bush's biggest financial campaign supporters, the fellow who owned most of the Lear jets in western Florida. Not only was one of his jets confiscated at the Orlando Executive Airport a year before 9-11 with (I think) 37 tons of heroin, but it was another one of his jets that flew out of Raytheon in Tampa during the 9-11 no-fly days to fly members of the Saudi family out of the country from Lexington, KY.

None of this was addressed properly during the Commission and all accounts have been white-washed, altered or the retracted. Jeb Bush also flew a C-130 down to the Venice flight school the next day and effectively took all of the flight schools' records to a military base in Pensacola, where it would never again see the light of day.

Daniel's website MadCowNews | Investigative Reporting into Drug Trafficking, 9/11 & Terrorism

David Icke seems to get an almost sub conscious reflex reaction when hes mentioned. I happen to have a great deal of respect for the man and admire his courage and fortitude.

That does not mean I agree with all of his theory's, as he says himself - he puts the information out there, its up to you what you do with it.

I dont agree with his lizard theory. Why they would want to take over the royal family is beyond me. They have an absolutely tedious life, of routine. And little real freedom.

But looking at his theory objectively, people can believe in god the unseen supreme being who pervades everywhere. And thats ok, because consensus thinking allows religion. This god knows your movements, your thoughts, your heart etc. And religious people will accept that.

But mention highly advanced beings (reptile form) from another dimension, who have evolved, and been around in the universe for much longer than we have. And have incredible technology by our standards and he gets laughed at.

What im trying to get across is by what criteria do you see a theory acceptable, and by what method would you reject one. Who sets the boundary's for what you are allowed to think?

I dont suppose there is a right or wrong answer as we are all different in our approaches.

Bruce Lee was quoted as saying -:

"In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject. Actually, he keeps chiselling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. It is not daily increase but daily decrease; hack away the unessential."

The trouble is with knowledge, how do know what bits are unessential.

In the spirit of Christmas, Christianity has got to be on the top of my list. The idea that some unseen entity has conspired to not only control people, but to bury dinosaur bones and flood the entire planet, then become mortal, then immortal, while millions were living in the Americas, just waiting for Manifest Infection to kill them 'In His Name'... The bigger the lie........etc.

Second on my list is modern Physics. The idea that the only way to understand how something works requires that you don't believe in cause and effect and that the only people who can answer questions about the universe are the high priests of mathematics. The universe is NOT conspiring against people. Call it "Auntiegrav's AntiMisanthropic Principle".

Third most annoying Conspiracy theory is terrorism. The idea that civilization is at risk because the people who we give oil and drug money hate us for our freedom and liberty. The truth is that we take too many liberties with freeing them from their resources while we sit on our fat asses and send our drones to blow up things so a lucky few can raise the price of commodities they control. Been there, done that.

9/11 Truth is just a symptom of how ignorant we really are about the things we create ourselves, such as economies, governments, and secret power brokers who play on our desire for 'someone else' to take care of our every desire for comfort and security. Yes, our government is full of bumbling fools who make the news. It is also full of people who got to the moon, build air-to-air missiles, and maintain the accuracy of the atomic clocks at the Naval Observatory, and the GPS constellation. There are awfully smart and powerful people beyond the public's eyes, and I've met many of them. Area 51 isn't a myth. If there is a Hubble telescope pointing out at the stars, you can damn sure bet there is one pointing at us. To clarify: I am annoyed when people tell me the government is too stupid to conspire against us. Incompetence is the easiest disinformation show to produce.

UFO's? Another symptom of #2 above. They exist, but until we call our high priests of 'security' on their classified classifications, or build our own power sources for our own communities, the system is going to work to thwart the fringe from becoming the mainstream. That's what the system is for:to maintain the status quo.

Back