• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Yerba Mate'

That sounds like a tasty concoction, Tommy, I'll have to try it.

Mate is definitely an acquired taste - as are coffee and tea - and I can easily understand how some folks might find it a bit too earthy or odd. It took me a few days to really "get it", and I've only just recently started drinking it regularly again, after going through a LOT of it down in Buenos Aires last year.

dB

We have mint plants in the house, which we brought in from the garden. Our indoor garden is coming along, provided we can keep the cats out of it.

They like to dig in the dirt for whatever reason.

Anyway, I'm going to try some with a little orange zest. It's not that good with Apple Juice though. Here's an interesting aside though...

Aloe Vera juice, mixed with my Mate' concoction isn't all that bad. I'm pretty sure it would take the paint off of a car, but still it isn't that bad.

Mixed Yerba Mate' with Mountain Dew.

Let me say, it wasn't bad.

It wasn't that great either, but still... Could be something Mountain Dew might want to look into.

Here's my recipe for a paradelic holiday drink...
My mom gave me a 'Grinch' t-shirt and a bottle of Don Ramon, a very fine tequila, for Jesus's birthday. Another friend hooked me up with some yerba mate. Here is how you make a "Grinch"...you heard it hear first.

Slow steep 2/3 rds of a teacup with about a tablespoon of "yerba mate" and a fresh sprig of "rosemary."

When this conconction stops steaming, fork out the coarse bits and stir in a "squeeze of lime" and a spoonful of "honey."

Add a double shot of "tequila" and an "ice-cube."

Experience bliss.

So has anyone else tried the Yerba Mate out thanks to this thread? Ive just found that the online herb supplier www.riohealth.co.uk that I use for other things here in the uk supply it too. Teabags, Powder and Elixir apparently. Works out at £11.99 for 90 tea bags so will probably grab a tub next time I order somthing from them.

Incidentally and completely unrelated, I have problems with my stomach as a side effect of an ongoing condition and bought some Pau Darco tablets after reading an several articles about it in relation to digestive inbalances. VERY good stuff imo, after trying over the counter medications which were innefective, these worked a charm.

I also bought some Chuchwasi tea from them at the time, again for digestive issues. After I had been drinking it for a week, I read that its also known for its aphrodisiac effects..... not that I had any complaints before you understand :D

I think I have made a pretty good Yerba Mate' drink.

Take one lemon, and one lime, and juice them. Add a cup of sugar, and made a simple syrup. Take your COLD brewed mate, and mix. Chill in the fridge, add ice. Then... When you're about to drink it, garnish it with mint.

This to me, is pretty damned good. Not sure what other people will think.

i think sugar is considered a drug.:)

Back