• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Wow, Dave...You Missed The X-Conference Grand Finale!

paulkimball said:
the conspiracists always seem to work on the assumption that all of these agencies - NASA, CIA, NSA, MoD, CSIS, USAF, etc - work on the same agenda, and cooperate to keep the lid on things. This is patently ridiculous, and betrays a fundamental lack of knowledge about the intelligence agencies of various countries, how they work, and the rivalries and varying agendas that simply preclude the kind of massive cover-up we would be talking about here. Heck, even within a single country (i.e. the USA) the intel agencies have always been at each other's proverbial throats, which has led to no end of screw-ups over the years.

Paul

You know how these agencies operate, and who they are answering to - do you? For an example, Abu Ghraib was only uncovered because some photos were leaked to the press. Otherwise, torturing, maiming and killing would still go on there (now it has simply shifted to different locations). Abu Ghraib was the result of several of the above mentioned agencies covering up their illegal activities - and we didn't hear about Abu Ghraib first through British intelligence or the MoD, did we? The difference to the UFO subject is that it has, by comparison, a negligible effect on most "ordinary" people, hence public awareness and interest is rather low. As long as UFOs don't touch down in people's back yards in large numbers, it is probably going to stay that way.

So there is no big conspiracy? I must have imagined then that Hitler was financed by Wall Street, and that the Bush family of today was at the centre of the action, even back then. These things are coincidences - right? So, the next time some government shill tells you that all is well, and that the powers that be are watching over us, and regulate the world in our best interest, you will believe all that, and thank them for their service? Nice.

Okay, if we disregard the 90's explanation, then we're stuck believing the Air Force is still covering up something. It wouldn't be a mogul balloon at this point would it? What object of a terrestrial nature could it possibly be? What would still be so important? Clinton already apologized for putting minorities, children, and mentally handicapped people to death for purposes of testing nuclear radiation. If he can "Oh, sorry" that one away, what worse thing could this be?

I can't think of it.

As for witnesses, Corso was considered unimpeachable...until he spoke up about Roswell. Then, magically, he was a liar or too old or wrong. Now ditto that Haut.Granted there are shady characters in Haut's life and some questions there, but ditto that everyone on earth.

We keep asking for testimony--where's the testimony? And then people who were there say "Fine. You wanna know? I saw space ships and aliens and something like hieroglyphic writing."

Still not good enough.

Hell, the very first explanation given to newspapers was that we caught a flying disk. Even that original admission wasn't good enough. So if you've got an original admission that's then covered up and the people who are in the very photograph used to cover it up eventually say "Yeah, it wasn't a weather balloon, it was a nonhuman craft." If that's falling on deaf ears it's got to be because you're sticking your fingers in them, is all I'm getting at.

valiens said:
Okay, if we disregard the 90's explanation, then we're stuck believing the Air Force is still covering up something. It wouldn't be a mogul balloon at this point would it? What object of a terrestrial nature could it possibly be? What would still be so important? Clinton already apologized for putting minorities, children, and mentally handicapped people to death for purposes of testing nuclear radiation. If he can "Oh, sorry" that one away, what worse thing could this be?

As I said, maybe Mogul was right. Or maybe it suits the government's purposes to keep things confused, for any one of a number of reasons that have nothing to do with UFOs (as with most of the seemingly UFO-related disinfo they've run over the decades). Who knows?

valiens said:
As for witnesses, Corso was considered unimpeachable...until he spoke up about Roswell. Then, magically, he was a liar or too old or wrong.

Was he unimpeachable? Check his background a bit to see what he might have been really up to.

Here's what amazes me - people who think that if former or current intel guys tell you one thing (i.e. we don't know what UFOs are), they must be lying, and part of the cover-up, but if they tell you another, i.e. there is a cover-up, and aliens, etc., then they must be telling the truth. Hey, if all intel people lie, why is one group more credible than the other - because they are saying what some people want to hear, no matter that the actual evidence might indicate otherwise?

valiens said:
Now ditto that Haut.Granted there are shady characters in Haut's life and some questions there, but ditto that everyone on earth.

Actually, it's not ditto in everyone's life... especially not so many, and no so centrally related to a key event like Roswell was for Haut. And the problems with his affidavit are problems that exist regardless of who his friends were - the fact that some of his best pals were proven liars about the very thing Haut staked much of his own reputation on is just a further red flag.

valiens said:
We keep asking for testimony--where's the testimony? And then people who were there say "Fine. You wanna know? I saw space ships and aliens and something like hieroglyphic writing."

Still not good enough.

Alas, no, it's not.

valiens said:
Hell, the very first explanation given to newspapers was that we caught a flying disk. Even that original admission wasn't good enough. So if you've got an original admission that's then covered up and the people who are in the very photograph used to cover it up eventually say "Yeah, it wasn't a weather balloon, it was a nonhuman craft." If that's falling on deaf ears it's got to be because you're sticking your fingers in them, is all I'm getting at.

Ditto with the countervailing arguments - particularly the one that says Marcel and Blanchard screwed up back then, on what was a relatively minor event, probably because "flying saucers" were "hot" at that moment (it's all about context, folks), and that only 30 years later did anyone attach any significance to it.

But it's probably too much to ask the pro-Roswell crowd to take their fingers out of their ears now, when they have invested so much time, and effort, into turning their belief into reality.

Paul

musictomyears said:
paulkimball said:
the conspiracists always seem to work on the assumption that all of these agencies - NASA, CIA, NSA, MoD, CSIS, USAF, etc - work on the same agenda, and cooperate to keep the lid on things. This is patently ridiculous, and betrays a fundamental lack of knowledge about the intelligence agencies of various countries, how they work, and the rivalries and varying agendas that simply preclude the kind of massive cover-up we would be talking about here. Heck, even within a single country (i.e. the USA) the intel agencies have always been at each other's proverbial throats, which has led to no end of screw-ups over the years.

Paul

You know how these agencies operate, and who they are answering to - do you? For an example, Abu Ghraib was only uncovered because some photos were leaked to the press. Otherwise, torturing, maiming and killing would still go on there (now it has simply shifted to different locations). Abu Ghraib was the result of several of the above mentioned agencies covering up their illegal activities - and we didn't hear about Abu Ghraib first through British intelligence or the MoD, did we? The difference to the UFO subject is that it has, by comparison, a negligible effect on most "ordinary" people, hence public awareness and interest is rather low. As long as UFOs don't touch down in people's back yards in large numbers, it is probably going to stay that way.

So there is no big conspiracy? I must have imagined then that Hitler was financed by Wall Street, and that the Bush family of today was at the centre of the action, even back then. These things are coincidences - right? So, the next time some government shill tells you that all is well, and that the powers that be are watching over us, and regulate the world in our best interest, you will believe all that, and thank them for their service? Nice.

The point is that Abu Ghraib was uncovered, and it didn't take very long.

The UFO subject has no effect on ordinary people? If it is really aliens, and abductions are real, then that is the most conveniently ridiculous statement that I've ever heard.

The old Hitler stuff? Oh my God. Not much left to say when I start to hear that conspiracist crap.

Paul

It seems to me that it's impossible to fully get a grasp on government operations until you've come to understand the concept of compartmentalization. When you factor that in, things begin to make more sense, even in the upside down world of covert intelligence.

valiens said:

I can't think of it.
I can, but I won't go into the dark side of my imagination today. Enough to be scared about.

I think I can see where you both are right. Paul is correct in asking for proof. You are correct in saying that there is evidence of shady deals going on.
One of the things I have seen happen in government agencies far too often is just simple apathy. When combined with the fear of changes or fear of the unknown, many things that happen are just 'let slide' until they get bad enough that someone prominent or a large number of people are screaming about it. An example is the Clintons' involvement in drug running in Arkansas during their governorship of that state. Sure, they can claim ignorance of the CIA's dealings and the massive amounts that passed through Mena, but not ignorance of the deaths involved, which were handled by state people, not the DEA.
9/11: If you work in some pissant job, you aren't going to stick your head in a noose just to tell someone in the newspapers (who? the NYT? a.k.a. "mouthpiece of Empire"?) that you signed the pay vouchers for secret contractors to work at the World Trade Center in months leading up to it. Even if you did, nobody is going to believe you, but you would be out of a security clearance and a job. Better to keep your mouth shut and "somebody will eventually find out something".
MoD, NASA, NSA, CIA, FBI, DIA, are full of people who just do their jobs, 9-5, M-F, and don't see much of the whole picture, and don't WANT to. It doesn't take much of a conspiracy to hide things if very few people want to find them. No politician really wants to find out that our picture of the universe, which we beat the Russians to the moon with, beat the Germans, etc etc. is really just a simple crayon drawing of the the real universe. How does one get a platform to talk about such things? You don't.
Our society is so full of it's own selfishness that it wouldn't see a lightspeed capable craft if it landed at O'Hare airport in the middle of a busy afternoon.
NOBODY REALLY WANTS TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH. Get that into your head and you will be better for it. These forums are for people who are psychotic, like me, and who are willing to commit social suicide in order to know something different about the universe than what everyone believes is 'normal'.
Is consuming our planet sane? Maybe not to anyone who thinks about it.
Are we (as a society) actually doing anything about it? Very little. Nothing if someone can't make a buck on it.

Humans don't care about anything except the next meal, the next show, or the next paycheck. That's pretty much it. Unless aliens threaten these things, then it doesn't really matter if they exist because we wouldn't do anything about it.
Show Donald Trump how to make money on Disclosure and maybe you would have a chance.
Just look up the story about the USS Liberty if you want to see something interesting. 40 years ago and we think of it as a terrible accident. Some accident when a nearby carrier is told NOT to assist a ship under fire. http://www.nsa.gov/liberty .
Does this 'prove' anything about UFO coverups? No. Not at all. It does, however, illustrate the lengths to which our government agencies will go to bury stories that are merely inconvenient to our major business and banking interests, and have little to do with military security.

I've already argued 9/11 unsuccessfully with Paul & Nick so I'm out on that...but Paul, it is true that the Bush family & various other U.S. corporate families funded Hitler. I mean that's not conspiracy theory, that's actually the case.

And while what you say about Abu Ghraib does serve your point, that wasn't the point of what musictomyears was saying. The point is it illustrates how departments do work together for nefarious purposes. True, that, but the argument falls apart when talking about political/military events prior to 9/11, the invention of Homeland Security, and the information/department sharing policies that came with them.

"The UFO subject has no effect on ordinary people? If it is really aliens, and abductions are real, then that is the most conveniently ridiculous statement that I've ever heard."

Yeah but we're all crazy, dotcha know? I think the way society views abductees/abductions is more the point.

valiens said:
I've already argued 9/11 unsuccessfully with Paul & Nick so I'm out on that...but Paul, it is true that the Bush family & various other U.S. corporate families funded Hitler. I mean that's not conspiracy theory, that's actually the case.

Yes, yes, old news. The problem I have is that people then spin this into some grand conspiracy, when in fact lots of people funded the Nazi government in the years leading up to the war because they thought Hitler could be controlled, or at least managed. That doesn't make it a conspiracy of anything, just a colossal misjudgment.

Paul

paulkimball said:
The problem I have is that people then spin this into some grand conspiracy, when in fact lots of people funded the Nazi government in the years leading up to the war because they thought Hitler could be controlled, or at least managed. That doesn't make it a conspiracy of anything, just a colossal misjudgment.

Paul

Mmmm not so much. Prescott Bush kept funding Hitler illegally until the feds shut him down under the "Trading With The Enemies Act."

auntiegrav said:
NOBODY REALLY WANTS TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH.

Well, some of us do - hence our presence here. But I get your drift, for the vast majority out there, UFOs and all that paranormal stuff are way too spooky and threatening to be taken seriously.

Which brings me back to what I think is pretty obvious: The aliens occasionally turn up here and check up on us, only to find that we have learned nothing from their last visit - so, they turn around and go back home. Good choice, I reckon.

valiens said:
paulkimball said:
The problem I have is that people then spin this into some grand conspiracy, when in fact lots of people funded the Nazi government in the years leading up to the war because they thought Hitler could be controlled, or at least managed. That doesn't make it a conspiracy of anything, just a colossal misjudgment.

Paul

Mmmm not so much. Prescott Bush kept funding Hitler illegally until the feds shut him down under the "Trading With The Enemies Act."

And kennedy's dad thought Hitler was an okay guy. Like I said, colossal misjudgments, perhaps even out and out greed. A conspiracy? No.

You can try to make this a right/left issue if you want but you know that's apples and oranges. Funding Hitler through corporations after it's illegal IS A CONSPIRACY. If Kennedy's dad funded Hitler in kind, it would be a conspiracy. Doesn't matter who it is.

paulkimball said:
Yes, yes, old news. The problem I have is that people then spin this into some grand conspiracy, when in fact lots of people funded the Nazi government in the years leading up to the war because they thought Hitler could be controlled, or at least managed. That doesn't make it a conspiracy of anything, just a colossal misjudgment.
Paul

Isn't that a conspiracy? "they thought he could be controlled". (It actually sounds like the same rhetoric used to justify Bin Laden, Hussein, Idi Amin, Arafat, Castro, MacArthur, Ollie North, Poindexter, Blackwater Security, Noriega....etc etc...Do you see a pattern emerging here, Scully?)

Without conspiracy, WWII, Nicaraugua, Iraq, Israel, Panama, and El Salvador would just be a bunch of greedy bastards trying to make money playing both sides of a war. Take your pick. Which turns the planet into a burning cinder faster? I'll wish for conspiracies any day. At leas a conspiracy assumes somebody is thinking at least a little bit. The less you assign blame to them for thinking, the more they know they can get away with. "The Devil made me do it." "It was just bad luck in the stock market" "Who knew that manipulating the price of electricity in California would destroy thousands of retirement plans?""How were WE to know that sub-prime mortgages made bad collateral for loans?"
There ARE conspiracies behind every door. If you don't look for them, they will bite you in the ass.
Is the UFO coverup by governments a conspiracy? Of COURSE it is. But we have to call it what it is and look for the data and the people or we will never find out if it is good or bad. The United States government CONSPIRED (with Osama Bin Laden) to get Russia out of Afghanistan and it worked. SOMEONE has conspired to re-start the opium trade there also. Heroin kills thousands of people every year. Some are abducted and imprisoned and tortured for the simple purpose of making money, but it's not nearly as interesting as when aliens do it.
Every time you buy a car, there is a group of people that conspire to rip you off. Do you say to yourself "well, the law will protect me", or do you watch them like a hawk in order to get the best price you can without being handed the keys to a car that nobody else wanted? Should we look for a better deal than the hot fusion Tokamak reactors? Or just let MIT, DOE, and DOD decide what the future of energy is going to be?
The biggest difference in most cases is that there is an alternative source for information. In the case of military jets or secret r & d work, the only source is the government which spends as much time covering up its failures as hiding its successes (and everything in between that even remotely looks like it is connected to either, and when in doubt, it is classified). Been there, done that, got the T-shirt with a Spectre gunship on it. ("You can run, but you'll only die tired.")

I don't mean to be so long winded, Paul. I agree mostly with you. We need proof, but we also need motivation to find the proof, and suspicion of circumstances in all cases. We all will see what we choose to see. Hopefully, by hashing it out, we will see other points of view that we wouldn't otherwise consider, and sometimes, get our cages rattled. ;-)

Proof of the existence of UFO'S and aliens? There's a myriad of proof!
Just ask anyone who has seen one if they think that there is proof!

There are literally millions of people, world wide, who have seen a UFO over the years but people, generally debunkers and those with reasons to keep the phenomena covered up. These people then go about trying to tell the experiencers what they saw when they themselves weren't even there. It would be like some government or scientific nabob trying to tell David that the UFO he, his family and others saw was mass hysteria or Ball lightning (another debunking favorite). Scientists can't explain to them what they saw, how could they, were they there at the time?

In general, most of the people who witnessed events at Roswell, all those years ago gave their accounts and testimonies after being tracked down by fervent researchers and gave those accounts without asking anything in return. They didn't give a flying f***k if anyone believed them or not. [/b]Sure there are those who have given false testimony in the past and the present but they have been exposed and dismissed by researchers and even those who prowl these forums.

As for governments and "A Cover-up", Governments are "PAID"to cover things up, hell governments are paid to cover-up everything they do!
Anyone who thinks their Government is there to work for them and trusts them to do what is right for us is a moron. The people or organizations who have more money than the Government are paying them to shut up.
Why do you think there are donations and sponsorship of the various parties?
As for people like the Kennedy's and the Bush families actions towards the Nazi's and Hitler being "colossal mis-judgments" and not being conspiracy, it became conspiracy when they tried to cover up their involvement in it!
Those people are prime examples of why you should not believe ANYTHING
government say implicitly. Why else would there be levels of top secret above the president?

Governments won't tell you anything about the UFO phenomenon because it doesn't know anything, literally. Those who work above and around those Governments and pay off the relevant politicians to look the other way DO! If you are naive enough to believe that there is no shadow government or at least an entity that works beyond the auspices of it, then i wish you luck because pretty soon it will all come back to bite us all on the arse for being apathetic enough to let them get away with it. :p

The Pair of Cats said:
Proof of the existence of UFO'S and aliens? There's a myriad of proof!
Just ask anyone who has seen one if they think that there is proof!
<snip>
Governments won't tell you anything about the UFO phenomenon because it doesn't know anything, literally. Those who work above and around those Governments and pay off the relevant politicians to look the other way DO! If you are naive enough to believe that there is no shadow government or at least an entity that works beyond the auspices of it, then i wish you luck because pretty soon it will all come back to bite us all on the arse for being apathetic enough to let them get away with it. :p
As for me, I thank you for your anger at the subject.

I know there is a coverup, and I knew someone who took the film out of a fighter and handed it to a 'man in black' after a UFO scramble mission (This was back in the '60's). Yes, Virginia, there IS a coverup. Yes, there IS information available somewhere. Getting it is the problem. (or contacting aliens yourself and getting them to come to dinner)
Where there is a coverup, there's data; relevant or not.

"Top Men are working on it."
"WHO?"
"Top....Men." (cut to crate being stored on top shelf in the Endless Warehouse)
-From "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"

Isn't it just amusing when some people proclaim "There are no conspiracies!" What a hoot. Do these people even know what a conspiracy is, in legal terms? Try this:

http://www.answers.com/conspiracy&r=67

"Agreement between two or more persons to commit an unlawful act or to accomplish a lawful end by unlawful means. Some U.S. states require an overt act in addition to the agreement to constitute conspiracy. Individual conspirators need not even know of the existence or the identity of all other conspirators. In a chain conspiracy the parties act separately and successively (as in distributing narcotics). A civil conspiracy is not prosecuted as a crime but forms the grounds for a lawsuit. In antitrust law, conspiracies in restraint of trade (e.g., price fixing) are rigorously prosecuted. In the U.S. it is common to punish a conspiracy to commit an offense more harshly than the offense itself, but there has been a growing trend to follow the European example and make the punishment for conspiracy the same as or less than that for the offense itself."

"The crime of conspiracy originated as a series of statutes in fourteenth-century England prohibiting agreements to support false accusations in legal proceedings. Very soon thereafter, liability for an illegal agreement was also found for "confederacies" to evade taxes, commit treason, cheat, or evade just price, wage, and guild regulations. By the beginning of the eighteenth century, confederacy and conspiracy merged into the common law crime of conspiracy as it is now understood. "

At any given day, Google News lists tens of thousands of mainstream news items that contain the term "conspiracy". As I write, the number is exactly 37,129. A few examples:
"TCC conspiracy case shifts focus"
"Carlsbad man gets eight years for kidnapping conspiracy"
"Lynn Woman Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy and Filing False Tax Returns for Refunds"
"Marijuana conspiracy admitted"
I'm not finished yet... 37,125 items to go!

Claiming there are no conspiracies is laughable. It is akin to claiming there are no car accidents, or cheese burgers.

musictomyears said:
Isn't it just amusing when some people proclaim "There are no conspiracies!" What a hoot.
In defense of Paul K and Nick Pope; I think they are trying to see the world within certain moderate parameters. As we would all like to. Unfortunately, my 'moderation' gland malfunctioned many years ago, perhaps when my mother passed on Irish genetics to me. Perhaps it was that nasty stint with a Bipolar girlfriend. I don't know, but I do know that things don't change very much without "The Lunatic Fringe" (book title alert) to push things outside the envelope. Some of us tend to look for conspiracies to explain things, even though we know that the required conspiracy would be huge, expensive, difficult to prove, and easily denied by all involved. Others, like Paul and Nick, prefer to work like professional test pilots, starting within the parameters of known knowns, and gradually adding data on the edges of the known science.
I tend toward bigger changes to things or toward oversimplifying if possible. Generally, if someone says, "You're oversimplifying things." it is when they don't want to give up the weak advantage they thought they held through some specialized education or experience, and when someone says, "That's too complicated to work." it's because they know it would take a lot of work to learn enough of the details to grasp full understanding of that complexity.
With conspiracies, there are all kinds: but which kinds are we dealing with in the UFO fields? Are there some conspiracies that are like GM and the trolley systems, where "normal business practices" were used to eliminate competition and shift cities over to automobile transportation? Probably, right out in the open, where energy technology has been pushed to the looney bin by peer review processes and the occasional investment group, along with strategic appointments by well-oiled politicians.
There are others which are probably not as innocuous, but still not deep black. Just a simple campaign contribution here and there, complex risk actuarial formulas, and fear of (OH MY GAWD) communism eliminates the chance that our government will realize the waste involved in our insurance systems.
When it comes to government contracts and secret weapons, there is a continuous flow of crooked deals, insider trading, back-scratching, and just simple incumbent advantage which is occasionally brought out, hung on the clothesline, and whacked a couple of times to see what dust comes out, then put back down on the dirty floor of the pentagon meeting rooms. Journalists are happy that they saw something dirty, contractors have a little of their guilt assuaged, and the military gets to transfer out another general or admiral and promote someone who has been loyal into the hole.
In the meantime, there are places that NEVER see the light of day, and never will. There are programs paid completely out of money that is "taxed" from other programs without questions. There are connections to agencies (like the Secret Service, NSA, Mossad) which few people can imagine, and most shouldn't know about because they are integral to our current political security. There are entire aircraft and weapons lying around the world that have been lost at sea, buried in mountains for emergency use, hidden in cavities welded shut onboard ships, etc., that go beyond reasonable thinking. War isn't a reasonable business. Extreme threats and big Systems require extraordinary defenses and redundant replacements.
People that want to think in terms of what is 'normal' or 'reasonable' have little business in making war. That's what the UFO story is, whether aliens are really a threat to us or not, any government must treat them as such, develop measures AS THOUGH we would have to go to war with them or about them (the first country to develop antigravity would have free electricity, unbeatable weapons, unlimited resources (asteroids), and total responsibility for a world full of half-ignorant savage humans.) In some ways, we are better off limited by petroleum supplies and geographic barriers of roads, oceans and mountains.
Would a conspiracy that keeps the status quo be all that bad? Maybe not.
Being threatened by someone blowing up our oil wells is better than being threatened by someone who could lift a chunk of the planet into orbit or drop an asteroid on us.
Any interstellar civilization would have to have figured this stuff out by now, also. Why would you need to build a "Death Star" laser if you can simply push a planet out of its orbit or push a moon into a closer orbit?
What's a harder conspiracy to believe; that our government has hidden contact or technology and kept it hidden, or that the myriad of alien civilizations cooperates to avoid destroying us for some unknown moral code? Or is there something in human DNA that makes us see spaceships floating in the air that don't exist?
I don't think it's a matter of conspiracy/no conspiracy. There are conspiracies all around us. The matter of interest is which pieces of conspiracies (and military practices) fit into other conspiracies and business practices.
Is the civilized universe setting us up for some kind of pyramid scheme, where we end up paying in but never getting our money back? They are probably laughing at us and our competitive behavior all the way to the Pleiedes DNA bank.

Comic relief:
Pay attention to the punchline. Humor hurts.

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/uclickcomics/20071011/cx_bo_uc/bo20071011

Back