• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Why the constant message notifications?

Well I deleted all the messages again. This time in Safari. Now to wait and see if it happens again.

I do think it could be the way Tapatalk interacts with this particular server software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea. But remember that just deleting them from the inbox may not be sufficient. Be sure to look for an option that says something along the lines of: "Delete messages from server when emptied from trash." I don't use Apple, so I can't tell you for sure where it is or if you have that option. But try something like this:

Go to the 'Mail' menu, then 'Preferences', then choose 'Accounts' along the top bar. Choose your mail account, and then click the 'Mailbox behaviours' tab, and look at the bottom 'Trash' section. (The chances are that you have 'Move deleted messages to the Trash' not ticked and 'Store deleted messages on the server' ticked. Even if you are moving mail to Trash you should set an erase option.) You should see an option "Permanently erase deleted messages when".

If you can't find anything like that, then the messages might still reside from wherever server they were sent from. Like Gene says, it doesn't even appear to be the Paracast server. Hopefully this helps. Sorry if I stepped on any toes here. Just trying to help out.

You are missing the point. The messages he gets aren't formatted in the way our forum formats them.

If there are duplicates it may be an ISP issue or whatever email service you have. This is the first I've heard of this.

Can't deal with an issue unless we can duplicate it.
Got that. Just trying to help solve the problem regardless of the server source. If there are no messages on the server ( whatever it is ), it can't download them, and it won't send a notification. Just a thought.

Good idea. But remember that just deleting them from the inbox may not be sufficient. Be sure to look for an option that says something along the lines of: "Delete messages from server when emptied from trash." I don't use Apple, so I can't tell you for sure where it is or if you have that option. But try something like this:

Go to the 'Mail' menu, then 'Preferences', then choose 'Accounts' along the top bar. Choose your mail account, and then click the 'Mailbox behaviours' tab, and look at the bottom 'Trash' section. (The chances are that you have 'Move deleted messages to the Trash' not ticked and 'Store deleted messages on the server' ticked. Even if you are moving mail to Trash you should set an erase option.) You should see an option "Permanently erase deleted messages when".

If you can't find anything like that, then the messages might still reside from wherever server they were sent from. Like Gene says, it doesn't even appear to be the Paracast server. Hopefully this helps. Sorry if I stepped on any toes here. Just trying to help out.

Hi, this isn't about Mail or a mail server. This is the messaging system built into the Paracast forum software. All the screen shots I posted are of the forum. The interface with blue are the forum seen it Safari on my phone. The orange interface is Tapatalk.

In Tapatalk you can swipe to the left to delete a message. I'm guessing that doesn't work correctly with the forum software.

Viewing your inbox on a web browser, you have to select the message and choose "end conversation" as there is no delete option.

Regarding if Tapatalk is needed any more... I read about six different forums. It's inconvenient to use a web browser for that on a phone. Even a big phone like the 6 Plus. Tapatalk puts them in one place and formats them better.

Even replying to this post here in Safari was clunky. It wants to nest everything in quote tags even when you want to thread the quotes through the post.

Either way, instead of beating a dead horse, I'm going to guess there's something about Tapatalk that doesn't play well with the forum software and regenerates the list of messages every so often, and misattributes them to Gene. How that happens is anyone's guess. But it only happens with the Paracast forum.

The screen shot you sent with a directory of conversations is from our forum. The other screen shots you provided depict Tapatalk notices.

Unless I can personally duplicate this problem, and I have a similar iPhone setup to yours, that's not a lot I can do. Is anyone else having an issue of this sort?

If anyone's interested, this week's XenForo 1.5.3 update addressed an email issue or two, but not about duplicate messages. I didn't see anything recent on XenForo's support forum either.

I hope this settles the matter:

I did look through the Notifications settings of the latest Tapatalk. You can set it to notify you of a message instantaneously or have it send a daily digest of messages. You can also set XenForo to send you emails of posts in watched forums, which will duplicate what you get from Tapatalk, since they operate separately. So it may seem as if you're getting duplicate notices, but they are coming from two different systems. You can disable the notices from one or the other.

I have exactly the same issue. Let me check my settings, I'll report later what I've managed to figure out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, all i can see in terms of the settings to alter to be able to solve the issue is to go to the general settings --> push notifications--> Turn off "send me Private Messages". I have only one ore forum I manage via the app but I turned off push notifications there altogether before, can't remember why exactly. I'll turn them on to see if I can replicate the issue with another forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, this isn't about Mail or a mail server. This is the messaging system built into the Paracast forum software. All the screen shots I posted are of the forum. The interface with blue are the forum seen it Safari on my phone. The orange interface is Tapatalk.

In Tapatalk you can swipe to the left to delete a message. I'm guessing that doesn't work correctly with the forum software.

Viewing your inbox on a web browser, you have to select the message and choose "end conversation" as there is no delete option.

Regarding if Tapatalk is needed any more... I read about six different forums. It's inconvenient to use a web browser for that on a phone. Even a big phone like the 6 Plus. Tapatalk puts them in one place and formats them better.

Even replying to this post here in Safari was clunky. It wants to nest everything in quote tags even when you want to thread the quotes through the post.

Either way, instead of beating a dead horse, I'm going to guess there's something about Tapatalk that doesn't play well with the forum software and regenerates the list of messages every so often, and misattributes them to Gene. How that happens is anyone's guess. But it only happens with the Paracast forum.
That all makes sense. Hope you get it figured out. Things that seem like they should be simple are often anything but. If nobody has suggested it yet, under your preferences on the site, have you tried unchecking the:
  • Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
  • and receive email notifications of replies

Last edited:
Back