• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Why the constant message notifications?

DavidRavenMoon

anonymous anomalous
About once a month a get a notice saying "Gene Steinberg has sent you a message" and it's all the messages I have ever sent on the forum. They aren't from Gene. This just happened a few minutes ago.

And the thing is, I went and deleted all my messages when this happened the last three times. But it just keeps happening.

Is the forum being restored from a backup or something when this happens?

It's a bit annoying. On my iPhone the Tapatalk app will notify me like six times in a row that Gene sent me a message. And it's all my old messages.... Again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this is a digest or something? Please explain. Can you post a screen shot? I'm not aware of such an option in the forums.

So this is a digest or something? Please explain. Can you post a screen shot? I'm not aware of such an option in the forums.

I didn't take a screen shot before I deleted the messages. And iOS didn't seem to retain them in the message center.

I use the Tapatalk app on my iPhone for reading forums. The Paracast in one of them.

This has happened at least six times already; every so often, maybe once a month or two, I get a notice from the forum stating "Gene Steinberg has sent you a message." And it does this multiple times in a row. And what it is is messages I have sent or received on the forum from other members, not from you Gene. And they are old. I haven't sent a message in a few years.

And they look to be sent by you, but they are all old messages.

So I've started deleting all my messages to see if it would stop, since there are no messages to send, but every so often it happens again.

And it happened right before I posted this thread.

It's as if the system is restoring the deleted messages and saying you sent them.

I don't use Tapatalk anymore since we made the forums responsive, which means that it works satisfactorily on desktop and mobile platforms. It may be that Tapatalk is sending you that message. Maybe you should check your settings. We aren't sending them.

It's not coming from Tapatalk. It's coming from the forum software.

I just looked and there was one message I didn't delete.

Here you can see if looks like you sent it.

f4ef2a21dccb8dc87362b3398b64e7f2.jpg

But you didn't. And it's from 2009!

c0fe3d480c04c89b1a452f5b5a55fe17.jpg

That is not our forum interface. It appears to be generated by something else, perhaps Tapatalk. If you login without Tapatalk you'll see that it's very different.

Or look at this example, which is the format in which the forum sends message emails:

Screen Shot 2015-12-01 at 2.18.07 PM.png

I'm viewing the forum using Tapatalk on my phone. That's the interface you see. But Tapstalk is not sending message on the forum. They are also there when I view the forum in Safari.

We send emails of single messages to watched forums, or when you keep the option to receive emails in response to a posting. But they don't contain the messages you post yourself, nor do we send a digest of multiple messages. They are in the format you see in my screen shot, above the includes they boilerplate message at the bottom on how to remove yourself from mailings. That's done in compliance with anti-spam laws

What you post doesn't at all match that format. That's why I considered whether Tapatalk is generating it.

Gene, Tapatalk is just software for reading forums. Like the way a web browser is for reading web sites. So I don't see how it would create messages.

I read about six forums in Tapatalk and this has only ever happened here.

I just went to my inbox in Safari, and all the messages I had deleted are back again! But at least it doesn't say it's from you.

image.png

Gene, for crying out loud! You are sounding like you know nothing about technology even though you have been writing about it for how long now?

That's how my inbox looks in iOS 9.2 in Safari on my iPhone 6 Plus. If you looks different for you then I don't know what to say. I'm guessing you haven't tried it with an iPhone?

So far none of your responses have been productive at all.

image.png Long and short is that the interface on my iPhone with the 9.2 public beta is similar to the desktop screen shot I posted as you can see above, which is from my Inbox.

I still don't see what you are seeing.

Gene, for crying out loud! ...

You don't seem to be the only one experiencing similar problems, not just here but elsewhere: Duplicate Text Messages--every time | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Your initial suggestion about the server makes a certain amount of sense, but I don't know enough about how phones interact with them to offer a definitive solution. But it does seem that it's something that can happen because of issues on either end ( server and/or phone ).

My guess: The phone's old message DB ( if it has one ) is cleared when you delete all your messages, so it doesn't know it's already had them in there, and downloads 'em again because they were never cleared from the server on deletion ( like you can in regular email ).

I hope maybe these clues can help you both figure this out.

Last edited:
Well I deleted all the messages again. This time in Safari. Now to wait and see if it happens again.

I do think it could be the way Tapatalk interacts with this particular server software.

You are missing the point. The messages he gets aren't formatted in the way our forum formats them.

If there are duplicates it may be an ISP issue or whatever email service you have. This is the first I've heard of this.

Can't deal with an issue unless we can duplicate it.

OK. The interface of the messages you receive comes from Tapatalk. I just confirmed that. Please check your Notifications settings for that app.

Gene, that's not true. The screen shots with the orange interface are Tapatalk. The screen shots with the blue interface are via Safari.

I'm also running the iOS 9.2 public beta. I'm not sure why you think yours looks different.

Also to clarify, the notices I was getting that you sent a message was through Tapatalk. Otherwise I get emails for posts and stuff, and I'm realizing I didn't get those for the messages.

I came here just to see if anyone else was having the same issue.

Back