• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Why don't paintings like this receve mainstream attention?

W

wezzy

some of these century old paintings depict ufos so obvious is boggles the mind that this doesn't get international attention and speculation debate

all of these things are painted long before the whole ufo "flying saucer" media sensation happened

some examples

crivell2_compressed.jpg

Blowcri_compressed.jpg

The above painting is by Carlo Crivelli (1430-1495) and is called "The Annunciation" (1486) and hangs in the National Gallery, London. A disk shaped object is shining a pencil beam of light down onto the crown of Mary's head. A Blow up of the object is next to the painting.

LOOK at that...i mean come on....just LOOK..no more needs to be said

-----------------------------------

deg2.jpg

This image is by flemish artist Aert De Gelder and is entitled "The Baptism of Christ" It was painted in 1710 and hangs in the Fitzwilliam Musuem, Cambridge. A disk shaped object is shining beams of light down on John the Baptist and Jesus.

OMG....JUST OMG

------------------------------------

these are just some of many such paintings that seem to show stuff like this

stuff like who the person is leonardo da vinci painted next to jesus on his last supper painting (a man or woman...is it mary blablabla you know the story) gets international attention like there is no tomorrow but these things are forgotten hanging in museums?

hello media? you there?
instead we get headlines like "britney shaves head bald...our panel will discuss it at 11" and mindless blabber like that:confused:

why don't paintings like this recieve mainstream attention?

Interesting paintings. I don't recall seeing any with light beams shooting out of the "craft".

Many things in the bible can be interpreted as ufo events. Back then they didn't think in terms of aliens, so the sky was the heavens and any possible visitors were called angels or perhaps demons. Even the virgin birth and the star of Bethlehem could be interpreted as abduction related.

Two reasons come to mind. First, no money in it. Stocks, war, weather, celebrity gossip, sports. There's money connected to all of those. Curiously UFO-like objects in paintings from hundreds of years ago? Nope. Maybe if they run short of stories on a slow news day, you'll catch it as part of "human interest" story. Expect the usually "little green men" level of ridicule though.

And second, art is a highly subjective medium. For instance, I recall that first painting from my art history classes. It's subject matter is (taught as) being incidental to the actual exercise, namely an exploration of one-point perspective. Obviously it isn't meant to be literal, as the art depicts a romanticized, contemporary (for the painter's era, that is) architecture and style of fashion as opposed to the more historically accurate dress and setting of De Gelder's painting.

One other thing to consider (and something that always bugged me) about art history was the overriding assumption that artists don't ever do things on a whim, as a tribute, as part of a trend or for ambiguous reasons unknown to anyone but themselves. Espescially odd, considering the number of my fellow art students who did exactly those things!

So, while some may look at a painting like this and say "That's clearly a primitive interpretation of a UFO!", the truth is we really have no idea why that aritst painted that in there (unless they kept a journal). Since the mainstream media is (theoretically) concerned with reporting the facts and we have nothing to work with here except speculation on one side and dry acedemia on the other, it seems pretty obvious as to why they just aren't interested.

A.LeClair said:
Interesting paintings. I don't recall seeing any with light beams shooting out of the "craft".

Many things in the bible can be interpreted as ufo events. Back then they didn't think in terms of aliens, so the sky was the heavens and any possible visitors were called angels or perhaps demons. Even the virgin birth and the star of Bethlehem could be interpreted as abduction related.

Absolutely - "Chariots of Fire".

There is more going on than just the things we see. There are chariots of fire doing battle in the spiritual realm (Revelation 6:9-11; Philippians 4:6,7)

I'm not religious at all, but I do find some of the scenes described in religious texts 'interesting'.

Try this link:

Religion and UFOs - UFO Evidence

Great site for all things 'UFO'...

A.LeClair said:

yea thats what i've been thinking all along too

theres TONS of ufo references in the bible...check out www.bibleufo.com

what a mindblow it would be if after all this time religious people found out that god is just an extraterrestrial superbeing mistaken back in the day for something it is not because the people where still ignorant of many things:)

These pictures are all explainable thru that time period's religious symbology. If you go to ATS's UFO board and do a search, a gentleman who studies religious art explained what all these objects were, and why they were in the pictures.

In short, they were anything but UFOs.

What they are is essentially misperceptions and ignorance of the symbology.

They are all detailed here with excellent examples and explainations.

ART and UFO - Intro

Good site, though he may be exaggerating the claims of ufologists, by saying many ufologists consider the painting proof of a close encounter. At least I don't know any that consider it proof. But, there are some researchers out there that do make seeming oddities out to be more than they are.

I've never got too involved in the ancient artifact and ufo related interpretations of the bible or religious text. It's too ify. Possibly related, but I rather go with stuff that's more in our time period.

Those are defintely interesting... I love those paintings. Sure some are simple as the sun and the moon, but I think others are depicting something other worldy. Whether it be there symbolic impression of heaven/God/angels or just an actual UFO in the sky - or even a connection between the two. I don't really think they all are simply explained away.

If you look throughout history there has been plenty of depicition of 'UFOs' and aliens, so I dont see how modern times would be any different. I can see how people can find similarities with historic and ancient texts with UFO's. Maybe people in those days did experience alien encounters and explained them away as God, angels and chariots of fire, wheels in the sky, etc..

these types of paintings are not only religious in nature. they are found on walls of cave man dwellings.

pixelsmith said:
these types of paintings are not only religious in nature. they are found on walls of cave man dwellings.

Those as well could be totally mispercieved, as none of them are really that direct as showing conclusive evidence of anything "alien".

I'd encourage everyone to really read the site, and see that all these are pretty easily explained. It's just another case of people wanting to believe or to support their belief with uneducated perceptions of what they think is represented.

jritzmann said:
Those as well could be totally mispercieved, as none of them are really that direct as showing conclusive evidence of anything "alien".

I'd encourage everyone to really read the site, and see that all these are pretty easily explained. It's just another case of people wanting to believe or to support their belief with uneducated perceptions of what they think is represented.

Or they simply weren't aware that the artists actually gave an explanation as to what they depict. I wasn't aware of explanations for many of the paintings I saw there til I visited as an example. I was open to it being ufo related, nothing out of a need, or wishful thinking though.

I've read a bit on this subject and I'm open to multiple interpretations because the mind-set of these painters is so far removed from ours. It could be that during that time there existed a pictorial conception of the holy spirit that resembled a ufo, for example.

Having said that, the painting that I find the most compelling is called the Madonna of St Giovannino. In the better resolution photos of this painting, you can see that the "ufo" depicted is a glowing solid metallic object. This object is not the main focus of the composition but a background item. What also makes this painting particularly interesting is that there is a man with a dog in the background holding his hand to his eyes and looking up specifically at this object in the sky. This highlights the fact that this object in the sky is something of significance.

Here's a link to a somewhat decent resolution photo:
<br><br><a href="http://www.soultravel.nu/2006/0510-Balducci/Madonna-SaintGiovannino.jpg">painting</a>

Wow, that is a teriffic site, thanks! It does indeed explain the images I have seen as "proof" of ufo's on tv shows in the past. None of them went to any length that I can recall to explain these things simply and logically.

BrandonD said:
the painting that I find the most compelling is called the Madonna of St Giovannino. In the better resolution photos of this painting, you can see that the "ufo" depicted is a glowing solid metallic object.

That one is also fully explained, no UFO, although it'd be easy to mistake it.

maybe the objects seen in our skies are mearly religious artifacts. the misperceived black triangles are simply Holy Trinities floating about.

move along folks, nothing more to see here... lol

jritzmann said:
That one is also fully explained, no UFO, although it'd be easy to mistake it.

I went and looked at that site you referenced after I posted that picture... the site explains it pretty well, and I'm glad they include other instances of the same scenario. It looks like the "renaissance mind-set" clause I added at the beginning of the comment was applicable after all. Thanks for the info.

pixelsmith said:
maybe the objects seen in our skies are mearly religious artifacts. the misperceived black triangles are simply Holy Trinities floating about.

move along folks, nothing more to see here... lol

There are some who think the greys are demons. I recall Pat Robertson calling for ufologists to be stoned to death based on this idea. His co host was so embarrassed for him, she even went on Art Bell to apologize on his behalf. Guess he couldn't. Although there are a few people in the field I would like to doink pebbles off of, calling for stoning is a bit much. It be nice if he caught up with this century. Or at least the last one.

A.LeClair said:
There are some who think the greys are demons.

I'm definitely not opposed to that being the case. Although these days more often then not I call them simply "toxic", or that any relation to them is toxic. That could be a by-product of us, or them.

A.LeClair said:
I recall Pat Robertson calling for ufologists to be stoned to death based on this idea.

Let he who is without sin...

Back