• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Why does science have such an issue with the paranormal?

There must be hundreds of honest scientists who are curious about paranormal issues and would like to conduct serious investigations, but almost none of them will admit it. There are probably thousands of reasons why, but here are a few.

[...]

3. Even if maverick scientists were to independently fund and conduct paranormal investigations, there is no peer-reviewed publication for them to publish results. In the world of science the phrase "publish or perish" is literally true.

Rather, there's no respected peer-reviewed journals for them to seek publication. Here, we encounter the thin-line between pseudoscience and legitimate science. Now, a peer-reviewed journal is an indicator, but not always a hallmark, of good science. There is some leeway for scientists to discuss "legitimate" controversy in journals, but this is limited to the confines of the operative paradigm (e.g. in physics, any such debate around FTL propulsion would implicitly assume Einstein's relativity). There's good reasons for that, but dangerous side-effects, as well.

The standard peer review process mandates, at minimum, that an applicant cite recent research (<5-7 yrs.) in their prospective paper. In fields which are maligned for the reasons you've cited above, the review process is an in-built barrier to honest consideration of enigmas not readily explainable by science. You can't have research if you don't have funding. A one-man operation can only last so long. The annual research output in an obscure, but legitimate science likely dwarfs a "parascience" like UFOlogy.

There are scientific journals (like the Journal of Scientific Exploration) dedicated to the study of enigma like UFOs, but wholly refrain from endorsing a definite hypothesis about the issue one way or another. This is in stark contrast to Christian Intelligent Design "journals", which are in reality thinly-veiled PR (like "Answers") to shoehorn Creationism as a legitimate science. Honest science doesn't claim to have the "answers" to start with! Rule of thumb: you can tell apart a good "parascience" journal from who sits on its editorial board. People with real Masters/PhDs from accredited institutions with previous research in notable journals (Nature, Science, Physical Review Letters, etc.) are credible. They're trained in the scientific method, but are also wary of science's conservative tendency to trivialize conflicting data. These are the open-minded skeptics you should look for.

Since they're trained in science, the peer review process should be very similar to, if not exactly the same, as an established journal. People with no scientific training (in particular those with little/no experience with peer-review process), in contrast won't write the same terse guidelines for publication which define the academic rigor of say, Nature. There is, of course, room for dissent in such journals--I'm not claiming that there's a consensus on the outcome of research; only that the guidelines for publication be relatively consistent. The journal is a moderated forum for the frontiers of knowledge.

I want to emphasize a previous point--peer-review is an indicator of good science. But bad apples can still fall through the cracks. Such authors are mandated to withdraw the offending papers and revoke their credentials. So, what of peer-reviewed "para-science" publications? There's ontologically no difference between Nature and Journal of Scientific Exploration, because the method of inquiry, the publication guidelines, the self-corrective mechanisms, are the same. The only difference is the subject matter they study. On what basis can UFOlogy be pseudoscience? Clue: He's referring to the pop culture notion (i.e. aliens flying around in spaceships)!

Just as the pop culture notion of science is distorted (science doesn't prove things), so too are such maligned areas of research distorted by popular media. Those distortions are internalized by scientists. This is compounded by the fact that parascience is by definition inexplicable to the reigning paradigm, so we aren't pressured to take it seriously. It's not a "legitimate" controversy, like the multiple worlds understanding of quantum mechanics.

I've hinted at another paradox: How can accepted contradictions exist within science (e.g. relativity and QM), and yet have a consensus on what science is ? The basis for some skepticism is that the enigma is inexplicable. But that's nonsensical. Quantum mechanics contradicts relativity, in its descriptions of the same phenomena, and its equations. There are attempts at unification (known as quantum field theory), but so far only two in the field (QED + QCD) have mainstream consideration, the unification of relativity with a quantum description of electromagnetism, and strong nuclear forces, respectively.

General Relativity on gravity: Gravity is the apparent force felt as an observer accelerates through curved space-time.

Quantum Mechanics on gravity: Gravity is the result of virtual exchange quanta (in this case, the graviton) which transmit forces.

Mainstream science has an attitude toward parascience, but it's not an informed consensus. You can use the same scientific method (!) to build models which explain the phenomena in question. It's been done before (Paul Hill, Unconventional Flying Objects). The trick is to have an internally (+ externally) consistent model with great explanatory power. Mainstream science is unaware of the work done to transform UFOlogy, NDEs, etc. to respectable fields of research, so I'm not surprised they label it pseudoscience. By the way, research often starts with a modicum of good data and a bank of anecdotal evidence. If anecdotes were worthless, clinical medicine and psychology would be dead.

The history of science is often romanticized. There are thought to be eternal, strict rules of what governs good science. Experiments must be reproducible, the hypothesis should be clear, the methodology and data should be easily accessible, and work well-cited. But it's not uncommon for ground-breaking work to be lacking at least one of these requirements. Its standardization is in fact a very recent development. Heck, "falsifiability" only became accepted in the 1960s! I don't think fortunate chance is given enough credit for these break-throughs. When it comes to how I think science is conducted, a lot of it is anarchistic, unordered. But we should be careful to distinguish honest curiosity-driven work (para/proto-science) from intentional fraud (intelligent design).

I'm starting to babble now...I'll stop here. :)

Last edited:
Rather, there's no respected peer-reviewed journals for them to seek publication. Here, we encounter the thin-line between pseudoscience and legitimate science. Now, a peer-reviewed journal is an indicator, but not always a hallmark, of good science. There is some leeway for scientists to discuss "legitimate" controversy in journals, but this is limited to the confines of the operative paradigm (e.g. in physics, any such debate around FTL propulsion would implicitly assume Einstein's relativity). There's good reasons for that, but dangerous side-effects, as well.

The standard peer review process mandates, at minimum, that an applicant cite recent research (<5-7 yrs.) in their prospective paper. In fields which are maligned for the reasons you've cited above, the review process is an in-built barrier to honest consideration of enigmas not readily explainable by science. You can't have research if you don't have funding. A one-man operation can only last so long. The annual research output in an obscure, but legitimate science likely dwarfs a "parascience" like UFOlogy.

There are scientific journals (like the Journal of Scientific Exploration) dedicated to the study of enigma like UFOs, but wholly refrain from endorsing a definite hypothesis about the issue one way or another. This is in stark contrast to Christian Intelligent Design "journals", which are in reality thinly-veiled PR (like "Answers") to shoehorn Creationism as a legitimate science. Honest science doesn't claim to have the "answers" to start with! Rule of thumb: you can tell apart a good "parascience" journal from who sits on its editorial board. People with real Masters/PhDs from accredited institutions with previous research in notable journals (Nature, Science, Physical Review Letters, etc.) are credible. They're trained in the scientific method, but are also wary of science's conservative tendency to trivialize conflicting data. These are the open-minded skeptics you should look for.

Since they're trained in science, the peer review process should be very similar to, if not exactly the same, as an established journal. People with no scientific training (in particular those with little/no experience with peer-review process), in contrast won't write the same terse guidelines for publication which define the academic rigor of say, Nature. There is, of course, room for dissent in such journals--I'm not claiming that there's a consensus on the outcome of research; only that the guidelines for publication be relatively consistent. The journal is a moderated forum for the frontiers of knowledge.

I want to emphasize a previous point--peer-review is an indicator of good science. But bad apples can still fall through the cracks. Such authors are mandated to withdraw the offending papers and revoke their credentials. So, what of peer-reviewed "para-science" publications? There's ontologically no difference between Nature and Journal of Scientific Exploration, because the method of inquiry, the publication guidelines, the self-corrective mechanisms, are the same. The only difference is the subject matter they study. On what basis can UFOlogy be pseudoscience? Clue: He's referring to the pop culture notion!

Just as the pop culture notion of science is distorted (science doesn't prove things), so too are such maligned areas of research distorted by popular media. Those distortions are internalized by scientists. This is compounded by the fact that parascience is by definition inexplicable to the reigning paradigm, so we aren't pressured to take it seriously. It's not a "legitimate" controversy, like the multiple worlds understanding of quantum mechanics.

I've hinted at another paradox: How can accepted contradictions exist within science (e.g. relativity and QM), and yet have a consensus on what science is ? The basis for some skepticism is that the enigma is inexplicable. But that's nonsensical. Quantum mechanics contradicts relativity, in its descriptions of the same phenomena, and its equations. There are attempts at unification (known as quantum field theory), but so far only two in the field (QED + QCD) have mainstream consideration, the unification of relativity with a quantum description of electromagnetism, and strong nuclear forces, respectively.

General Relativity on gravity: Gravity is the apparent force felt as an observer accelerates through curved space-time.

Quantum Mechanics on gravity: Gravity is the result of virtual exchange quanta (in this case, the graviton) which transmit forces.

Mainstream science has an attitude toward parascience, but it's not an informed consensus. You can use the same scientific method (!) to build models which explain the phenomena in question. It's been done before (Paul Hill, Unconventional Flying Objects). The trick is to have an internally (+ externally) consistent model with great explanatory power. Mainstream science is unaware of the work done to transform UFOlogy, NDEs, etc. to respectable fields of research, so I'm not surprised they label it pseudoscience. By the way, research often starts with a modicum of good data and a bank of anecdotal evidence. If anecdotes were worthless, clinical medicine and psychology would be dead.

The history of science is often romanticized. There are thought to be eternal, strict rules of what governs good science. Experiments must be reproducible, the hypothesis should be clear, the methodology and data should be easily accessible, and work well-cited. But it's not uncommon for ground-breaking work to be lacking at least one of these requirements. Its standardization is in fact a very recent development. Heck, "falsifiability" only became accepted in the 1960s! I don't think fortunate chance is given enough credit for these break-throughs. When it comes to how I think science is conducted, a lot of it is anarchistic, unordered. But we should be careful to distinguish honest curiosity-driven work (para/proto-science) from intentional fraud (intelligent design).

Well said - what is your area of study?

I want to emphasize a previous point--peer-review is an indicator of good science. But bad apples can still fall through the cracks. Such authors are mandated to withdraw the offending papers and revoke their credentials. So, what of peer-reviewed "para-science" publications? There's ontologically no difference between Nature and Journal of Scientific Exploration, because the method of inquiry, the publication guidelines, the self-corrective mechanisms, are the same. The only difference is the subject matter they study. On what basis can UFOlogy be pseudoscience? Clue: He's referring to the pop culture notion!

Well if that was babbling, then babble away until your hearts content, that was a good read.

I study political science, but I have an interest in the philosophy, ideology and institution of the natural sciences. I also have an interest in physics.

Who doesn't!? ;-) Very good - have you read Michael Ruse?

I want to emphasize a previous point--peer-review is an indicator of good science. But bad apples can still fall through the cracks. Such authors are mandated to withdraw the offending papers and revoke their credentials. So, what of peer-reviewed "para-science" publications? There's ontologically no difference between Nature and Journal of Scientific Exploration, because the method of inquiry, the publication guidelines, the self-corrective mechanisms, are the same. The only difference is the subject matter they study. On what basis can UFOlogy be pseudoscience? Clue: He's referring to the pop culture notion (i.e. aliens flying around in spaceships)!

By the way, research often starts with a modicum of good data and a bank of anecdotal evidence. If anecdotes were worthless, clinical medicine and psychology would be dead.

Excellent point! I think standards in clinical medicine and psychology are most comparable to those in parapsychology:

http://deanradin.com/evidence/evidence.htm

. . . in other words, the same evidence and methods are accepted in the first two fields that are rejected as being in adequate in the last.

falsifiability and anarchy and paradigms

Popper and Feyerabend and Kuhn, oh my!

So you've given it some thought then.
After decades as a paranormal enthusiast, I've come to the conclusion, as have many others, that paranormal phenomenon almost surely has to do with the electrical or chemical function of the human brain. I know there has been some work done in that regard, Michael Persinger for example, but I am surprised by the lack of interest by "mainstream" neurologists and psychiatrists.

Last edited:

It has been my experience that some peers are seen as being better than others. Routinely the skeptic, more specifically the skeptical debunker, scoffs openly at articles published in JSE claiming that there's no real science in there. I find the articles to be detailed and durable, but my interests in physics are mild at best. Aside from the subject matter being discussed would you say that in general, scientists actually do see JSE as a legitimate peer reviewed journal (thinking of the great number of articles about the Hessdalen lights I've tracked down in that journal)? Or would you say that it is only mocked in academia because of the subject matter. Is it fair to say that there are classes of scientists that tend to see JSE as stretching the boundaries of scientific rigor and would never publish in JSE because it will dampen their own reputation? I'm surprised and refreshed to hear it being spoken of as on par with other scientific, peer reviewed journals.

Last edited:
It has been my experience that some peers are seen as being better than others. Routinely the skeptic, more specifically the skeptical debunker, scoffs openly at articles published in JSE claiming that there's no real science in there. I find the articles to be detailed and durable, but my interests in physics are mild at best. Aside from the subject matter being discussed would you say that in general, scientists actually do see JSE as a legimate peer reviewed journal (thinking of the great number of articles about the Hessdalen lights I've tracked down in that journal)? Or would you say that it is only mocked in academia because of the subject matter. Is it fair to say that there are classes of scientists that tend to see JSE as stretching the boundaries of scientific rigor and would never publish in JSE because it will dampen their own reputation? I'm surprised and refreshed to hear it being spoken of as on par with other scientific, peer reviewed journals.

Anecdotally paranormal researchers - I think Dean Radin, Jeff Kripal others - report being publicly scoffed at and then receiving a call from the same scientist to apologize and report their own experiences - someone else felt like this public/private discrepancy might capture a majority of working scientists.

I've also read that many scientists make a sharp divide between their work and private beliefs - so might speak differently in these two contexts.

Also Kary Mullis 1993 Nobel laureate in chemistry and the glowing raccoon.

Scientists and Belief | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very interesting, smcder! I recall an informal survey by Peter Sturrock of Stanford around 1977 that surveyed scientists opinions on UFOs. A significant portion thought there was something strange to it, but were afraid of speaking out due to potential ridicule. The same could be said for other parascience topics.

I'd also note that the term "pseudoscience" implies that scientists have a monopoly on what good science is. For some strange reason, many scientists and skeptics think supposing that UFOs (i.e. the technological aspect of the problem) exist is "jumping to conclusions". But we're not supposing their existence. We're arriving at it through science. Only sanctioned methods like SETI are seen as delivering a credible conclusion on whether intelligent alien life exists, let alone whether visitation has already happened.

SETI's a good starting point. But it comes from a completely different angle: detection. The reason I think scientists focus on detection of alien life, is because we need confirmation of their existence in order to logically suppose visitation, which is represented in popular culture by UFOs. If ETI hasn't been detected, it can't visit us...because we have no way of confirming their existence otherwise. It's a Catch-22.

The conversation changes from UFOs to aliens--when aliens are only a small, and sometimes dubious, part of UFOlogy. This is also possibly why some people dismiss UFOs altogether. To the skeptic, it's putting the cart (aliens) before the horse (detection of alien life). But of course, that logic doesn't explain the numerous close-encounter reports we've had post-WWII, and we still haven't confirmed existence of ETI on a large-scale. It seems someone is misguided. Plus, we need a cut-off point to talk about ETI. We may as well look at witness reports. It contradicts what science tells us to expect about alien life, but...

Accepted Methods for Searching For Intelligent Life:
  1. Scanning for radio waves of specific frequency (i.e. SETI)
  2. The state of professional astronomy now allows us to search for probable life-harboring planets more efficiently with newer methods like starlight spectrum analysis to determine the composition of nearby planets' atmospheres.
  3. ??? (Feel free to add).
Of course, none of the above methods have returned results of ETI. It's no surprise scientists scoff. They have completely different expectations about it! They want aliens to land in front of a meeting of the American Physical Society and present a technical paper on the propulsion system of their craft. No joke, that's what Condon wrote in The Condon Report.

Thus, mainstream science (unjustifiably) ignores other ways to study the UFO problem aside from ETI detection. ETI is a related issue, but there's more to it. I don't think the problem is entirely alien; a few classic cases seem to indicate otherwise.

Last edited:
It has been my experience that some peers are seen as being better than others. Routinely the skeptic, more specifically the skeptical debunker, scoffs openly at articles published in JSE claiming that there's no real science in there. I find the articles to be detailed and durable, but my interests in physics are mild at best. Aside from the subject matter being discussed would you say that in general, scientists actually do see JSE as a legitimate peer reviewed journal (thinking of the great number of articles about the Hessdalen lights I've tracked down in that journal)?

I probably shouldn't triple post, but...

Good question. It's difficult to say what other scientists think of JSE as a whole. The subject matter is fairly broad, so it depends. In terms of the Hessdalen Lights, it's top notch research. Related papers on the lights have also been published in Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics and the Journal of Atmospheric and Solar Terrestrial Physics. A mechanism to explain the spectrum of Hessdalen Lights phenomenon - Springer (You can read the abstract for free). So, it's safe to say that scientists think of the Lights as a legitimate venture. As to the others...I could only guess, they don't look upon it too kindly.

Is it fair to say that there are classes of scientists that tend to see JSE as stretching the boundaries of scientific rigor and would never publish in JSE because it will dampen their own reputation? I'm surprised and refreshed to hear it being spoken of as on par with other scientific, peer reviewed journals.

JSE definitely has its critics. There are scientists of all stripes--some are open to research that mainstream science won't touch, and others will simply scoff. Some--like Hynek--go through a transition after initially being skeptical (in his case, UFOs as a legit problem). And that's completely alright. Even within the JSE itself, there's debate and criticism. That's what science is--hammering out ideas, seeing what fits best. So, I don't see why JSE shouldn't be compared to Nature, at least in terms of its method.

Unfortunately, you can't completely erase a journal's reputation. We should keep in mind that reputation doesn't indicate quality. The problem with measuring the reputation of a parascience journal like JSE is that its "impact factor" is immediately lessened by the very nature of the subjects it studies. Journals like Nature are reputed for their publishing of ground-breaking research, i.e. research with immediately apparent theoretical or practical value. This boosts their impact factor (a good thing).

There's no known practical applications for UFO research. Yes, there are hypothesized applications like field-based propulsion systems, but those concepts are already expounded upon in established journals. Propulsion-related findings will come from Nature or Science, not JSE. The theory is tricky for a few reasons. Firstly, some research appears to contradict current science. For example, near-death experiences (NDEs) indicate that consciousness is non-local. But current science indicates that consciousness is confined to the brain, a result of physical processes--even if that hasn't been completely hammered out.

How can such a study be published in Journal of Neuroscience? It would fail publication right away. There's no credible theory that could explain how consciousness is non-local; we only have compelling anecdotes. Science needs evidence, facts and theory. So, it seems such work will be brushed to the periphery, even if there's a seed of truth. Further, only details of minor interest could ever possibly be published in such a journal. This is the case for NDEs.

Oh yes, researchers expound at length on these details, and that leads to some minor research (in terms of impact) in other areas. But no details of consequence (i.e. non-local consciousness) could ever be published without serious scientific backing. It simply contradicts the reigning model. The reason QM co-exists with relativity, despite contradiction, is because QM accurately describes atomic scale events, and relativity accurately describes macroscopic events. But phenomena can be described using both QM and relativity (gravity, for instance). This has naturally led to a unification effort--quantum gravity.

To respond to your last question--I do think scientists are discouraged from publishing in para-science journals. In today's publish-or-perish world, the last thing you want is to spend precious time writing for a (supposedly) terrible journal. If you look at the Council Members of the JSE, a few like Sturrock are retired. This suggests to me:

a) You must have significant creative freedom to even touch such a journal;
b) You have a significant reputation to begin with.

A few are associated with prestigious schools like Princeton and Stanford, both known for their creative freedom (Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab, which studies topics like parapsychology, btw). I see another handful from small colleges.
Eh. It probably depends. But no doubt, it's a real fear.

Last edited:
I updated my post with more info. :) Enjoy!

I got to poking around on Science and Nature archives - stumbled on this that is relevant to this thread and the discussion on another thread about human nature and science - this is about statistical errors and misuse in mainstream science:

Scientific method: Statistical errors : Nature News & Comment

For many scientists, this is especially worrying in light of the reproducibility concerns. In 2005, epidemiologist John Ioannidis of Stanford University in California suggested that most published findings are false2; since then, a string of high-profile replication problems has forced scientists to rethink how they evaluate results.
. . .

For many scientists, this is especially worrying in light of the reproducibility concerns. In 2005, epidemiologist John Ioannidis of Stanford University in California suggested that most published findings are false2; since then, a string of high-profile replication problems has forced scientists to rethink how they evaluate results.

But while the rivals feuded — Neyman called some of Fisher's work mathematically “worse than useless”; Fisher called Neyman's approach “childish” and “horrifying [for] intellectual freedom in the west” — other researchers lost patience and began to write statistics manuals for working scientists. And because many of the authors were non-statisticians without a thorough understanding of either approach, they created a hybrid system that crammed Fisher's easy-to-calculate P value into Neyman and Pearson's reassuringly rigorous rule-based system. This is when a P value of 0.05 became enshrined as 'statistically significant', for example. “The P value was never meant to be used the way it's used today,” says Goodman.

. . .

Perhaps the worst fallacy is the kind of self-deception for which psychologist Uri Simonsohn of the University of Pennsylvania and his colleagues have popularized the term P-hacking; it is also known as data-dredging, snooping, fishing, significance-chasing and double-dipping. “P-hacking,” says Simonsohn, “is trying multiple things until you get the desired result” — even unconsciously. It may be the first statistical term to rate a definition in the online Urban Dictionary, where the usage examples are telling: “That finding seems to have been obtained through p-hacking, the authors dropped one of the conditions so that the overall p-value would be less than .05”, and “She is a p-hacker, she always monitors data while it is being collected.”

. . .

A few are associated with prestigious schools like Princeton and Stanford, both known for their creative freedom (Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research Lab, which studies topics like parapsychology, btw). I see another handful from small colleges.
Eh. It probably depends. But no doubt, it's a real fear.

on the closure of PEAR

". . . the closure highlights a long running question: how permissive should science be of research that doesn't fit a standard theoretical framwork, if the methods used are scientific?"

Nature 446, 10-11 (1 March 2007) | doi:10.1038/446010a; Published online 28 February 2007
The lab that asked the wrong questions
Lucy Odling-Smee

Abstract
Closure of parapsychology lab throws spotlight on scientific taboos.

A medley of random-event machines, including a kaleidoscopic crystal ball on a pendulum, a pipe spurting water and a motorized box straddled by a toy frog, came to the end of their working lives yesterday at the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) laboratory in New Jersey. Only romantics — and some parapsychologists — are likely to lament the loss of this unique institution, which investigated whether people can alter the behaviour of machines using their thoughts.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v446/n7131/full/446010a.html

also available here:

The lab that asked the wrong questions. | ReadCube Articles

That's very interesting, smcder! I recall an informal survey by Peter Sturrock of Stanford around 1977 that surveyed scientists opinions on UFOs. A significant portion thought there was something strange to it, but were afraid of speaking out due to potential ridicule. The same could be said for other parascience topics.

Right, I don't think any easy generalizations come out of it - certainly Dennet's idea to name the New Atheist movement "The Brights" was naive from a PR point of view - Plantinga is obviously an intelligent person with a belief in God - could you argue he has a more sophisticated conception of God or that his intelligence helps him navigate threats to his belief . . . ? It also shows up that the modern paradigm isn't immune to critique from traditional viewpoints - critique that is hard to dismiss in its particulars . . . and not only traditional viewpoints - many secular philosophers offer critique as well, with alternative paradigms.

Right, I don't think any easy generalizations come out of it - certainly Dennet's idea to name the New Atheist movement "The Brights" was naive from a PR point of view - Plantinga is obviously an intelligent person with a belief in God - could you argue he has a more sophisticated conception of God or that his intelligence helps him navigate threats to his belief . . . ? It also shows up that the modern paradigm isn't immune to critique from traditional viewpoints - critique that is hard to dismiss in its particulars . . . and not only traditional viewpoints - many secular philosophers offer critique as well, with alternative paradigms.

I don't know what kind of God Platinga believes in. But it still looks like mental gymnastics to argue you don't have to offer evidence for an extraordinary claim. I go with Hitchen's Maxim: That which is proposed without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. But I'm open to clearly defining an idea of God(s).

on the closure of PEAR

". . . the closure highlights a long running question: how permissive should science be of research that doesn't fit a standard theoretical framwork, if the methods used are scientific?"

Nature 446, 10-11 (1 March 2007) | doi:10.1038/446010a; Published online 28 February 2007
The lab that asked the wrong questions
Lucy Odling-Smee

Abstract
Closure of parapsychology lab throws spotlight on scientific taboos.

A medley of random-event machines, including a kaleidoscopic crystal ball on a pendulum, a pipe spurting water and a motorized box straddled by a toy frog, came to the end of their working lives yesterday at the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) laboratory in New Jersey. Only romantics — and some parapsychologists — are likely to lament the loss of this unique institution, which investigated whether people can alter the behaviour of machines using their thoughts.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v446/n7131/full/446010a.html

also available here:

The lab that asked the wrong questions. | ReadCube Articles

That's a shame to hear. Thanks for sharing.

To respond to an earlier question: No, I haven't heard of Michael Ruse.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of God Platinga believes in. But it still looks like mental gymnastics to argue you don't have to offer evidence for an extraordinary claim. I go with Hitchen's Maxim: That which is proposed without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. But I'm open to clearly defining an idea of God(s).

theres no such thing as extraordinary evidence, theres just evidence, thats either convincing or not.

Back