• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

When/Where were Greys first encountered?

Frootloop

Nutball
Well the title says it all really, where and when were these beings first encountered? Does it stem from the reports of the events at Roswell or even earlier than that?

We all know what a "Grey" looks like thanks to the description of a being with a frail structure, large head and oversized deep black eyes decrribed by the majority of abduction and contactees. There are exceptions of course such as "The Kelly Green Men" encounter, but has the "Grey" has now imbedded itself as a symbol in our paranormal culture?. A quick search on Google Images shows that most images focus on the familiar "Grey". The most obvious exception of course being the "Alien" that Lt Ripley found on LV-426 ;)

Frootloop said:
We all know what a "Grey" looks like thanks to the description of a being with a frail structure, large head and oversized deep black eyes decrribed by the majority of abduction and contactees. There are exceptions of course such as "The Kelly Green Men" encounter, but has the "Grey" has now imbedded itself as a symbol in our paranormal culture?. A quick search on Google Images shows that most images focus on the familiar "Grey". The most obvious exception of course being the "Alien" that Lt Ripley found on LV-426 ;)

I think that the book Communion embedded the grey in our pop culture. I'm sure there were earlier accounts, but I think this is the thing that catapulted them into public consciousness.

Call me out you guys if I'm off here.

BrandonD said:
Frootloop said:

I think that the book Communion embedded the grey in our pop culture. I'm sure there were earlier accounts, but I think this is the thing that catapulted them into public consciousness.

And don't forget the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

BrandonD said:
Frootloop said:

I would blame Close Encounters. But it's a variety of things over time.

I once talked with the list UFOupdates as to which came first, star trek beam me up, or the ufological beam me up stories. No one seemed to know. James Oberg from NASA, you may know him as a debunker, said it would make a good thesis project, he didn't know. I'm a college and high school drop out, so none of that for me.

Frootloop said:
So, do we assume that the grays apparance is based upon fiction or that our fictional depiction based on them?

Well certainly fiction has played a roll in what many people report. There are tons of liars, and people that are mistaken. In fact, every person but 1 that I've worked with are "abuctees" that have had sleep paralysis . But, much fiction is based on reports within ufology. It's not a either or situation but both/and.

Paranormal Packrat said:
Frootloop said:
So, do we assume that the grays apparance is based upon fiction or that our fictional depiction based on them?

Well certainly fiction has played a roll in what many people report. There are tons of liars, and people that are mistaken. In fact, every person but 1 that I've worked with are "abuctees" that have had sleep paralysis . But, much fiction is based on reports within ufology. It's not a either or situation but both/and.

It may also be -- and now we're getting to a deeper discussion -- that what we see in the paranormal world has a distinct cultural aspect. That's why the creatures seen in different parts of the world tend to be somewhat different, although popular culture today infects the entire world fairly quickly.

Perpaps thats why some believe that there has been so many species of alien observed. It could just be down to an individual's interpretation of what is experienced or an expectation on the part of the contactee as to what they should be seeing thanks to popular belief in their culture.

Frootloop said:
Perpaps thats why some believe that there has been so many species of alien observed. It could just be down to an individual's interpretation of what is experienced or an expectation on the part of the contactee as to what they should be seeing thanks to popular belief in their culture.

The beginning of a long and fruitful discussion, and no pun intended. :D

You're all forgetting Betty and Barney Hill, way ahead of Close Encounters (probably where Speilberg got the design from).

CapnG said:
You're all forgetting Betty and Barney Hill, way ahead of Close Encounters (probably where Speilberg got the design from).

But the creatures they saw weren't exactly comparable to our modern image of gray aliens.

Gene Steinberg said:
But the creatures they saw weren't exactly comparable to our modern image of gray aliens.

Not precisely, no but greyish skin with large "wrap-around" eyes is the core element of their description. The modern concept could have evolved from/been based on that.

In such scenarios who knows how the person will react and what details (if any) they will remember. If a being has a large head and deep, black eyes those features when comparing to the human physiology are VERY exagerated and would be relatively easy to recall, subtleties may be easily forgotton.

Perhaps the creatures choose how to appear. Their appearance as 'greys' may be the best they can manage in an effort to fit-in with our human expectations.

Back