• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What's your favorite 1980's sci-fi movie?

Did I miss Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan? Magnificent over-acting by Shatner and Montalban.

Did you know that, in making that film, Shatner and Montalban never actually worked together?

From Wikipedia:

"New Yorker critic Pauline Kael said Montalbán's performance as Khan "was the only validation he has ever had of his power to command the big screen." Montalbán agreed to take the role for a significant pay cut, since by his own admission, he relished reprising the role, and his only regret was that he and William Shatner never interacted – the characters never meet face to face, except through video communication – as their scenes were filmed several months apart in order to accommodate Montalbán's schedule for Fantasy Island. When Montalbán guest-starred in the Family Guy episode "McStroke" as a genetically engingeredcow, his character made several references to his role as Khan, and similar references were made in his role as Gutierrez in the cartoon series Freakazoid."

Fascinating!

I also liked the first Star Trek directed by Nimoy, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock in 1984. Christopher Lloyd did a great turn as a Klingon, a surprising role since he was usually known for comedy until then. But he did the first Back to the Future the following year.

I wanted to list the original Total Recall, the one with Schwarzenegger and Sharon Stone, but it came out in 1990. Well, it was filmed in 1989. :)
Man I loved that movie so much, the effects and the story was superb. That new garbage they put out was a disgrace to the name. If I had the cash I would pay someone to build me a real working RC Johnny cab which you can sit inside.

Some great picks above. A few others not mentioned yet:

1984 (I guess it's science fiction - certainly dystopian)
Bad Taste (Peter Jackson minimal-budget splatfest SF comedy)
RoboCop

Back