• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What's with Bill Birnes and the Glasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreenman

Skilled Investigator
I've recently taken to watching UFO Hunters,and while I don't want to sound like GWB, I'm wondering why Bill Birnes never takes off his sunglasses.
Is it for medical reasons?

Because if he's just wearing them for "effect", he looks like a kook. 8)

I think he thinks it makes him look cool.

I also think maybe he wants to distract attention away from those horrible looking teeth, which is also why he always wears the hat. That and shameless self-promotion of course.

:cool:

Its a way to add entertainment to his character. It is like the leather jacket he wears, so people listen to his long stories and think of Tom Cruise

I don't know if it is a medical condition or a nervous twitch -- but if you ever have seen "blinky" without his glasses, you will notice he blinks his eyes about every two seconds.

Maybe he is trying to cover that up.

err, guys, it would be the producers telling him what to do. The same people who come up with the scripts and sensationalise everything also kit these guys out to look like characters from a movie like "Twister".

Its lame.

I was brought out to LA last summer to be interviewed for the episode on Dr. James McDonald. They took us to Topanga Canyon in July, which was 100% sun and about 100 degrees, give or take. As usual, I had my ball cap on (quite handy that day), and a pair of sunglasses (also mucho handy). Birnes was there, along with a Kodak photographic expert who was going to conduct an experiment in relation to the Heflin photos.

Anyway, after waiting in the sun for almost three hours to be interviewed, they finally got around to me. I was quickly told by a producer that despite the fact I would be looking directly into the sun when I was interviewed, I would have to lose the ball cap and sunglasses, as only Birnes could wear those - they were his "thing". Fortunately I had a tilley hat with me, so I wore that.

As it turns out, I didn't make the cut in the program, despite what the producer said was a great interview. Just as well - I wasn't impressed with Birnes, although the crew, which was really running things, was professional enough.

Paul

i have seen him without them. it is best he wear the shades. :cool:he has a twitch that is a little distracting. i wouldn't make fun of it, he obviously can't help it.

I've recently taken to watching UFO Hunters,and while I don't want to sound like GWB, I'm wondering why Bill Birnes never takes off his sunglasses.
Is it for medical reasons?

Because if he's just wearing them for "effect", he looks like a kook. 8)

He has a facial twitch, I think that's why he wears them more than anything....

IMO the whole show is carefully choreographed to the last detail. This includes the 'good cop bad cop' routine between the actors. Bill Birnes is not as credulous as he appears, and the new skeptic in the crowd is always skeptical at first, but at the end, when all the 'evidence' is in, he will always say, "Gee, I don't know what to think now!" as if his skepticism has just melted away.

It may be a stretch to call this 'big budget,' but they have some bucks to spend on silly 're-creation' stunts, world travel, and some cool graphics. They have done SOME credible work in recounting existing cases, but it's not like anyone is going to cite them in a scientific paper. It's OK entertainment if you can stand their incessant repetition. I think they're having fun doing the show and probably making an ok living out of the deal. Birnes finally scored and he's going to keep the thing going as long as he can. It makes a lot more money than UFO Magazine.

At the very least he should take them off when looking at evidence. I've never seen his show (don't have cable / satellite) but did see a clip in a video posted here where he could "almost see a frame" on some balloons with flares hanging off the bottom of them, and while I was thinking it the video editor flashed something about taking them off. That's just common sense.

I consider the glasses and crap to be pretentious, myself... so what if he's got a tick of some sort... anyone who can't take someone seriously for having a tick is a dick! If you've got a nation full of people watching the show and all they can think about is "that guy's got a tick", then that's on them... *they* need to get some mental discipline and learn how to pay attention to the proper things. As long as we continue to cater to moronicism it will continue to flourish unabated.

Fuck em, Bill... look em right in the eye and blink all you need to buddy!

IMO the whole show is carefully choreographed to the last detail. This includes the 'good cop bad cop' routine between the actors. Bill Birnes is not as credulous as he appears, and the new skeptic in the crowd is always skeptical at first, but at the end, when all the 'evidence' is in, he will always say, "Gee, I don't know what to think now!" as if his skepticism has just melted away.

It may be a stretch to call this 'big budget,' but they have some bucks to spend on silly 're-creation' stunts, world travel, and some cool graphics. They have done SOME credible work in recounting existing cases, but it's not like anyone is going to cite them in a scientific paper. It's OK entertainment if you can stand their incessant repetition. I think they're having fun doing the show and probably making an ok living out of the deal. Birnes finally scored and he's going to keep the thing going as long as he can. It makes a lot more money than UFO Magazine.

Thats pretty much what I was getting at too.

I just watched tonights show with the "Star Child" (Gene and David have a show on it so go do a search). And it is totally lame now. I'm done with it.

I just watched tonights show with the "Star Child" (Gene and David have a show on it so go do a search). And it is totally lame now. I'm done with it.

I've only just listened to that episode with Lloyd Pye a few days ago.

I think what surprises me is that these "investigators" never appear to have done their homework BEFORE they shoot the show. While I have nothing against UFO entertainment shows, the least the producers could do is to not make a mockery out of UFO researchers.

JMO and worth everything you paid for it. :rolleyes:

Some doorknob got their nose in a twist so I have edited my post.

I cannot adequately explain my contempt, as I cannot find words foul enough to describe the people who deserve to be run out of this medium.

Which is why when I do get around to publishing my monthly magazine, I will exclude them, and all those who are affiliated with them on any level. Thus giving a voice, and platform to credible and reliable witnesses and events, instead of the printed and televised time vampires they offer.

Wait, they had on Crap Pye and his fantastic Chicken Skull of Mirth?

Well, there you go. A shit pie without a crust. If they stuck Lear and Sereda on the same episode, it would be the perfect trilogy of vapidity. How sad.

dB

I was watching a recent UFO Hunters about Dulce. Bill got all flustered when the bearded guy was questioning Bill's parrotting of John Lear's "stories" He said something along the lines "I saw drawings of photos with my own eyes!". Apparently this is a solid lead for this huckster.

I was watching a recent UFO Hunters about Dulce. Bill got all flustered when the bearded guy was questioning Bill's parrotting of John Lear's "stories" He said something along the lines "I saw drawings of photos with my own eyes!". Apparently this is a solid lead for this huckster.
Let's just put this in perspective: TV networks (cable and broadcast) are not in the information business. They are in the profit-making business. If a show gets good ratings, they get more sponsors who pay higher rates. That's what it's all about.

Whatever you think of Bill Birnes, he's just hired help. He plays his role and that's the beginning and end of it. Some of this chatter is real close to simply defaming him, and he has a right to make a living.

If you don't like the show, fine. Don't watch it. If people stop watching the show, they take it off the air and that's it.

Let's just put this in perspective: TV networks (cable and broadcast) are not in the information business. They are in the profit-making business. If a show gets good ratings, they get more sponsors who pay higher rates. That's what it's all about.

Whatever you think of Bill Birnes, he's just hired help. He plays his role and that's the beginning and end of it. Some of this chatter is real close to simply defaming him, and he has a right to make a living.

If you don't like the show, fine. Don't watch it. If people stop watching the show, they take it off the air and that's it.

I agree with Gene, to a point. Having seen Birnes in action on a shoot, he is really just the hired help. I was told by one of the producers that Birnes is basically just the front of camera guy. So, if you have criticism of UFO Hunters, direct it at the producers more than Birnes. Having said that, nobody puts words directly into Birnes' mouth (at least not from what I saw), so he has to take some responsibility for what he says and does.

Paul

Finally Gene makes some fricken sense. Birnes seems like a good guy to me, based on all his Paracast interviews. Maybe he is less strict about who he lets into his personal credibility sphere, because maybe he just doesnt care that much.

If you ignore the UFO Hunters stuff Birnes has a decent record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back