• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What Would You Do If This Was Your Grandmother?

I believe this one was settled out of court with the granny recieving $70,000 in compensation.
The Federal Courts are telling cops to keep their tasers in their pants, too.
Federal court restricts Taser use by police - latimes.com
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Now that's a bunch of BS. That woman got what she deserved. The job of the police is to Protect and Serve. She was acting in anger (which unarguably clouds judgment) moving towards traffic and towards the officer in a hostile manner. It's Texas, she could very well have been packing heat. Being old doesn't excuse being a moron; quite the contrary, it makes being a moron even more offensive. If she's 72 years old and hasn't learned to respect the man with the gun yet, she's never going to.

Obviously being taken down in a humane manner hasn't taught her shit. $70,000 settlement? So much for Don't Mess with Texas.

-Mike

"What would you do if this was your grandmother?"

I have a counter question what would you do if she ran over your child, parent or brother/sister and killed or seriously injured them?
A car doing 60 in a 45 mph zone = dangerous driving.
she was only tasered when she resisted arrest she is still alive.
Fortunately she did not kill anyone but she could have so I have 0 sympathy for her.
peace and love han

Enjoy your enslavement.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I think speeding and driving dangerously are usually two separate issues, and that speeding tickets are mostly cash cows rather than public safety measures. Therefore giving someone a hefty sentence just for speeding is probably unjust most of the time. The fact is that modern vehicles and roads over here in north America are engineered for speeds much higher than the posted limits. Nearly everyone speeds as a matter of course, so one would think that the desire of the majority of the population would be respected and the limits raised. Instead they oppress drivers by forcing them to drive slower than within reason, and then force them to hand over money if they don't. It's literally highway robbery.

Last edited:
First of all welcome to the forum Usual Suspect.

I wouldn't wholeheartedly condone speeding but it is relative, three miles over a posted speed limit is speeding but there does have to be a limit especially in school zones and what good is a limit if you don't have the teeth to back it up.

Having said that, I think erratic driving( constantly changing lanes and speeds( which tends to be done by drivers that are unsure of their surroundings or location accounts for more accidents even though it can be argued that this is more innocent that disobeying speed limits.

Back