• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What reason did you choose your name for?

I have a memory like a sieve, so I needed something easy to recall. My surname and the year I was born. Plus, it looks good on the back of my NY Mets shirt (thank my lovely wife for that one....)

Lovebucket is a character in an old british comedy series called the comic strip presents, an episode called Mr jolly lives next door, if you now it, let me know so that i feel some love!!!!!

Did Nicholas Parsons play Mr Jolly? I vaguely recall seeing this many years ago. Not to be confused with Psychoville's Mr Jelly though.......

Did Nicholas Parsons play Mr Jolly? I vaguely recall seeing this many years ago. Not to be confused with Psychoville's Mr Jelly though.......

close, nicholas parsons played himself (opening an off-licence) and Peter cook played Mr Jolly, a serial killer who played 'whats new pussycat' by tom jones while he killed!!!

Great stuff!!!!

Just came back after an email reminder that this place exists!! (hehe)

This is kind of my default internet name particularly on Trekkie sites (I do have other usernames), so I use it here too.

Kukalaka is Dr. Bashir's (my favourite TV character's) teddy bear in Star Trek : Deep Space Nine (fave show). "kukalakana" is just a variation on that. & Most people on Trekspace (trekspace.ning.com) call me Kuka for short.

I think the biggest reason people choose a name is so they can sort of hide behind an anonymous moniker. It then becomes rather easy to just spout whatever stuff you want to because there is no affiliation with who you really are. It becomes very impersonal and sometimes leads to comments that one would probably not ever actually say if there name was associated with it.

In a way I'm kind of against the use of random names because of the veil it provides. However I don't mean to blanket everyone as I know this may not have even occured to some people. And some of them are clever and have meaning I suppose. But I just basically use my name because, you know, it's my name.

The only thing I don't like about using my name is that sometime, for whatever dumbass reason, someone (employer, etc?) could possibly use this against me because I participate in such a wacky forum right?? But what the hell, if I am at some disadvantage because of a forum I occasionally comment in, then screw them. They're probably off in a church somewhere praying, .... but that's OK because it is accepted practice huh?? At least I'm honest and if that isn't a good quality (which we certainly need more of these days) then well, I guess I'm wrong for using my name. I'll tell you though I do normally think about what I'm saying (twice) because I know my name is right there with my comments.

I will at times sign my own name and if asked I more than likely will provide it. Just didn't think that much of it since most people pick a screen name that's personal to them. The other thing I found funny was the thing about employers and people praying. I agree that I do get concerned about things like that. Ya never know and I work in social services for a state agency. But, I read a poster on another forum the other day say they would never hire anybody they say as a Christian or tea party member. So, ignorence and intolerance as usual cut both ways. :)

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

But, once I know a little about where a person is coming from I have no problem with giving my real name. I have on occassion removed a post I had made because it involved a real person. I felt that I were gonna slam them on a public forum then it wasn't right to hide behind a screen name. Although, public people such as politicans and celebrites kind of have a catagory of their own imo.

I hate the fact that you can and will be judged by whoever concerning what you post in forums, facebook, etc. The microscope is getting bigger and bigger all the time it's no wonder people want and require anonymity.

Please no personal opinions or individuality (conform now!)!!! That seems what society would have us do. Instead it also seems we are all urged and encouraged to become liars because no one wants to hear a truth from someone else they don't agree with. And not only do they not want to hear it, they will exclude you or blacklist you because you, .... (eat meat, are conservative, are overweight, saw a UFO, etc ... take your pick) To me that's a sad state.

I don't have any problem with telling people my real name and being associated with myself. It's Ash, btw. There. See? NO wurries. Only thing I can think of as far as using (another) different username for semi-anonymity is the pseudonym I use when posting fanfiction. There. I write Star Trek fanfic. Not exactly vying for social points here, are we?

And I couldn't care less what my boss does or does not know about my hobbies (it's none of his business anyway) and I've never posted anything on any forum that is worth shying away from, if anyone were to ask me, "Hey did you write that?" And I've been mentioned on air in other podcasts as Kuka and Ash, together. Been well and truly outed. So much for anonymity huh.

I actually find the opposite: The real names, dumped on us by ancestors at a time when they barely knew us, obscure who we are at our core far more than do the usernames we choose. A username is just more interesting, imaginative, and reflective of our inner personalities.

Back