• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What is your craziest dream???

Free episodes:

R

Recon

I mean anything... scary, strange, recurring, I mean anything that made you wake up and say WTF was that all about.

Oh God too many to list. Every dream makes me wonder. I realize they seem crazy for good reason though. So I don't mistake them for actual events and because I am interpreting them with the laws of logic and rational thought. Which doesn't apply to the dreaming self. The dreams make sense to the dreaming mind, just not the waking one.

A new member that lives in the same area as me just posted a weird dream. Can't recall the details. Maybe she'll happen on this thread and share it. I'm having a hard time remembering any dreams that I can explain that are weird. Dreams are often VERY hard to explain. Anyone else ever noticed that?

well..the recent one was the one about reconstituting the Starchild in the bathtub with water and trailmix, but I think the weirdest one I ever had was about an evil scientist turning hamsters into green peas...interestingly, also in a bathtub (they were swimming at the time)...(don't ask me how green peas swim....I have no idea)....what is it with me and bathtubs:confused: hehe

Recently I had a dream where I was in a creepy old house with a hole in the ceiling. I could see something odd through the hole, so I went outside. When I got out, I could see the sky was a giant vortex, like the wormhole in DS9, only it was comprised entirely of what looked like bats made of purple lightning, circling each other. In the center of the vortex was what appeared to be a giant hawk or eagle head. No body, just a head.

For the record, I was having sinus trouble and took a dose of Nyquil before bed that night. Good, ol' Nyquil...

Actually, I suppose I should mention this: Your Online Source For Dream Interpretations it might be of interest.

Raevenskye said:
well..the recent one was the one about reconstituting the Starchild in the bathtub with water and trailmix, but I think the weirdest one I ever had was about an evil scientist turning hamsters into green peas...interestingly, also in a bathtub (they were swimming at the time)...(don't ask me how green peas swim....I have no idea)....what is it with me and bathtubs:confused: hehe

Don't know. Might symbolize cleaning. Or if the water ends up going down the drain, might symbolize that, "Things are going down the drain".

But if you think about it, hamsters and peas are just as strange as the bathtub. Any ideas why you dreamed of hamsters or peas?

CapnG said:
Recently I had a dream where I was in a creepy old house with a hole in the ceiling. I could see something odd through the hole, so I went outside. When I got out, I could see the sky was a giant vortex, like the wormhole in DS9, only it was comprised entirely of what looked like bats made of purple lightning, circling each other. In the center of the vortex was what appeared to be a giant hawk or eagle head. No body, just a head.

For the record, I was having sinus trouble and took a dose of Nyquil before bed that night. Good, ol' Nyquil...

Actually, I suppose I should mention this: Your Online Source For Dream Interpretations it might be of interest.

Ew. The worst tasting stuff on the planet, if you drank it. I prefer the pills. Doesn't coat your throat though.

Cool dream, especially the electric bat part.

A.LeClair said:
Don't know. Might symbolize cleaning. Or if the water ends up going down the drain, might symbolize that, "Things are going down the drain".

But if you think about it, hamsters and peas are just as strange as the bathtub. Any ideas why you dreamed of hamsters or peas?

at the time i had the dream (1st marriage) i needed to do some house cleaning! hehe never had a hamster (lots gerbils and mice, tho), and i hate green peas...i have water dreams a lot tho...flooding the road usually...the water was dirty in the hamster dream, clean in the Starchild dream...and the Starchild dream took place in my current house...current bathroom...hamster dream was in mad scientist's lab....
i also have recurring dreams about being in elevators that malfunciton and start free-swinging, or turning upside down....
anyone else have this one?

and CaptG: I am loving the electric bats...did the hawk/eagle head say anything to you?

Raevenskye said:
I am loving the electric bats...did the hawk/eagle head say anything to you?

No, it was just sort of ... there. Like it was guarding the other side of the wormhole/vortex thing, silent but looking very fierce. The bats were very cool. To help you visualize, picture one of those electrical circle panels you see in novelty shops (like on the borg alcoves), it was that sort of thin, wispy, rapidly fluctuating electricity only vivdly purple. There were no details on the bats themselves, as if they were invisible and merely outlined by the lightning. Were I still in my youth and had time for such things, I probably would have made a painting of it.

Green peas and hamsters? Wow! That is weird! Weird, but also cool.
I've lately had recurring dreams about having to travel in space. My planetphobia keeps haunting me, it seems. I keep having to travel to the outer planets and I'm always terrified of them and feel a horrible sense of danger and evil from them, especially Jupiter.
I've had 3 of these dreams within the last month and I always wake up thinking, WTF is this all about? Why planets and why would I ever have a reason to be afraid of them?
Pretty dumb, huh?

A common dream that others and myself have is losing teeth. I have that quite a bit, where many of my teeth come loose. So loose that they are almost falling out. I usually end up pulling it. But the thing is, is that in my dream I'm already missing some teeth and it worries me that I'm losing more. I hear it means that you're afraid of losing something close to you. But why teeth and not an arm or leg I wonder? Wonder if it has something to do with teeth being a symbol for smiling or happiness, or speech. Not sure, it's open to interpretation.

A.LeClair said:
A common dream that others and myself have is losing teeth. I have that quite a bit, where many of my teeth come loose. So loose that they are almost falling out. I usually end up pulling it. But the thing is, is that in my dream I'm already missing some teeth and it worries me that I'm losing more. I hear it means that you're afraid of losing something close to you. But why teeth and not an arm or leg I wonder? Wonder if it has something to do with teeth being a symbol for smiling or happiness, or speech. Not sure, it's open to interpretation.

I've had similar dreams, A.LeClair, either of losing teeth, or sometimes chewing on glass. (Ick!) I read somewhere that it can either mean what you've stated, or that you want to be able to say something to somebody, but are either unwilling or unable to. I dreamt of losing teeth a lot when I worked in a department I hated. I couldn't complain during the day so I guess my dreams tried to do it for me.

I have a variation of the teeth-dream, but it's that I have braces (again), and they're falling off, and I'm trying to stick them back on. I also have one about contact lenses, and I'm cleaning it, and as I clean it, it's getting bigger and bigger and I'm trying to stuff this gigantic lens into my eye! hehehe
Come to think of it, now that I'm using the night & day lenses (that you can sleep in for 30 days), I haven't had one of those dreams! hmmm

Had a weird one I just woke up from. Part of the dream was me being in a Dave Chapelle skit where we were in a parking lot that was also a ocean. We were spinning a HUGE inflatable whale over our heads. Dave kept making it bigger and bigger, while we spun it faster and faster. The thing ended up covering the whole parking lot. The skit was making fun of a friend of his who had a big blow hole (was a big blow hard).

Okay... bizarre dream, almost a nightmare. I was in High School again, looking at a paper when I lost my vision but not fade-to-black, it was a white out. When I regained my sight I looked out the window and saw to my astonishment a mushroom cloud looming up in the distance. Panic swept through the school. We were instructed over PAs to get outside to the shelter. Once outside a second nuke went off also some distance away. As I watched the second mushroom sprout I thought "So much for SDI!" And a moment later "... and so much for aliens saving us at the last minute!"

But then, on the horizon appeared a dot, which rapidly became a disc which approached us ever faster. A UFO! Saved! But wait... something's wrong... it's very primitive looking. Like a ferris-wheel had sex with a tractor. It lands and out leap scores of Taliban (!?!?) They begin systematically machine gunning rows and rows of students fleeing towards the shelters. I realize the only hope of escaping the terrorists and the bombs is to flee back into the school, to the deepest level and hide.

I begin running. Pel-mel down flights of stairs, glacing through doors (you know the kind they have in schools, they're mostly glass) seeing more and more terrorists enter the school, cutting off escape routes, mowing down students. I become aware that another bomb has landed, much closer this time. Down, down, so many stairs. Eventually I reach a sub-basement, barely a crawlspace. I've been moving at top speed yet somehow there's a terrorist right behind me. At the last moment I reach the crawlspace he stops pursuit and leaves....

I do a sort of cosmic-zoom. Up, out of the crawlspace, out of the school, I can see the yard, the "UFO" takes off, higher into the sky now, I can see an ICBM aimed directly at the school. Staying with the missile now as it plummets, I get my last dose of surreal horror: There's an american flag on the side. These bombs weren't part of a co-ordinated attack, it was the US response to the taliban UFO, nuking friendly soil trying to stop it, like using a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito!

Any arm-chair freuds wanna take on that gem?

Raevenskye, you asked earlier if other people have had dreams about elevators that malfunction and then go upside down.

I used to have this one quite often. I haven't had it for about a year now I think.

Does anyone else have dreams about being either hooked up to around radios.TV's alarm clocks or anything technologically that you hear, try to unplug or shut off and it keeps going.
I call these the BORG dreams. Most of the time they feel dark but sometimes the music/talk/sound is pleasant and not quite AS irritating.

Recon said:
I mean anything... scary, strange, recurring, I mean anything that made you wake up and say WTF was that all about.

I lived for a year in my grandparents' old house, and during that entire time I had the most vivid dreams of my life. Not only that, but they were also extremely long. I started keeping a dream journal at the time and I was able to fill up 2 of them, front and back!

They were all pretty weird, here's one that has a bit of strange and a bit of scary:

Nov 6 - It began in a big old house. Melissa (ex-girlfriend) was there and she had some type of sickness. I was showing her around this house, which was large and dark and very cool-looking almost like a haunted house. I showed her a great deal of the house, and then I said, "You've only seen 50% of it."

Then I was by myself in a room of the house and there was an upright piano in the room. There was a slot in the top front area of the piano, like the mail slot on a front door. It went all the way through the piano so I looked behind it and there was a wooden mantle, almost like a fireplace mantle, behind it on the wall. There was a circular hole in the mantle right behind the piano slot, so I walked into the next room to see if the hole went all the way through the wall. It did, and there was a little metal fan sitting in front of the hole on the opposite side, and this fan was facing an old rocking chair (there's an illustration at this point, unfortunately not included).

I suddenly had the realization of what this whole contraption was all about: This house had no real fireplace, so the piano was a special type of piano that generated heat while you played it. This heat went out through the slot, through the hole in the wall, and in the next room the fan blew this hot air on to the person who sat in the rocking chair. In my head I saw a scene of a young girl playing the piano in this cold house to keep her grandfather warm, who was sitting in the chair in the other room.

Next, I was lying on the ground. I was immobile, like something heavy was on me. I looked up, and three angels were standing in front of me. Behind them in the background was a mountain, and three carved staircases wound up the mountain to cave openings way up near the top. The far left staircase looked like it was plated in gold, the middle one was red with some sort of carved designs on it, and the right one was the same color as the mountain and it looked like it had been neglected for a long time.

The middle angel, who might have been standing on me because I had a feeling that it was he who was holding me down somehow, his face was difficult to look at and he kind of scared me. He might have been wearing something roman looking.

Each angel was standing in front of a staircase. The angel to the right walked up to me. He seemed friendly and he said, "I am 8, this is 29," and he gestured to the angel on the opposite side. Then he said, "I am really 6, because I found the light when I was drawing, and I am not very fond of drawing flames."

Then 29 said, "None of us are." But 8 replied, "Oh no, some of us are quite good at it." Both 8 and 29 were fair-complected and light haired.

Then my attention went back to the middle angel who said, "Make your wish." I couldn't see his face, and I wasn't sure what he meant, so I said, "I wish for you to let me go," and they laughed and I got kind of scared again.

The next thing I remember they were taking me up the staircase 29 was standing in front of, the gold staircase.

Yeah, so that's a weird alice in wonderland one, complete with nonsense conversations and everything. But it was very realistic and pretty scary.

As a child (30yrs ago), I had a frequently recurring nightmare. My mother, father, brother, and I would be entering our house, walking through the kitchen. I would be walking through, the last in line. Then a small robot, with long arms would roll out from under the kitchen cabinets. The robot looked somewhat like the Lost In Space family robot. It would grow taller, grab me, shrink to small size again, and pull me under the cabinet baseboards with it: I was paralyzed and screaming, but no sound would come out of my throat. Extremely vivid, and terrifying for a 5yr old child, I would wake up screaming quite often. What did it mean?

Two or three times in my lifetime I’ve had a dream that: wasn’t a nightmare, but had a nightmare’s intensity; was retained upon awakening; wasn’t arbitrary, but made sense; and which therefore isn’t tedious to relate. Voiçi:

I found I had died, and had been transported to an enormous, tall, hall whose self-illuminated walls glowed, providing a menacing, flickering twilight. Think of a Grand Central Station done by Gustav Doré, but one twice as tall, and stretching off into the distance farther than one could see. In the shadows one glimpsed awesome, majestic structures, full of odd details, akin to the gargoyles on a medieval cathedral. In a way, the impression was like a cathedral turned inside-out. It was a place one would be happy to leave, as one could easily imagine from the empty perches and niches on the walls that it had been temporarily vacated by a hundred devils—they were the scene’s missing element.

I gathered that this station could handle 500 trains (ten times Grand Central’s capacity)—and that shortly a train would be arriving on one of those tracks. It had a limited capacity, permitting only those few would-be passengers who were at the track, or nearby it, to obtain a seat. Once it left, the demons would return to their places, and the dilatory track-seekers would be in the soup. The other recent arrivals were quite interested, therefore, in figuring out which track number this would be.

I was there about ten days. During this time the population grew about 25% per day, so that toward the end things were rather crowded—and track-seekers became more desperate, as this reduced their odds of obtaining a seat. It was rumored that, in the past, a train had always arrived within a week or so of the opening of proceedings, so that it was imperative to run to the track where it was suspected of arriving, and to push and shove toward the front of the crowd once there. (This had the unfortunate effect of forcing some of those already near the front onto the tracks.) The nearness of the deadline also made those seekers who had not secured a good location at one of the popular tracks more desperate and willing to grasp at straws and entertain far-fetched justifications for believing that one of the obscure tracks, where space was still available, might be the one to go to.

Track-guessing was almost entirely based on numerological interpretations of the Bible, mainly Revelations, using methods similar to those that have been used to predict the date of the Day of Judgment. As time went by, these became more sophisticated, and spokesmen emerged who would propound their interpretation to small knots of followers. Eventually, little broadsides or pamphlets were produced and sold or given away, spreading these justifications to a wider audience.

However, I didn’t want to be saved, so I took only a spectator’s interest in all this. And I felt unpleasantly jarred by the growing frenzy of the track-seekers, and the growing pettiness and insistent certainty of some of them. I therefore stayed on the sidelines, where things were quieter and calmer.

These sidelines consisted of antechambers of a more ordinary, everyday aspect, similar to those found at Grand Central: waiting rooms, and concourses lined with restaurants, shoeshine stands, newspaper vendors, information booths, ticket stands, storage lockers, etc., along with the personnel to staff them—and also a few maintenance workers sweeping floors and emptying trash cans. I got into the habit of talking to these folks, and also to a few other arrivals who, like myself, had a spectator’s attitude to the scene going on the main hall, or at least who were puzzled by the winds of doctrine therein and wanted to review them offline. They filled me in on the latest trends and events and rumors.

There were also, as I became aware about halfway through, denizens of the demimonde in evidence: bootleggers and bimbos who provided their services out in the main hall, on the sly, and who chatted with one another and other “regulars” (maintenance personnel, etc.) in the waiting room when off-duty. They, like the employees of the shops on the concourse, had witnessed many of these train-departures before, but were more willing to talk about previous episodes. I figured that, from the pattern of past track numbers, it might be possible to deduce the best clues as to which track’s number would be up this time around. (I had an intellectual interest in this—and I figured I’d share my findings with some of the puzzled new arrivals I’d made friends with, to give them a good steer.) And also I found them much more interesting to talk to, being laid-back, amused, and unpretentious.

This dream was chock-full of tangential details, which I’ll skip here. I could spin out this remembrance for hundreds of pages, like a shaggy dog story or picaresque novel, with the ingenious Biblical interpretations that were made, the manner in which conflicting sects and their leaders disputed one another, the personal histories that were related to me by other puzzled passengers in the waiting room, the tales told and hints dropped by the demimondaines, and my own reflections on the above. But I forgot 90% of these details within a few days of the dream, and I’ve lost 99% of them now. And I’m not a good storyteller anyway. What’s really important about this dream is the nub of it, which I’m coming to.

Eventually the train arrived, and word of its coming spread rapidly. Curiously, however, it didn’t depart within the advertised five minutes, and seemed to have an unlimited capacity. After half an hour, when this was generally realized, those who had initially fallen into despair because they weren’t on its track flocked toward it to get aboard. Some passengers even got up from their seats and came back to spread the word to those who hadn’t heard, like those of us in the waiting room, bathroom, asleep in a corner, etc.

But a few dozen of us still wouldn’t budge. We didn’t like the smell of this business, and/or found the company of other sideliners and the “regulars” more simpatico than that of the frenzied track-seekers. So we stayed put, and after an hour or so the train departed, its clickety-clack fading into the distance.

A few minutes after that, the lurid quality of the hall began to fade, and normal, steady lighting replaced its unearthly stroboscopic flickering. The demimondaine “regulars” became more normal too—not quite the “characters” they’d been before. I began to suspect they’d been acting a part, for some reason. One of them came up and handed me his broom, saying, “This is yours—you’ve passed.” I grabbed it and revised my opinion of the organizers of this little test: Those who thought they’d passed had failed, and would get an amusing comeuppance at the end of their journey. (What fools these mortals be, eh Watson?) As for myself, I guessed I was in limbo. I stared dully at the bristles of the broom, and the floor around it, pondering all this.

After ten minutes, I noticed that things had continued to lighten up, with the walls acquiring a sort of pink, pearly glow. The regulars, too, were glowing.

??????

!!!!!!!!

At this point I awoke, amazed and amused. My opinion of the dramatists who had cast this bit of theater had risen considerably, needless to say. The test had been to see through the test we thought we were supposed to devote ourselves to, and instead view things at a meta-level.

Recently, I’ve had a further thought on this matter, which has prompted me to put this on paper. The passengers on the train were not treated cruelly, because they still had a second chance. Upon encountering the gate inscribed with the legend, “Abandon all hope, ye who enter here,” they had the option to laugh, even though the joke was on them; then they’d have passed too. They’d have demonstrated they realized that impishness, no less than seriousness, is among the divine attributes. So are hooves and horns, not just harps and halos.

Indeed, if they could laugh in such a “heavy” situation, they’d have leapfrogged over me. I was a low man on the totem pole in the heavenly hierarchy—a mere sweeper. They’d have won their wings immediately. But few of them passed this test, I suspect.

Oh well, they had their chance.

Back