• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What Is The Point?

How Should Ufology Be Treated ?

• As a business — Sell rights and access to the info and strictly enforce copyright.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As an academic field of study — All info should be freely redistributable for educational purposes.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • As a non-profit or charity — Decisions made politically by a board that controls access and price.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Who cares — I don't have time for this nonsense.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As a hobby — not suited for academic study.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • As a science — The social and cultural aspects are irrellevant to the field.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
What do you think?
  • Why do you have an interest in or want to pursue UFOs or the paranormal?
  • How do you think access to information should be handled?
  • At what cost?
  • Should it be considered a money making venture over and above a search for truth?
  • Should it be open to anyone with a genuine interest, or only those who pay dues?
  • What would your ideal version of a ufology organization strive for?
  • How could it survive economically without compromising ideals?
  • If there's any point to it all, what do you think it is?
-I've had a few personal experiences. Nothing earth-shattering. A few anomalous sightings, a couple precog dreams and a time-slip incident.
-Databases for those with a scientific/academic bent.
-I've no problem with a fee as databases have to be built and maintained. As someone who has taken a few SQL courses, I have a much better appreciation for the scope of work involved. I think advertising is an acceptable solution, but not always viable, as ads on the internet don't always generate the revenue you seek. I also think it depends on the quality of the information you are giving access too. I'm not going to pay squat to listen to a time-traveling lawyer. Perhaps a staggered approach maybe. Basic info for non-subscribers, more detail for subscribers.
-The realities of the world are such I think you will need to find a balance between the two.
-Less woo-woo, more facts, but many would probably find that frustrating as there are still so many unknowns. I don't think you can wholely discount cultural and societal impacts. For example, why do the "space brothers" bring their message of awareness to people who really have little impact on policy. I do wonder if an anthropological approach is needed here as there are are definite aspects of folk-lore, even in the stories we know to be hoaxes.
-The subscription model seems to be the go-to model these days, but that's not always a guarantee of survival. I don't think you will ever be able to make everyone happy. I take the paracast as an example of that.
-I personally have no clue. This seems to be an engine that generates wonder, curiosity, and inquiry, but to what end?

On a side note, I think the hobby selection in the poll is a bit misleading. Not all hobbyists are unscientific, nor are all UFO researchers uncompromisingly scientific.

On a side note, I think the hobby selection in the poll is a bit misleading. Not all hobbyists are unscientific, nor are all UFO researchers uncompromisingly scientific.
I think the hobbyists are perhaps more of a problem than you realize. They're the reason that science turns a blind eye. All it takes is a few wing nuts like whatshisname from UFO magazine or the ancient aliens hair guy to make a whole community go running. Not that they're hobbyists, but they are there because of the hobbyists - they form an economics niche to be exploited.

Although, a necessary problem given the total lack of interest from the scientific community.

• Why do you have an interest in or want to pursue UFOs or the paranormal?
    • Personal experience and curiosity since I was a kid.
  • Same here.
  • How do you think access to information should be handled?
    • Freely, openly.
Well, I dunnoo....a lot may be too much for too many people to handle.

Should it be considered a money making venture over and above a search for truth?

No way.

Should it be open to anyone with a genuine interest, or only those who pay dues?
  • Of course. :)

Quite possibly...

Great question - although I voted for the science one I was a bit taken aback at the statement that social and cultural aspects are irrelevant. That's pretty much how I feel about it, but that's not science. It could have been lumped in with the academic response. To me, the social and cultural aspects are the "entertainment" part of the field. But that's just me, not science.

You have hit on a distinction that is far more important than is generally appreciated. You were rightfully taken aback by the statement in the option for science that the social and cultural aspects are irrelevant, and that is because the vast majority of ufology is made up of non-scientific works destined for the mass-market rather than scientists, and there is a huge cultural, side, including various forms of artistic expression, so it would be wholly irresponsible for the field to ignore these important factors.

The problem is that if ufology is to be treated as a science, then those factors have to made irrelevant. Only the science and the scientific method should apply. If science is not applied according to accepted scientific standards, then that's just like blood in the water for skeptics who take great joy in attacking the field by labeling it a pseudoscience. So instead of giving skeptics an opportunity criticize while at the same time backing ourselves into a corner, why not go another route that garners equal respect? That route is to treat ufology as an academic field rather than a science unto itself.

By treating ufology as an academic field, like history, literature, or journalism, nothing of value is excluded except that ( and I really love this part ), no claim of pseudoscience can rightfully be leveled against the field because ufologists aren't making the claim that ufology is a science. The skeptics hate this, which is ironic because not taking ufology seriously as a science is exactly what they wanted. By going the academic route, we get to keep all the non-science goodies, use genuine science where and when it's applicable, ditch the pseudoscience label, and open the door to pursue a legitimate academic standing.

IMO It's win, win, win :cool:.

Last edited:
Here's something to reflect on.

upload_2016-12-6_12-31-59.png

The UFO phenomenon is not fiction. It has real-life consequences.
We need to know the truth.

Last edited:
Take the Tax free status off churches and other institutionalized superstitions and use that money for research. Win Win. :D
"Institutionalized superstitions", I hope you don't mind if I borrow that. I love it ! Mind you churches do provide a lot of charitable services. It would be an adjustment to make sure the money went into valid programs and didn't just go to the government to bail out rich people etc. Folks in need should really be cared for by charity before researching UFOs, which is one of the reasons why I didn't make USI a charitable group. Donations are accepted, but they're rare.

Last edited:
Take the Tax free status off churches and other institutionalized superstitions and use that money for research. Win Win. :D

Great idea. It always struck me as unfair, to say the least, that belief in UFOs is dismissed as "crazy" while loony christian doctrine is respected.

Back