• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What is China real objective Peace or Empire

Hi Folks,
Found this article quite interesting regarding 'China military spending' for peace or empire? Moreover, do both come as part and parcel of superpower economical dominance? \

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4774222&c=ASI&s=SEA

Will Japan break old traditions toward its constitution and rebuild its armed forces and nuclear umbrella? Can any nation really rely on the USA nuclear umbrella protection as its seems to be in decline or reshaping?

Reminds me of my cold-war experiences with the Soviets- at sea and getting buzzed by TU95s and KH27s and followed by old rusty fishing trawlers with way too many antennas and no nets in the water.

Hopefully there's nothing hot to accompany this military build up.

The cold war lasted from 1945–1991, keeping money flowing for the military-industrial complex. For ten years there was not an adequate source of fear to really keep people motivated. Then 9-11 happened and we got the war-on-terror and the money started flowing again. The war on terror is a hot war so it's even better for the military industrial complex than the cold war was (in my humble opinion), but it wont last forever. The time will come when they need the next big fear to keep the money flowing. A Sino-American cold war should be just the thing to keep the arms factories humming for decades to come both here in the US and throughout the world (except perhaps Russia).

That's granted. i just wonder why the media just pushes it these days.

Because the media need s boogeyman. The Russians don't qualify anymore and fundamentalist nutjobs apparently aren't enough, so here comes big bad China! OOOoooo! Scary! They don't look like you and their language sounds funny! Be afraid America, be very afraid!

Because the media need s boogeyman. The Russians don't qualify anymore and fundamentalist nutjobs apparently aren't enough, so here comes big bad China! OOOoooo! Scary! They don't look like you and their language sounds funny! Be afraid America, be very afraid!

CapnG,
Can you tell me how much China is spending on military hardware and who its supplying too? Which boogeyman Iran, Pakistan or China or unless your one of the so called USA bashing type? Go and live in China, Pakistan or Iran then try using freedom of speech!

Peace,
Blowfish

CapnG,
Can you tell me how much China is spending on military hardware and who its supplying too? Which boogeyman Iran, Pakistan or China or unless your one of the so called USA bashing type? Go and live in China, Pakistan or Iran then try using freedom of speech!

Yeah, I don't really understand whatever the hell it was you were trying to say there so this response may be off target but here goes: China and the US are locked into an economic relationship that's not so much sybiotic as it is mutually parasitic. Neither one of them can do harm to the other without doing it to themselves, so no ovetly hostile military actions will be taken by one against the other intentionally. If their relationship reaches the point of collapse, things will deteriorate. That might happen and it might not, it all depends on how the US economy works out ove the next few years.

As for Iran and Pakistan, they're scary shadow puppets for FOX news to wave at their audience. In reality their internal problems prevent them from being any real threat to the world at large.

Oh and I live in Canada so the "USA bashing" thing is kinda moot. As a Canadian I'll bash the USA whenever the hell I want, paricualrily when they screw up. BUT! As a Canadian the average American doesn't give a crap what I think anyway, so it all balances out rather nicely.

Yeah, I don't really understand whatever the hell it was you were trying to say there so this response may be off target but here goes: China and the US are locked into an economic relationship that's not so much sybiotic as it is mutually parasitic. Neither one of them can do harm to the other without doing it to themselves, so no ovetly hostile military actions will be taken by one against the other intentionally. If their relationship reaches the point of collapse, things will deteriorate. That might happen and it might not, it all depends on how the US economy works out ove the next few years.

As for Iran and Pakistan, they're scary shadow puppets for FOX news to wave at their audience. In reality their internal problems prevent them from being any real threat to the world at large.

Oh and I live in Canada so the "USA bashing" thing is kinda moot. As a Canadian I'll bash the USA whenever the hell I want, paricualrily when they screw up. BUT! As a Canadian the average American doesn't give a crap what I think anyway, so it all balances out rather nicely.

Maybe you should take a vist down to the local Canadian veterans club give your fellow servicemen and women your support or even better go and live in China , Iran or Pakistan;)

Again, I don't get it. What does this concept have to do with ANYTHING? Do you have a point to make or are you just dispensing glib dismissals so you can feel secretly smug?

It seems your nit picking so I explain it for you . Capng ,you live in a democracy system and is China, Iran or Pakistan a democracy which has the mechnism of freedom of speech ? Therefore, you have the freedom of speech which enables you to criticse your Government or others in your computer hub. Go and try to criticse the powers of authority in China, Iran or Pakistan. Its the Canadian servicemen and women who have given you the choice of freedom of speech buddy. In addition, feel secretly smug my ass buddy you live in a coocon world be a mature indiviudal see the rest of world.;)

It seems your nit picking so I explain it for you . Capng ,you live in a democracy system and is China, Iran or Pakistan a democracy which has the mechnism of freedom of speech ? Therefore, you have the freedom of speech which enables you to criticse your Government or others in your computer hub. Go and try to criticse the powers of authority in China, Iran or Pakistan. Its the Canadian servicemen and women who have given you the choice of freedom of speech buddy

And........? Seriously, you're not making any sense, you're just stating the obvious and expecting me to be what? Impressed? Moved? Taken aback?

China, Iran and Pakistan aren't free countries? DUH!
I owe my freedom to the sacrifices of military personell? DUH!

So therefore I should... what?

- Not point out that China's scary-scariness is over-inflated by the media?
- Pretend I'm terrified of these people?
- Write the Prime Minister and demand he increase military spending because holy hot shit the Chinese are coming (ignoring the sweetheart immigration reforms we just passed WITH China)?

Hmmm? MAKE AN ARGUMENT ALREADY! If you disagree with what I said about China and the media, tell me why. If you disagree with what I said about China and the US economically, tell me why. Don't just sit there and say "You know you're lucky you're allowed to say that." like it's somehow a response. ADDRESS THE STATEMENT OR MOVE ON.

In addition, feel secretly smug my ass buddy you live in a coocon world be a mature indiviudal see the rest of world.;)

Nice ASSumption. Yeah, I've never left my backyard.

the scenario I have heard is that after we get done killing people in Afghanistan we will engage in war with China. and China has been selected to be the winner.

While we have been wasting a lot of money on endless wars the Chinese have gone forward to do the things needed to secure the resources or the control of resources including obtaining technical knowledge to support its people and national interests. We here in the US seem to be suffering from buyer or seller's remorse because we sold off our industry to the Chinese because of the cheap labor and they would build factories mostly for no-cost to us. This was the dream of people like Richard Nixon, Henry Kissinger, Bill Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, Milton Friedman, Frederick Hayek, Jame Buchanan and every hedge fund manager and investment firm on the planet. Wall Street profited largely due to the the labor and innovation from China. No one said much about the abuse of Tibet over the years. A lot of companies didn't mind the arrangement of having authoritarian control over labor in China or authoritarian control in general there or here apparently either. The god fearing flag waving working and middle class America consumers like the cheap stuff they can get from China. The Chinese have bought us off.

Back