• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What case did you once believe - only to find later it was a hoax/false?

I don't know of a specific UFO case I could mention. While I've always liked alien encounter stories, in my mid-late teens my focus was predominantly cryptozoology. Specifically, I couldn't really peg any particular sighting or experience more believable than another, but I did have a powerful, innate suspension of disbelief.

With all the sightings, research, and near-misses (words I could use for any paranormal arena, as I understand now), I was largely convinced something, if not a dinosaur descendent, had to be in Loch Ness and some other large lakes. I think my working hypothesis was that these things were some type of whale or large dolphin type creature, with bent dorsals being mistaken as necks and heads.

I cared enough about it to have a few e-mail exchanges with Loren Coleman, but he had his own ideas -- what they were I no longer recall. CompuServe had a pretty decent forum section back then, and Coleman was a regular visitor.

Loch Ness is pretty much a ridiculous joke to paranormal and cryptozoology enthusiasts these days. On some level, that's how I feel about all of it, passed the very base observation/perceived-personal-experience level, today. The time I spent "researching," reading about, and studying all those cases and phenomena, though, was fun and provided a lot of reference material for art and writing. Without the suspension of disbelief I had as a teen, I doubt I would have emerged myself so deeply -- I'm glad I did.

I think a bent toward creativity, free-thought, rebellion, and art are things paranormal enthusiasts/believers tend to have in common, and I don't think it's a coincidence. Those things are not only necessary for the suspension of disbelief needed to believe in something without objective evidence, but the paranormal is such a fantastic and lore-rich part of Americana that it helps to feed and enhance those areas in a person's mind/brain.

I may no longer be a "believer," but I'll always be heavily into this stuff.

Not so much a particular case, but I was a very big fan of Timothy Good. I took everything he said at one point as gospel. While I regard much of his work important I think much of it was BS.

I'm still amazed he sighted Adamski as an important case on his last appearance on the Paracast
:mad:

The Belgian Triangle photo. I’m still ticked at myself for that one. I never felt good about the witness story, but ignored that when a number of highly-credentialed photo analysts supported its authenticity. As you’ve said Creepy Green Light, you can’t just rely on the photo experts.

petit_rechain.jpg

I'll admit my knowledge is not as good as many on here but I thought there were a lot of aspects of the Admaski case which were still unexplainable. I know there were a few things which caused some doubt but I remember reading about some leading film technicians saying the famous footage was genuine and would be hard to fake.

Also I thought the Belgian triangle sightings were genuine or are you saying it's just that photo which was fake?

Also I thought the Belgian triangle sightings were genuine or are you saying it's just that photo which was fake?

I was just referring to that photo, not the Belgian wave as a whole. That photo received a lot of attention and study. The photographer eventually came out and said he did it with a model to fool colleagues at work. It then escalated from there. I think the Belgian wave as a whole included some very puzzling multiple witness sightings, made by some very credible witnesses.

The Belgian Triangle photo. I’m still ticked at myself for that one. I never felt good about the witness story, but ignored that when a number of highly-credentialed photo analysts supported its authenticity. As you’ve said Creepy Green Light, you can’t just rely on the photo experts.

petit_rechain.jpg
Thanks for sharing. I've said it numerous times but I think all of us have been burnt by "....we ran the photo through the computer and the computer says that this object is 30 ft in diameter and a distance of 300-500 yards from the camera.....blah blah" (when in reality it's a model the size of a dinner plate about 6 ft from the camera).

I'll admit my knowledge is not as good as many on here but I thought there were a lot of aspects of the Admaski case which were still unexplainable. I know there were a few things which caused some doubt but I remember reading about some leading film technicians saying the famous footage was genuine and would be hard to fake.

What is fake about science.....scientists doing experiments on the Earth and atmospheric condition cause all phenomena.

As the community is not meant to photograph the phenomena, of course it gets ridiculed, yet also is the obvious which a lot of UFO critics do not consider, the photography of the atmospheric interaction is actually being taken by the study....the scientist.

As the scientist is only human, and are experimenting, they place the photographic evidence on forums to get public feed back....simply because they are dealing with phenomena.

If they think a likely candidate has given them psyche reasoning, the human then becomes part of their mind/brain/cell experiment, which has led to a number of deaths of the UFologist. Sad to say, but human kind are being experimented on by the aliens, and the aliens are the scientists.....humans who believe in artificial reasoning and artificial life application/interactions and then imply that they are personally safe as a human by using machines instead of their own person to apply the occult practice.

If you review their modern day theory, they impose that they can place origin radiation through the body of Earth and all of Nature, to then have it manifest as a cooled/evolved radiation energy inside of their Collider.

Yet origin black body radiation that passed through Planet Earth as an attack nearly blew Earth apart. Years of cooling allowed the fusion of this form of radiated attack to cool. This is why the reheating of the atmospheric radiation signals have attacked the fusion of Earth's cooling as a naturally evolved fusion.

Earth therefore holds the natural nuclear orbital signals that look similar to the various forms of mutative or artificially formed orbital signals manifesting in our atmosphere.....yet they are not the same for Earth previously held a higher fusion as a stone body that altered into the lower fusion.

Scientists therefore are trying to place a new form of artificially manifested nuclear orbital signals inside of the body of Earth....attacking Earth's natural fusion which disintegrated into huge sink holes.

Between the conditions of origin black body heated radiation attacking Earth.....to the loss of its cooling by resourcing fuel and burning it is the reason why fake orbital signals manifest.

The conditions of the nuclear crystal of Earth is to repel and transmit the radiation back into the atmosphere. The heated black body radiation streams penetrate the cold fusion of crystal, being the only cold fused body that exists on Earth. Uranium as a crystalline dust was once a higher crystalline body that was converted into dust as a cold fused new crystal.

When we look at other stone bodies in out of space, asteroids and meteors demonstrate that a different form of stone also exists...and these stone planets did not convert like Earth did...having different atmospheres and exploded instead. The conscious/psyche awareness of occultism stated the awareness that Earths atmospheric gases converted into the body of water...that they called the Christ Act that saved Earth from its destruction, which cooled Earth by falling out of its field and lay upon the body of stone. The ancient black body radiation attack then parted its ways and moved around the body of Earth stone due to the water mass.

This psyche scientific occult realization knew that when the sea parted, that the act of God allowed the body of water to raise back up, which it did and Earth's atmosphere replaced itself. Since this circumstance actually happened, whenever an occultist decides to alter our atmosphere, the interactive condition then begins to attack stone and water, just as observed as the UFO phenomena black body radiation is changed.

Old Billy fooled a lot of people, including some good solid investigators. For a long time, I figured he was legit but that "wedding cake" picture? Oh please! I do think his case is not nearly as simple as most people want it to be. Murricans in particular seem to crave binary answers. True or false, right or wrong, good or bad, even though life just isn't like that. Fortunately, the universe is far more interesting than that. Even if Billy is nothing more than a cynical hoaxer who never had one strange experience, it's an interesting historic episode. The pictures of Billy's "aliens" are worth the time looking into it. You can't make this stuff up.

I tend not to believe anything 100% so I'm rarely let down, and once in a while the reverse can happen, like I used to think the 1952 Washington D.C. flap was probably just misperceptions and lens flares, but then I delved into it more deeply and discovered that there is a lot more to that situation than had been told in the brief articles I had run across. Now I think it's one of the best cases on record.

I tend not to believe anything 100% so I'm rarely let down, and once in a while the reverse can happen, like I used to think the 1952 Washington D.C. flap was probably just misperceptions and lens flares, but then I delved into it more deeply and discovered that there is a lot more to that situation than had been told in the brief articles I had run across. Now I think it's one of the best cases on record.
I think some of these cases get convoluted because of confusing/erroneous information. An example would be the Phoenix Flares...

The entire debacle over that night is mainly the fault of the media. So (coincidently) on the same night as a UFO sighting...there are flares dropped from military jets. This is the famous footage we've all seen 18,000 times over since it happened, where they drop behind the mountain range. However...

...the eyewitnesses claim that there was a massive chevron shaped object skimming over rooftops/treetops traveling from the north headed south. So whenever the term "Phoenix Lights" get's mentioned - they automatically show the footage of the flares.

Maybe the Washington DC photos are the same? Maybe the pics ARE lens flares/birds but maybe the eyewitnesses and radar operators saw something different? I admit, I don't know much about the DC case but now I'm curious why you say it's one of your favorites/best.

In contribution (?) to this “true confessions” thread ….

In the opinion of a possible sixth sense & unknowns traversing the heavens above, my beloved pet, out there near Ballard Utah, I no longer find companionship for. Yes, I’m referring to Skinwalker Ranch, i.e., the romantic getaway retreat that has lured so many to its demonic gates. You see, Mr. CGL, before groking the connections betwixt Ret. Col. John Alexander, Ret. Lt. Col. Michael Aquino, Jacques Vallee, Jack Sarfatti, Hal Puthoff, and possibly a few more with interests in the occult, (not in mentioning funding by Robert Bigelow & possibly the military) , I was simply overwhelmed with the alleged goings-on out there. Coupled with Chris O’Brien’s direct involvement, it was a no-brainer, or, slam-dunk, as they say, to the veracity of the plethora of alleged mind-bending narratives having taken place at that Disneyland of The Gods. As all good (and evil) things must eventually come to an end, and with this particular narrative in light of the latest NYTs faux disclosure movement, has struck a nerve, and that particular nerve just so happens to be the particular nerve of common sense. I could go on for pages and pages, on & on, and over, & over. Alas, life is to be enjoyed & not endured, as military intelligence (PSYOP) has exploited mythology in the past.

In contribution (?) to this “true confessions” thread ….

In the opinion of a possible sixth sense & unknowns traversing the heavens above, my beloved pet, out there near Ballard Utah, I no longer find companionship for. Yes, I’m referring to Skinwalker Ranch, i.e., the romantic getaway retreat that has lured so many to its demonic gates. You see, Mr. CGL, before groking the connections betwixt Ret. Col. John Alexander, Ret. Lt. Col. Michael Aquino, Jacques Vallee, Jack Sarfatti, Hal Puthoff, and possibly a few more with interests in the occult, (not in mentioning funding by Robert Bigelow & possibly the military) , I was simply overwhelmed with the alleged goings-on out there. Coupled with Chris O’Brien’s direct involvement, it was a no-brainer, or, slam-dunk, as they say, to the veracity of the plethora of alleged mind-bending narratives having taken place at that Disneyland of The Gods. As all good (and evil) things must eventually come to an end, and with this particular narrative in light of the latest NYTs faux disclosure movement, has struck a nerve, and that particular nerve just so happens to be the particular nerve of common sense. I could go on for pages and pages, on & on, and over, & over. Alas, life is to be enjoyed & not endured, as military intelligence (PSYOP) has exploited mythology in the past.
Interestingly put. I've been duped by UFO cases, but the SWR is something that always sounded like a load of you know what. I think another non UFO thing that falls into the same category as SWR is Marley Woods.

I think some of these cases get convoluted because of confusing/erroneous information. An example would be the Phoenix Flares...

The entire debacle over that night is mainly the fault of the media. So (coincidently) on the same night as a UFO sighting...there are flares dropped from military jets. This is the famous footage we've all seen 18,000 times over since it happened, where they drop behind the mountain range. However...

...the eyewitnesses claim that there was a massive chevron shaped object skimming over rooftops/treetops traveling from the north headed south. So whenever the term "Phoenix Lights" get's mentioned - they automatically show the footage of the flares.

Maybe the Washington DC photos are the same? Maybe the pics ARE lens flares/birds but maybe the eyewitnesses and radar operators saw something different? I admit, I don't know much about the DC case but now I'm curious why you say it's one of your favorites/best.
I was satisfied that the DC photos we're all familiar with are lens flares and that there were some misidentifications involved, so I set the case aside for years until I started the TRUFO project on the USI site, which is an online text of Ruppelt's The Report On Unidentified Flying Objects. In that book Ruppelt covers the '52 DC flap. Reviewing it rekindled my interest in the case. After doing some cross referencing it became apparent that there was a lot more evidence than a bad photo and a couple of misidentifications. There were multiple radar contacts from two separate radar stations ( civilian and military ), multiple attempts to intercept the targets by USAF jets, additional eye-witnesses, and in one instance one of the jets was able to establish a radar lock-on while ground radar vectored him to the target where the pilot observed glowing objects encircle his aircraft briefly before streaking off into the distance.

Last edited:
Interestingly put. I've been duped by UFO cases, but the SWR is something that always sounded like a load of you know what. I think another non UFO thing that falls into the same category as SWR is Marley Woods.

The youngsters, the most impressionable are the easiest to convince, as glued to the History Channel’s, Ancient Aliens. Then again, there are highly educated individuals who will entertain extremely odd beliefs while on their face, are impractical. Take Paul Hellyer for example.
PENTAGON UFO BOMBSHELL: Former defence minister claims US IS storing 'ALIEN UFO parts'
Nobel disease - RationalWiki

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the time I don't have sufficient reason to believe any particular case. I do believe the '52 DC flap case described above, but most others are few and far between. It's not that I necessarily don't believe them either. There's just not enough evidence to say one way or the other with certainty. Two cases that briefly caught my attention back in the day were the Eduard Meier case and the Gulf Breeze Case. After I learned about Meier becoming a contactee I immediately became very skeptical. It all went downhill from there until it was finally proven sufficiently to be a hoax.

The Gulf Breeze case became suspect after I saw the first video where they went running over some dunes next to a beach to videotape an alleged UFO, but there was nothing there until the camera zoomed all the way in and all there was was a tiny bright dot that they later magnified. I thought to myself the whole scene was probably staged because nobody would have been able to see that with their naked eye. Then came the technical examination of the iris motor from that same model of camcorder, which turned out to be the cause. So there was actually no UFO observed, meaning the scene was definitely staged. Again it all went downhill from there.

Some of the space shuttle videos were interesting, but ultimately they were sufficiently proven to be either camera artifacts, reflections, or misidentifications of frozen particles associated with the shuttle that were propelled by the shuttle's maneuvering jets. I think Don still believes some of that stuff. But I haven't seen anything really convincing yet. I know Rutkowski regards the Michalak case as good, but I'm not convinced. I've never believed the Sitgreaves National Forest Incident ( The Walton case ) either. I think maybe some people did see re-entering space junk in the Falcon Lake incident, but not all accounts for that sighting can be explained by that. The Phoenix lights case is similar in that regard.

Last edited:
Most of the time I don't have sufficient reason to believe any particular case. I do believe the '52 DC flap case described above, but most others are few and far between. It's not that I necessarily don't believe them either. There's just not enough evidence to say one way or the other with certainty. Two cases that briefly caught my attention back in the day were the Eduard Meier case and the Gulf Breeze Case. After I learned about Meier becoming a contactee I immediately became very skeptical. It all went downhill from there until it was finally proven sufficiently to be a hoax.

The Gulf Breeze case became suspect after I saw the first video where they went running over some dunes next to a beach to videotape an alleged UFO, but there was nothing there until the camera zoomed all the way in and all there was was a tiny bright dot that they later magnified. I thought to myself the whole scene was probably staged because nobody would have been able to see that with their naked eye. Then came the technical examination of the iris motor from that same model of camcorder, which turned out to be the cause. So there was actually no UFO observed, meaning the scene was definitely staged. Again it all went downhill from there.

Some of the space shuttle videos were interesting, but ultimately they were sufficiently proven to be either camera artifacts, reflections, or misidentifications of frozen particles associated with the shuttle that were propelled by the shuttle's maneuvering jets. I think Don still believes some of that stuff. But I haven't seen anything really convincing yet. I know Rutkowski regards the Michalak case as good, but I'm not convinced. I've never believed the Sitgreaves National Forest Incident ( The Walton case ) either. I think maybe some people did see re-entering space junk in the Falcon Lake incident, but not all accounts for that sighting can be explained by that. The Phoenix lights case is similar in that regard.
I've always had this inner truth/lie detector built into me. It proll has like a 98% accuracy rate. Soon as I saw the Gulf Breeze photo's....the alarm went off. Something wasn't right....kinda looked goofy/transparent with the object. Can I say what Walter's technique was to pull off the hoax? No. But if anyone was on the fence over Walter's UFO being real....this should have been the one piece of evidence that made everyone laugh, then throw the case in the garbage; the pic of the guy who knocked on his door to come for him;

HR-Ed-Walters-Shielded-Being.jpg

Back