• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What are Ghosts??

TClaeys

Skilled Investigator
Some of you have seen them right?? What are they??

Whether they are "real" in any physical sense doesn't negate that they are seen throughout the course of history. So, I'm not going to hold anyone to their word or even opinion, but what do you think they may be or represent??

There seems to be an big desire for humans to "live on". This cannot be discounted, it is a very great desire. So let me throw out a few random thoughts.

Is there some willingness on the part of our consciousness that opens not only our desire for them, but creates them??

What about the body of ghosts/apparitions?? Do our bodies continue as well in some type of form or is this some interpretation that makes us see them in that form??

Are they perhaps not real, but a product of our conscious intent to see them?? A willingness or longing to want it to happen?? I know that may be unpopular, but it's at least an honest question. Our minds make interpretations all the time and I wonder if ghosts could be some interpretation our mind is making in response to thinking of someone, knowing a place is haunted, or even EM frequencies. Either way, the phenomenon exists, I just don't know if the product of the phenomenon exists.

I mean why don't we ever see a ghost squirrel or dinosaur or neanderthal?? Is it from something living or only from human beings?? It would seem we are all made up of the same stuff, and we all live and die, and from that decaying matter comes new life. Where does matter/body/ghost boundaries define itself??

I'm not in this for arguing for or against, I just wonder what you think ghosts really are or what they represent. It's sort of a general thread because I don't know much about ghosts other than I've never seen one or felt one. I mean Nancy Reagan still hears from Ronald. Is that what is really going on?? Or is it something else?? And if it is really something ghostly, why can't we independantly verify it's existence?? It's just like every other "paranormal" thing. Subtle, but present. Or is it confirmation biased and unverifiable??

What do you think is going on??

I have heard of ghost dogs, cats, horses and oxen...

As to what they are and "why" they are...I have no clue. Perhaps it's just a combination of a specific kind/form/wavelength of energy and those that can perceive that kind of energy.

My ghostly encounters have all been of the "repeater" type, wherein a ghost performs the same activity over and over at roughly the same time each day/week/month/year.

I cannot therefore speak to "sentient" ghosts but as far as I'm concerned regarding repeaters it's my contention that they're something environmental, not even remotely related to dead people or souls or anything spiritual.

Some of you have seen them right?? What are they??

Whether they are "real" in any physical sense doesn't negate that they are seen throughout the course of history. So, I'm not going to hold anyone to their word or even opinion, but what do you think they may be or represent??

There seems to be an big desire for humans to "live on". This cannot be discounted, it is a very great desire. So let me throw out a few random thoughts.

Is there some willingness on the part of our consciousness that opens not only our desire for them, but creates them??

What about the body of ghosts/apparitions?? Do our bodies continue as well in some type of form or is this some interpretation that makes us see them in that form??

Are they perhaps not real, but a product of our conscious intent to see them?? A willingness or longing to want it to happen?? I know that may be unpopular, but it's at least an honest question. Our minds make interpretations all the time and I wonder if ghosts could be some interpretation our mind is making in response to thinking of someone, knowing a place is haunted, or even EM frequencies. Either way, the phenomenon exists, I just don't know if the product of the phenomenon exists.

I mean why don't we ever see a ghost squirrel or dinosaur or neanderthal?? Is it from something living or only from human beings?? It would seem we are all made up of the same stuff, and we all live and die, and from that decaying matter comes new life. Where does matter/body/ghost boundaries define itself??

I'm not in this for arguing for or against, I just wonder what you think ghosts really are or what they represent. It's sort of a general thread because I don't know much about ghosts other than I've never seen one or felt one. I mean Nancy Reagan still hears from Ronald. Is that what is really going on?? Or is it something else?? And if it is really something ghostly, why can't we independantly verify it's existence?? It's just like every other "paranormal" thing. Subtle, but present. Or is it confirmation biased and unverifiable??

What do you think is going on??

Good questions! I also wondered if there are Alien ghosts, lol. (within their world or even seen on ours).

Here's something I've often wondered: Why are almost all ghosts so 'mysterious' and say strange 'ghost-like' things? (at least per the EVP's you hear, assuming they're genuine in the first place, that is).

I mean, do ANY of us talk that way NOW in life? So WHY would we not talk the same way as a ghost?

I wouldn't be whispering: 'Leave hhhhherrrrrrre'. I'd be like: 'Hey! Can you hear me? What's up? The winning lotto numbers are....'

I like to joke with my hubby that when I die, I'm gonna appear on some episodes of Ghost Hunters and mess with 'em....lol :p

Seriously though: It's hard to say WHAT they really are.

Some theories suggest parallel universes or other theories like 'The Others' where maybe WE right now are appearing as Ghosts to someone else...

Sorry for the ramblings...:eek:

Though I'd never held any belief in ghosts, I did seem to experience what I guess was my father since the event occurred on the anniversary of his death years before. I never wished to communicate with my dad in that sort of way since I didn't believe in ghosts, however. I know a lot of people who have wished for eons to have contact with their deceased relatives and have had no luck.

But I had forgiven my dad for having been a real jerk and it took many years. When I had my experience, someone invisible sitting on my bed at my feet as soon as I climbed into bed and getting up off the bed when I requested that, it was the first anniversary of his death in which I was finally unaware it was the day he'd died. I'd forgiven him and remembering wasn't crucial to my consciousness, maybe outwardly anyway.

I've always thought I might have conjured some experience to put a cap on grief and the mixed emotions I had for him. Whenever I have been able to overcome thinking or emotion based on my personal environmental conditioning, I have had anomalous things happen to me, one seemingly miraculous. Nothing I've experienced fits into Capn G's category because what's happened seems intelligent and one-or-two time events. They've further altered my life and then pretty much left me.

My advice is if you want the experiences, you must work at altering your belief system. Pick a prejudice and work to move beyond it. When it works, you get a prize, but it won't be what you hoped for nor expected. It will be unique to what you need though. Just my two cents for what has worked for me.

Hmm. Is there a form as well Capn? An apparition/ human figure or whatever, something visual??

Perhaps, although I the only one I ever saw clearly was a sort of "shadow" when I was younger. Others have seen apparitions I have only heard. If it is environmental then perhaps it has something to do with frequency (as many have suspected) so someone like me can detect only the audio frequency whereas others may detect visual frequencies and yet others may detect both just as some people have better hearing or eyesight than others.

True, odd but somewhat illustrative story: I can hear a TV that is on but not tuned to anything (set to "input" for example). I once astounded two of my buddies in college when we were getting ready to go to class and I asked if they heard something to which they both replied "No..." I then walked down a quiet corridor 50 feet or so, passed two empty classrooms to arrive at a third with the door slightly ajar and entered to find a tv left on by the previous class, so I switched it off. "How the hell could you hear that?!" asked one. I just shrugged. It's just an ability I have to hear in a certain range.

From my experiences I personaly have no doubt that ghosts exist. As to what they are......? Don't know.....I think that there maybe several types, or several "things" going on. Those ghosts that simply repeat the same activity over and over again, and you cannot interact with them, and the ghosts where you can directly interact with them. The first type could be "recorded" sections from time, the second could truly be people who have passed on and come back for a look-see (for want of a better phrase/reason). I have also questioned (in one of my previous posts) why there are no ghost dinosaurs....or maybe there are, but we cannot see them? So much time has passed that the energy that creates them is somehow different and not visible to our eyes? (Pure speculation...top of my head stuff!). I think in some ways I am glad that there are no ghost dinosaurs. Can you imagine how scary coming face to face with a ghost T-Rex would be?
I have come across a theory a few times that says that a certain percentage of everyone and everything we see each day is actually a ghost(s). I saw a Spitfire fly over my house today. I remember thinking how do I know it is not a ghost plane and not real? In fact how many of the WWII planes i see in the sky these days are not actually ghost planes and not "real"? For such a major event (understatement of the century) you would maybe think there would be more ghosts from this time, including in the sky....
Excellent thread....Great questions......:D

I had lunch with a girlfriend yesterday who told me her latest ghost story, one I found interesting.

She lives in a small Texas town in a house built at the turn of the century. It's been updated and is quite a lovely landmark. I guess she's been there for a good number of years and never experienced any ghostly activity until one day when a very old man came by the house and requested a look-see since it's makeover.

He'd been friends with the man who had last occupied the house, but I don't think the man he was speaking of was the original owner. Their ages didn't fit the with the age of the house. But ever since the friend's visit, something has stirred activity in the house.

A few days after the old man stopped by, my girlfriend was coming down the stairs into a room when she heard a man's voice describing "his property line around the house." She was stunned because she could hear her husband in the shower and she knew there was no TV or radio turned on in the house. She went outside to see if someone were in the yard talking, but she found no good reason for the odd conversation.

Since that time, she's heard nothing, but her granddaughter, age 17, has heard a man talking several times and has never found anyone in or around the house either.

Last week, my girlfriend went out onto her back porch to smoke when she eventually felt someone pull down on the hem of her sweater. She immediately turned around thinking her husband was trying to trick her, but he was upstairs. She went back to the porch and when she lost herself in thought, she felt her sweater pulled again. No one was there.

Maybe the nature of a "ghost" admit many explanaitions, from simple superstition and mistakes, to residual psychic energy or the spirits of living beings.

Back