• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Vrillon: Real Space Alien or ... Hoax??

S

schticknz

Heard about this years ago but came across it in Nexus magazine (along with a small article on the WOW! signal) recently, and thought I would pass it on to you, gentle reader.

Was this a message from a real Space Alien? or ... just a hoax that some drunk students put together ? ( video now unavailable )

Anyway, whatever it was ... it seems to have spooked a few people at the time ... and engineers apparently couldn't figure out how it was done. Such innocent times :rolleyes:

p.s. and would a real bona-fide space alien really use the word "dross" in any context???

Last edited by a moderator:
Simultaneously tapping into all radio and communication channels all across the planet would have been more impressive.

This is obviously a load of BS.

Wow, what a load of crap. The little grey video/audio.

The Big WOW is considered legit, but hasn't been repeated, so it doesn't make the scientific grade.

The Pair of Cats said:
With a funky, pulsating synth track in the background

Yeah I thought the pulse thing going on in the background was cool too ... not quite Kraftwerk but you can't have everything :D

Oh and of course the whole thing is total BS (as someone so joylessley pointed out :D) ... but its just one of those things that makes human beings (British ones in this case) so interesting a species. The ingenuity of humans can be magnificent to behold when they're not busily blowing things up or tearing each other apart.

[Oh for people from outside the UK, it happened on ITV ... which is the rival network to the BBC.]

Anyway ... and now for my next trick, I'm going to go and watch "Alternative 3" (on google video somewhere) which came out in the same decade as the Vrillon hijacking ... and ... no it isn't real either (for those people who think it is/was) ... it was a hoax tv program shown on April 1st, I seem to remember, but since then has strangely taken hold and somehow taken on a life of its own.

Strange how these things happen 8) ...

Vrillon sounds suspiciously like Vorhilon to me, Claude Vorhilon being the real name of Rael, the founder of the Raelian Movement. I'm not saying the Raelians hoaxed the broadcast, just that some pranksters may have used Rael's real name as inspiration for the prank. I'm not in the least bit convinced aliens had anything to do with this message. If you listen closely to the tone and language used - it's obviously a wind-up. At least, it sounds that way to me. But then again - I could be wrong, LOL.

Siani said:
Vrillon sounds suspiciously like Vorhilon to me, Claude Vorhilon being the real name of Rael, the founder of the Raelian Movement. I'm not saying the Raelians hoaxed the broadcast, just that some pranksters may have used Rael's real name as inspiration for the prank. I'm not in the least bit convinced aliens had anything to do with this message. If you listen closely to the tone and language used - it's obviously a wind-up. At least, it sounds that way to me. But then again - I could be wrong, LOL.

Actually you may be on to something there. Vrillon's whole spiele does seem to fit in with the whole Raelian thing ... and the Raelians did start off in the 70s didn't they?? Hmmm ... wonder if I could play around with the audio ... see if its possible to correlate it with Rael's own speech patterns somehow???

(schtick not really knowing what he's talking about technically speaking ... but still thinks that there is a gem of an idea there somewhere)

The event was real and was achieved by some techies who understood the particular vulnerabilities of the transmitter which was hijacked. The video posted everywhere supposedly of the event was fabricated about three years later.
The voice at the start of the video is Andrew Gardener. The guy in the studio is Cliff Mitchelmore - surely the lack of lip-sync is pretty obvious? The prank happened on a Saturday at 5.10pm. Day By Day was broadcast from 6pm weekdays only. Etc, etc.

Last edited:
In case there are those who have no idea about what I am talking about in my above post, this is the video in question this thread relates to:

Back