• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Voice Phenomenon reported by Rescue Team

From reports I've read, four rescue workers heard this voice and understood it to be a cry for help. One of the rescuers reported that one of his colleagues responded to the voice, saying approximately: "We're doing everything we can to get to you." The voice could not have been a sound uttered by the baby, who was unconscious. And medical reports are that the mother had been dead by drowning since soon after the car ended up upside down in the water the night before the rescue of the baby. So it was not the voice of a living human being calling from the car. But the voice was heard and spoke meaningfully from the car or perhaps adjacent to it. It's clear that the voice was present, real but not embodied. I'm not surprised by this occurrence. I've experienced it myself unmistakably -- once -- from 'the other side'. I knew the voice and the feeling of the speaker (her sense of joy and accomplishment in having gotten through to me through the medium of her voice somehow translated into the room in which I was awakened by the sound). I was already nearly sitting upright in bed, awakened from a drug-assisted sleep as I heard her voice, clear as a bell several feet away from me. She had probably had to call out to me once or twice before I was wakened enough to hear her. The experience was indescribably confirming that her consciousness and selfhood had survived. I think the voice heard by the rescue workers was most likely the mother's voice, postmortem and lingering near her child.

Sorry cynic in me says, if there was a voice, it came from someone out of sight upwind, and was merely coincidence, the wreck was well hidden, 14 hours hidden in a relatively busy place.

I've experienced it myself unmistakably -- once -- from 'the other side'. I knew the voice and the feeling of the speaker (her sense of joy and accomplishment in having gotten through to me through the medium of her voice somehow translated into the room in which I was awakened by the sound). I was already nearly sitting upright in bed, awakened from a drug-assisted sleep as I heard her voice, clear as a bell several feet away from me.

Thanks for the account. It's funny how these voices mostly are reported as not being "inside the head". I've even heard of recordings of "direct voice" phenomena, so I guess my theories about consciousness talking to consciousness aren't any good.

Sorry cynic in me says, if there was a voice, it came from someone out of sight upwind, and was merely coincidence, the wreck was well hidden, 14 hours hidden in a relatively busy place.

That's not cynical, just realistic. As long as you haven't had any evidence for yourself, I guess it's natural to think ghost or voice phenomena can be explained away.

But the thing is, these guys in the vid look very much like they were exactly like that. They should be able to tell the difference between a voice from farther away or behind them and a voice in front of them and in their direct vicinity.

They are clearly not lying (to themselves) or embellishing things. Something shook them up very much, and I think it could be more than the fact that they rescued the child and found the dead mother.

Last edited:
They are clearly not lying (to themselves) or embellishing things. Something shook them up very much, and I think it could be more than the fact that they rescued the child and found the dead mother.

I agree. They must have been shaken more by what they didn't find in the car. They expected to find a surviving adult whose voice they had heard as they approached the car.

I've been very interested in the phenomenon of hearing voices lately as I've been thinking a lot about the voices of the dead people I know and try to replay the sounds of their voices in my head. Upon waking recently I've noticed that what I'm dreaming about has been translating into very loud experiences of sounds, including someone's voice, or on one occasion my dog barking. And then I wake fully to silence.

Researching auditory hallucinations has taught me a few things: hearing voices is very common and not a symptom of schizophrenia; it is very common in young people as a coping or stress induced mechanism, is often produced in liminal states such as waking as a result of the default brain network just conjuring up a pre-recorded echo of that sound/voice thought.

Intervoice | Essential Facts about Hearing Voices

This case though is pretty bizarre and unique i.e. multiple people all hearing the same voice - group related stress hallucination would be my doubtful guess if I had to make one, though the narrative of the dead mother is much more interesting admittedly.

Like many people, my heart wants to believe it's the voice of the mother desperately trying to save her child. What human being wouldn't do the same, if they possibly could? My skeptical head doesn't know; even though, like most people, I've had some experience with stuff-I-can't exactly-explain. However, what fascinates and encourages me somewhat, is that every time I've heard this on the news, it's been reported as a straight, if unusual, news story. Of course, the baby's mom died; it's tragic; but still, there was no sense of "Well, we all know they must have been mistaken" from the news anchors or any rationalizing.

Of course, the baby's mom died; it's tragic; but still, there was no sense of "Well, we all know they must have been mistaken" from the news anchors or any rationalizing.
The line that the curtain of laughter falls down on is as soon as monsters or aliens are mentioned. But parnormality connected to the formerly living is something our society tolerates as part of the realm of possibility.

True, Burnt State, but there was a time (and not too long ago) that any reference at all to the paranormal (even to its possibility) was dismissed by "serious" news reporters. I like the inference that there is that tiny chink in that armor of logic and rationalization. In this instance, I admit that like Mulder, I do want to believe.
I suppose I'm also encouraged that there seems to be a thread of the truly odd and mind-bending in theoretical mathematics and physics these days and that their proponents are not automatically laughed off the stage. Things that were poo-pooed forty years ago, are now at least given a hearing. There are so many speculations; and dialog, regardless of how heated it sometimes gets. But debate is good; at least it is happening.

Well as you are the Crazy Old Lady, you might have better knowledge than I on this point, but just exactly when was it that the shift in news reporting took place? As I look through some of Jerry Clark's tabulations of the reporting of "strange" events from poltergeists and monsters, to airships and the sudden disappearances of people while out on summer walks, I see a very healthy, matter of fact and quizzical approach to the weirdly wonderful. Sure some of these may have been manufactured for sales, but the sheer number of odd reports across the turn of the century and into the modern era is quite staggering.
foopresscutting.jpg

Equally impressive are the very straight forward reports of the foo fighters from the early 40's. I suppose that as soon as Kenneth Arnold had his sighting and flying saucers represented an "intelligence" or a controlled air phenomenon beyond the control of The Powers That Be, that ridicule seemed to enter the picture. The cold war also appeared to demand an assertion of rationalism over the wayward thinking of the populous, especially the youth and any counter culture leanings, be they communist or drug induced altered states, that they engaged in. Thinking "straight" had its own demands - a social control agenda was definitely well under way in America by that point.

But like a disease, thinking straight, seems to have spread with rapidity, so much so, that any deviance, such as hearing voices, may have prompted the desire to drug children into catatonic stupors when these may be perfectly normal experiences. As we debate and discuss here on the forum, that line between truly natural and mundane experiences vs. paranormal events is where all the fiction lies.

To be honest I blame the puritanical strains that gave birth to America. Those same patriarchal power asserters that wanted to burn the women folk for gathering in the woods away from the men to share their own wisdoms, that's where the real oppression was borm IMHO. Same stuff going on today. (yes, I may be doubtful about most things claimed paranormal, but I do wish we had a more open minded public dialogue on a lot of things classified as "deviant.")

They heard it so clearly they couldnt say whether it was male or female, 4 of them.
Yeah, that's the rub for me, too. I do know a few grown ups with voices that at times sound like they should belong to the other sex. I have a female collegue who people regularly take for a man if they just hear her on the telephone (and she's otherwise very feminine). I have to talk a lot on the phone to total strangers, and sometimes it's quite difficult to tell wether you're talking to a man or a woman. But mostly you can make the right guess.

And of course, there is the possibility that the notion of a grown up only came from the articulation, while the voice itself sounded distorted, not really human, like with some EVP recordings.

But IMO it's not even clear if they just couldn't say or if they didn't want to. Maybe they thought by saying "It was not a child's voice, but a grown up's" instead of "it was a young woman's voice" they wouldn't upset the mother's family and that they could avoid headlines like "Policemen hear voice of deceased mother". Or they thought it was a man's voice, which would make even less sense.

Last edited:
They were beside and below a bridge i think it said, voices carry, im sure theres more solid case's out there.
I dont know how the story started, it was a fatal accident, i dont think the policemen would have started the story, because of the fatality.

Maybe the inquest statements from the cops started it.

Thanks for the account. It's funny how these voices mostly are reported as not being "inside the head". I've even heard of recordings of "direct voice" phenomena, so I guess my theories about consciousness talking to consciousness aren't any good.

I think it happens both ways from my reading in psychical research archives of the SPR and other sources. In my single (spontaneous) OBE, I became aware of a second consciousness/individual and 'heard' her thoughts (I 'felt' it was a female being) as if she were expressing them in words, but this took place within my own mind, not spoken aloud and heard aurally. I've read numerous accounts of voices heard out loud and also of articulated messages received in the brain/mind, not heard aloud, and not always identifiable to the person reporting the experience. One in particular stands out, in which an individual was told by an unidentifiable voice heard mentally, not aurally, to leave the building he was in; this individual did so just before a fire destroyed the building.

The kinds of experiences I'm referring to are not to be confused with the experience of psychotic individuals who hear a voice or voices repeatedly, telling them what to do or think. It's relevant to mention that one, or perhaps several, psychiatrists have theorized that not all voices experienced by psychotics should be dismissed as self-generated hallucinations, that paranormal communication might be going on in some of those cases.

Back