• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Viking Ship Found in Mississippi River

The only references I can independently find on this story is the World News Daily Report, and they are not known for their facts.
If this is for real, and I have no idea one way or another, why is it not making a bigger news impact? A Viking ship that far inland is explosive news, textbook-re-writing news.
I'll believe it when I see other news sites pick it up.

It's pretty well known doc that the viking's set up station's/encampments, through greenland and down through north america.

I have no doubt, but I do doubt that said evidence has been found...yet. This site seems to be a well known sardonic Web site.

I'm still waiting for them to follow up on Nigeria's launch of a satellite carrying a giraffe into outer space.

It's pretty well known doc that the viking's set up station's/encampments, through greenland and down through north america.

Well yeah, I know they were in Greenland, and there is a Viking settlement in Newfoundland......which is the only accepted or known evidence for Vikings in North America so far. The Mississippi river is a long way from Newfoundland though. If a full on Viking ship was discovered near the M river, why is it not on other websites, or news services? Why is the only source for this story the World News Daily Report? I mean that sites a rag, really. That was my question.

Who knows? Maybe the Vikings traveled up the mighty Mississippi in order to plunder the riverboats, and have their way with those southern belles.

Is this like a publicity stunt for that TV series?
Seriously, though, if they came to Newfoundland, why shouldn't they have ventured forth?

The Viking's rocked.

The Viking Parliament [ Tynwald ] set up here in the Island over 1000yrs ago, is the reason the Isle of Man has the oldest continuous Government in the World.

Bit of trivia for ye.

Tynwald - Parliament of the Isle of Man -
History

Tynwald In History
"Our little nation is the only Norse nation now on earth that can shake hands with the days of the Sagas, and the Sea-Kings. Then let him who will laugh at our primitive ceremonial. It is the badge of our ancient liberty, and we need not envy the man who can look on it unmoved".

The observer at St. John's on 5th July, the Manx National Day, watches a ceremony which has continued unchanged, except in detail, for more than 1,000 years. The annual outdoor sittings of Tynwald, the Manx Parliament, date back to the Viking settlements which began in the eighth century of the first millennium AD. No other parliament in the world has such a long unbroken record.

History_tyn-hill.jpg

This place lies not only at the geographical heart of the Isle of Man, but also at the heart of the Island's sense of nationhood, and its configuration has remained unchanged since Viking times. For well over 1,000 years the inhabitants of the Isle of Man have gathered here at midsummer to hear the laws of their land proclaimed, to seek justice and to air their grievances.

Tynwald, the Manx Parliament, which meets regularly throughout the year but most notably outdoors at St. John's on 5th July, is a direct legacy from our Viking ancestors. Norsemen first came to Mann around the year 800AD, and ruled the Island for four-and-a-half centuries

Dangit. I forgot World News Daily was a fake news site. This article is like the Whale Attack story Mr. Chris posted.

I get World News Daily, World Net Daily, World Daily News always mixed up. It's irritating.

Still, it's not too far a stretch to think they may have visited from "Vinland". But fake articles like this make it hard for serious archaeologists to actively look for evidence.

My mother's side is from Denmark and I live in Alberta Canada :D .

Seems that they even founded Russia. I found that hard to believe until I got to be a best man at a russian wedding. When I came to my senses about 24 hours later, my first thought was "yes, these guys definitely are descended from vikings".

Judging from a cursory search on the net re the "Tennessee Vikings" story, it looks like tabloid stuff. But I honestly don't think we are yet aware of the extent of the Vikings' explorations in North America. Much of it is probably lost to history.

I've somehow wondered how much of the British Empire's seafaring tendencies had Viking roots. Surely those genes and folkways were a factor.

Judging from a cursory search on the net re the "Tennessee Vikings" story, it looks like tabloid stuff. But I honestly don't think we are yet aware of the extent of the Vikings' explorations in North America. Much of it is probably lost to history.

I've somehow wondered how much of the British Empire's seafaring tendencies had Viking roots. Surely those genes and folkways were a factor.

I saw a serious documentary once where they traced the lineage of royalty in England, France, Germany, and Russia back to Vikings. I wonder how the world would be today if they'd never converted to Christianity and Norse mythology had become the dominant religion :D.

The only references I can independently find on this story is the World News Daily Report, and they are not known for their facts.
If this is for real, and I have no idea one way or another, why is it not making a bigger news impact? A Viking ship that far inland is explosive news, textbook-re-writing news.
I'll believe it when I see other news sites pick it up.

My thoughts as well Exo-doc

Research the Kensington Runestone that is now in Alexandria MN. Fascinating stuff, I just visited the museum where it is located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back