• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Video: Neil deGrasse Tyson On Aliens

That's a better video than the last one I saw. At one point he mentions our past history and what happens when a more technologically advanced culture comes upon a lesser advanced culture and how Hawking had noticed that it usually turns out bad for the lesser advanced culture. This is a common comment, but I liked his take on it - that Hawking's observation is a reflection of our knowledge about how we humans treat each other and not on knowledge of how aliens actually behave. In other words, in Neil's opinion, imparting past human behavior onto aliens is an unfounded extrapolation. Fair enough. He also seemed to emphasize the word enslaved? I wonder why? No particular cultural sensitivity there where he's concerned. He doesn't look the least bit Mexican.

Last edited:
Can't get this link to embed so you have to click on it. Not sure how many have seen this.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on aliens. [VIDEO]

Hi Jkoci.
Also, check up those threads from our past discussions here at Paracast forum on that issue:
Neil Tyson talks about UFOs and the argument from ignorance. | The Paracast Community Forums
(from 2009)

and

Why astronomers don’t report UFOs | The Paracast Community Forums
(additional Neil videos on the page 4 of that thread - from 2010)

Last edited:
I never step on a worm if I can avoid it.
So I wasn't the only one that thought that the worm stepping comment was kind of odd. The only time they come up is when it rains really hard, and I just let them go back into the ground where they live. Although there are a few people who will pick them up, impale them on a sharp piece of metal, and throw it into a stream to see if its squirming bleeding body will attract a fish to eat it live and if that happens then the fish is in for an equally nasty surprise, usually involving some sort of death by bludgeoning ... mmm fresh fish ... :confused:

Back