• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Unidentified Submerged Objects (USOs)

Free episodes:

There's a huge difference between Space, and The Ocean.

With space, there's a vaccuum. There is essentially no pressure from the outside where as submerging a vehicle in the ocean, there's the entire weight of the ocean on top of it, not to mention temperature issues, and of course, the crushing weight of all that water.

The thing is, how would you explore the ocean, or look for visual contact when the water isn't really clear, and adding windows to a submersible vehicle can make for a lot of expense?

I think the phenomena of USO's is far more common than that of UFO's, the difference is that we have all kinds of people living on land, and we have hardly anyone who lives on the sea. I'm convinced that if an extra-terrestrial presence were to want to hide, they'd likely hide in the oceans where nobody can really look, with the exception of military submarines, and even then who knows if they could be picked up by conventional detection devices such as sonar, radar, or aegis?

They could have entire bases on the bottom of the ocean where nobody can get to.

I mentioned in another thread- Ivan T Sanderson's book on USO's.. alot of data in there about cat and mouse games between naval ships and large objects being tracked on sonar. Apparently, large disk like objects crashing in and out of our oceans are more common than many might think. Also, a history of captains logs describing such encounters.
Taking all this into consideration, is it not possible that another intelligence resides, hidden, somewhere in planet Earth? Easy access where we have not the technology to explore? Would this "intelligence" have to be ET, or could it be native of our planet?

I mentioned in another thread- Ivan T Sanderson's book on USO's.. alot of data in there about cat and mouse games between naval ships and large objects being tracked on sonar. Apparently, large disk like objects crashing in and out of our oceans are more common than many might think. Also, a history of captains logs describing such encounters.
Taking all this into consideration, is it not possible that another intelligence resides, hidden, somewhere in planet Earth? Easy access where we have not the technology to explore? Would this "intelligence" have to be ET, or could it be native of our planet?

Sanderson's book is certainly a classic. A good call there for anyone interested in underwater UFOs. On the issue of whether or not they would be native to our planet; I think it highly unlikely for most of the same reasons a land based civilization is unlikely. When people consider the issue they tend to imagine the craft and some undersea habitat. What is overlooked is that to be native to this planet, such things would require a lengthy history of an entire civilization and all the infrastructure and facilities required to support it. However because no material evidence of any such civilization has ever surfaced, it isn't reasonable to believe that any such civilization exists. On the other hand, if we are being visited by ETs, a couple of bases built off-world would be much easier to put in place, especially if they were mobile. Only accidental encounters or high end military surveillance would result in detection. It is also conceivable that craft of the types observed ( especially saucer shaped ) could be engineered to operate in an atmosphere, space or underwater. If I were to pick a "most likely scenario" that's the one I'd go with.

I agree, any such craft designed for space travel should also be engineered to withstand deep sea pressure- According to Sanderson, the US navy has quite the history of tracking large underwater objects moving at incredible speeds... not to mention those that have seen these objects crashing in and out of the sea. I find the accounts taken from captain's logs going back hundreds of years, fascinating.

I agree, any such craft designed for space travel should also be engineered to withstand deep sea pressure- According to Sanderson, the US navy has quite the history of tracking large underwater objects moving at incredible speeds... not to mention those that have seen these objects crashing in and out of the sea. I find the accounts taken from captain's logs going back hundreds of years, fascinating.

Saucer and torpedo ( cigar shapes ) are good for handling sea pressure, but deep sea pressures are much harder to engineer for than space. So I wouldn't bet on complex deep sea submersibles, but submersion up to 500 hundred meters should be possible without having to resort to specialized deep descent craft.

Saucer and torpedo ( cigar shapes ) are good for handling sea pressure, but deep sea pressures are much harder to engineer for than space. So I wouldn't bet on complex deep sea submersibles, but submersion up to 500 hundred meters should be possible without having to resort to specialized deep descent craft.
I assume Sonar is capable of detecting the depth of an object? It's been a while since I looked over Sanderon's book, but I'm curious how deep some of these objects were being tracked- days and or weeks at a time, if I recall correctly.

I assume Sonar is capable of detecting the depth of an object? It's been a while since I looked over Sanderon's book, but I'm curious how deep some of these objects were being tracked- days and or weeks at a time, if I recall correctly.

Sanderson's book was written back in the late 60s and copyrighted in 1970, so the sonar data would not have been as good as today's. Who knows what they were actually tracking, but at one point it says that in 1963, US Navy sonar operators tracked a highly maneuverable USO for 4 days down to depths reaching 27,000 feet ( incredible if true ).

Sanderson's book was written back in the late 60s and copyrighted in 1970, so the sonar data would not have been as good as today's. Who knows what they were actually tracking, but at one point it says that in 1963, US Navy sonar operators tracked a highly maneuverable USO for 4 days down to depths reaching 27,000 feet ( incredible if true ).
indeed. Thanks for the info. Fascinating stuff. Just now starting to look at the Shag Harbor incident.

Back