• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Unfair stereotype statement from David

This was not my idea, but it has resonated with me:

We are deceiving ourselves by thinking that science is of any use in unraveling UFOs or any other paranormal phenomena.

Science is only of use in understanding natural phenomena that does not know it is being studied.

Few would dispute the paranormal world is driven by intelligence that is quite aware that it is being studied and is only going to show us what it wants us to know. If true, traditional scientific methodologies are useless.

The idea suggested was that the paranormal would be better studied by intelligence/counter-intelligence types. Individuals who are trained to obtain information from entities that do not want to provide any information.

fitzbew88 said:
Science is only of use in understanding natural phenomena that does not know it is being studied.

This would eliminate sociology and psychology as legitimate fields of study, since humans and masses of humans are often aware that they're being observed. Granted those two fields are 'soft' sciences, I think it is inaccurate to say that science is never used to observe or explain the behavior of a sentient entity.

Few would dispute the paranormal world is driven by intelligence that is quite aware that it is being studied and is only going to show us what it wants us to know.

I guess that depends on the field of the paranormal you refer to. It also seems to assume that sentient paranormal (ie ghosts, aliens, shadow people) have some sort of means to determine whether or not 'science' is being used to observe them. Is this supposed ability infallible? If not, they could be caught unawares by observers just as any natural creature could.

The idea suggested was that the paranormal would be better studied by intelligence/counter-intelligence types. Individuals who are trained to obtain information from entities that do not want to provide any information.

Intelligence/counterintelligence agents using what? I was in US Army military intelligence for four years and was not given any means for rooting out or observing the paranormal. What skills/equipment/methodologies are the members of the intelligence community supposed to use on the paranormal that normal scientist can not?

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
This would eliminate sociology and psychology as legitimate fields of study, since humans and masses of humans are often aware that they're being observed. Granted those two fields are 'soft' sciences, I think it is inaccurate to say that science is never used to observe or explain the behavior of a sentient entity.

Very good point, thank you for offering it up.

But, would you use sociologists/psychologists/etc.. to gather information on a secretive organization? Especially an organization that sometimes seems near all-powerful, never does interviews, and changes the rules whenever it wants? I think that a professional intelligence organization might be more appropriate.

DBTrek said:
I guess that depends on the field of the paranormal you refer to. It also seems to assume that sentient paranormal (ie ghosts, aliens, shadow people) have some sort of means to determine whether or not 'science' is being used to observe them. Is this supposed ability infallible? If not, they could be caught unawares by observers just as any natural creature could.

Unfortunately, I cannot even speculate about this. These phenomena are totally baffling to me. What capabilities they have, or whether they are even driven by intelligence...I don't know.

DBTrek said:
Intelligence/counterintelligence agents using what? I was in US Army military intelligence for four years and was not given any means for rooting out or observing the paranormal. What skills/equipment/methodologies are the members of the intelligence community supposed to use on the paranormal that normal scientist can not?

Well, no, I wouldn't think you would have. :) I'm sure you had enough to worry about as it was!

I can't imagine what methods they would use; but their "bread and butter" is getting information out of "entities" that do not want to reveal any information.

fitzbew88 said:
Very good point, thank you for offering it up.

But, would you use sociologists/psychologists/etc.. to gather information on a secretive organization? Especially an organization that sometimes seems near all-powerful, never does interviews, and changes the rules whenever it wants? I think that a professional intelligence organization might be more appropriate.

For a secretive organization like Skull & Bones, Freemasons, etc an infiltrator would indeed be a useful asset. These are organizations of physical beings though, comprised of humans that meet at known locations. It's finding the paranormal beings in the first place that seems to be the problem.

I can't imagine what methods they would use; but their "bread and butter" is getting information out of "entities" that do not want to reveal any information.

Unfortunately, as recent history has demonstrated, our intelligence apparatus isn't "all that". Plus, I don't know about you, but I'd be a little hesitant to interrogate a being that can traverse space and time in ways far beyond the understanding of my species.

I suppose Gary McKinnon could be viewed as an intelligence gatherer seeking information on the paranormal. Sadly he has an apalling lack of evidence to support his otherwise intriguing story. Did he see photos of UFO's in the NASA computers, or is he simply a busted hacker spinning an incredible tale in hopes of avoiding facing a 70 year jail sentence?

Hard to tell.

-DBTrek

George Knapp & Colm Kelleher mentioned the idea of investigating the paranormal using intelligence/counter-intelligence methodologies in the Hunt for the Skinwalker book (mainly on pages 266-8). Their point was a little more "generalized" than strapping an ET in a chair and interrogating it like a human spy.

They were borrowing from Jacques Vallee's cautions (in Messengers of Deception, among other books) that UFO phenomena can on occasion be deeply tied up with the intelligence and psychological operations fields in ways people 'on the outside' have no way of knowing. Most ufologists are relatively more savvy in the sciences than they are in the world of artificial deceptions and politics, and it behooves them to take a more skeptical, multidisciplinary approach.

The methodologies are fundamentally different. In Science, you gather empirical evidence to prove a hypothesis. In Intelligence, you take into account that the source of your data is an active party (whether it's aliens, the government, hoaxers, EDE's, or what have you)- one that might have the motive and the capability to decieve or manipulate a neutral observer. It's more like a tango than staring at a petrie dish.

On a side note, I'm increasingly impressed with this thread- it's dealt with two major issues that could easily deserve threads of their own- approaching ufology from an intelligence perspective and an entheological perspective.

Also, re Gary McKinnon, FWIW my gut feeling is that he's scared and full of... well, you know. BUT, he's an interesting case because he could be exactly the kind of naive, science-oriented ufologist playing the role of a useful idiot for some other reason. I would say he's an intelligence-gatherer with a lower case "I," and not someone approaching the UFO phenomenon from an Intelligence-based angle.

Listening to his interviews, for all his professed computer security expertise, and his "I'm a white-hat hacker doing the world a service" talk, not once have I heard him raise the subject of honeytraps, something any computer hacker of the skill Gary claims he is should be aware of. He even goes on about having had multiple conversations where he fools hapless NASA computer security engineers, obviously no match for the mighty hacker Gary is (who used some pretty basic script-kiddy techniques), without ever considering that maybe he was the one being fooled. He's drunk the kool-aid and convinced beyond doubt he saw "proof," which makes him either exactly the sort of naive, science-oriented ufologist Vallee warns about, an incredibly arrogant idiot, or as DBTrek mentions, just a liar hoping to avoid jail. Possibly some combination of the three.

(And if by some chance he actually *did* see the smoking gun photos and/or documents, I sure as hell wouldn't admit to it in the same spiel about being such a skilled hacker. Not for fear of any kind of retribution, but out of embarassment for making the worlds most important discovery and being too much of an idiot to log what you were doing. He doesn't get the "I saw a UFO and wasn't expecting it so I didn't have time/was too shocked to take a good pic" excuse, because he claims that's what he was looking for to begin with.)

The political mundanity (er, if that's a word) continues with the release of the Condign report shortly after Gary's "revelations." The 800lb gorilla in the room here isn't UFO's, it's the US/UK relationship in the GWOT, US government network security, and UK public opinion. But UFO's are a pretty good handful of sand for all sides to chuck around, hoping to blind each other and everyone else in the process.

And to make him even more relevant to this thread, he's a heavy stoner to boot! (Probably why he forgot about the "print screen" button....)

DBTrek has already responded to some of this.

fitzbew88 said:
This was not my idea, but it has resonated with me:

We are deceiving ourselves by thinking that science is of any use in unraveling UFOs or any other paranormal phenomena.

Aside from sociology and psychology, this statement also vacates medicine and military science (and a few other fields) from the list of accepted sciences. Subjects in these fields routinely know they are being studied.

Few would dispute the paranormal world is driven by intelligence that is quite aware that it is being studied and is only going to show us what it wants us to know. If true, traditional scientific methodologies are useless.

I dispute the existence of a paranormal world itself. There is no paranormal world. How can you attribute directing intelligence to a phenomenon no one - absolutely no one - has been able to prove scientifically?

What we do have is the known, and the unknown. When an observable, repeating, measurable phenomenon is not understood, it is studied and tested and measured until it is known. If at that point it becomes known, it joins the natural, known, prosaic world. If we still don't understand it, we either continue testing it, or wait on new technology to assist us in making it known. If repeatable, observable, tangible evidence for its existence cannot be gathered, it is discarded and we all move on.

When people talk about their belief in the "paranormal," they're really talking about faith, which goes back to my original assertion that paranormalists are really just religious folks who've changed the characters and plot of a favorite story to fit their current needs. "I have no proof that astral projection, or remote viewing, or ghosts, or flying humanoids exist, but so many people have seen them, and I have seen them, so they must exist." This is faith, not reason. Five thousand people supposedly witnessed Jesus Christ feed them all from a few baskets of bread and fish. More than a dozen people were supposedly present to see a risen Jesus appear to them well after his confirmed death. Those beliefs draw snickers on The Paracast, but belief in all kinds of "paranormal" phenomena don't? Why? All of it is equally hearsay, and completely useless evidentially.

I'm as interested as anybody else in ufology. I want to know what UFOs are. I don't believe that debunkers are being true skeptics - or, more accurately - good critical thinkers. I see physical trace cases and hard radar and sonar returns (sometimes accompanied by multiple eyewitness testimony) that demand explanation.

I'm not even touching this one.

I suppose Gary McKinnon could be viewed as an intelligence gatherer seeking information on the paranormal. Sadly he has an apalling lack of evidence to support his otherwise intriguing story. Did he see photos of UFO's in the NASA computers, or is he simply a busted hacker spinning an incredible tale in hopes of avoiding facing a 70 year jail sentence?

He's also another confessed drug user. I have never slipped low enough in my life to justify the use of illegal narcotics, but I have had good maduros from Cuba that made me think the Second Coming was happening all around me.

Love those Bolivars!;)

A.LeClair said:
Problem lies in peer reviews. Peers are too busy having their minds made up to look at the data if and when it is published for peer review.

But only in the paranormal field? New ideas have had problems breaking through in a wide range of fields, but when supported by evidence, they do irresistibly break through. (Look at the current Clovis controversy, for example.) All paranormalists have to do is conduct well-controlled, repeatable scientific experiments or research that conclusively prove the existence of a claimed phenomenon, and the evidence will speak for itself. Clear evidence is clear evidence, no matter what the personal grudges of the proponent or his critics.

Or, scientist acting unscientifically and having fuzzy logic. Stephen Hawking mentions that he once explored parapsychology, but the controls were always flawed. Conclusion? Psychic phenomena is all rubbish. Huh? Shouldn't he have concluded the experiments were rubbish, corrected them, and tried again?

He's not remotely qualified to study psychic phenomenon, either. If he had conducted experiments, he'd be assailed by critics for his lack of qualifications.

One sad result of over-specialization in the scientific field is the loss of the "renaissance man." If you're a physicist interested in botany, you can't get a botanical paper published unless a botanist signs off on it, regardless of how unassailable your experiments and protocol are.

I sometimes wonder what modern academia would have done with DaVinci. He was a little of everything, but clearly underqualified to work in avionics, botany, medicine, et al, by today's standards.

hopeful skeptic said:
Aside from sociology and psychology, this statement also vacates medicine and military science (and a few other fields) from the list of accepted sciences. Subjects in these fields routinely know they are being studied.

In my own mind, I'm not sure that examples of "successful" human on human study negates the idea that science may be of limited use in understanding paranormal matters; no reasonable human would try to hide the existence of humans from other humans.
hopeful skeptic said:
I dispute the existence of a paranormal world itself. There is no paranormal world. How can you attribute directing intelligence to a phenomenon no one - absolutely no one - has been able to prove scientifically?

Well, this is biting off more than I can chew. I have struggled to convince myself that the UFO phenomena is a real unexplained phenomena and not something else more mundane. But over the years, in the face of a slow stream of inexplicable events I am growing more certain that something is happening that will ultimately "push out" on our understanding of reality.

I can't prove to you that there is anything "paranormal" out there.

hopeful skeptic said:
What we do have is the known, and the unknown. When an observable, repeating, measurable phenomenon is not understood, it is studied and tested and measured until it is known. If at that point it becomes known, it joins the natural, known, prosaic world. If we still don't understand it, we either continue testing it, or wait on new technology to assist us in making it known. If repeatable, observable, tangible evidence for its existence cannot be gathered, it is discarded and we all move on.

Why can't the paranormal fit into that view? As just an unknown prosaic phenomena that we cannot yet measure?

hopeful skeptic said:
When people talk about their belief in the "paranormal," they're really talking about faith, which goes back to my original assertion that paranormalists are really just religious folks who've changed the characters and plot of a favorite story to fit their current needs.

No doubt this is true for some individuals. But when I think about "belief" in the paranomal, I am thinking of "believing" that it is a real phenomena. I "believe" that UFOs are a real phenomena, but I do not intend for them to replace my Christian beliefs.

hopeful skeptic said:
I'm as interested as anybody else in ufology. I want to know what UFOs are. I don't believe that debunkers are being true skeptics - or, more accurately - good critical thinkers. I see physical trace cases and hard radar and sonar returns (sometimes accompanied by multiple eyewitness testimony) that demand explanation

I think perhaps I have misunderstood your meaning a little...it sounds like you are saying you believe that UFOs are real. Yet, you do not believe in the paranormal world? Perhaps our vocabulary needs to be synchronized, so to speak.

In my own mind, I'm not sure that examples of "successful" human on human study negates the idea that science may be of limited use in understanding paranormal matters; no reasonable human would try to hide the existence of humans from other humans.

That these powerful, all-encompassing paranormal phenomena cannot have a single successful, controlled, peer-reviewed experiment conducted on them to prove their existence speaks for itself. If someone believes in something that can't be proven, it is faith, not reason.

Well, this is biting off more than I can chew. I have struggled to convince myself that the UFO phenomena is a real unexplained phenomena and not something else more mundane. But over the years, in the face of a slow stream of inexplicable events I am growing more certain that something is happening that will ultimately "push out" on our understanding of reality.

I can't prove to you that there is anything "paranormal" out there.

I refer to the previous paragraph. You have faith that something is afoot, but no proof to support it. You believe "something is happening," and that is your right to do so.

Why can't the paranormal fit into that view? As just an unknown prosaic phenomena that we cannot yet measure?

How long must we wait for proof that these phenomena are real? At some point, Flat Earthers had to put up or shut up. When we sailed around the world, observed the curvature of the horizon, sent up satellites, went to the Moon, took trips in the shuttle, observed other planets, etc., we conclusively proved that the Earth is round. The Flat Earth theory was discarded, and we all moved on.

Psychic prognosticators, for example, have been around for thousands of years. Psychics, medicine men, prophets, spirit guides, mediums or remote viewers -call them what you will - have never been able to provide one scrap of incontrovertible evidence that supports their supposed "powers." How many more thousands of years will be wasted on this nonsense before we can all move on and ask these people to acquire useful jobs?

Those who claim that ghosts, specters, spooks, alien abductions, astral projection, et al, exist have the responsibility to provide the supporting proof for their assertions. All those phenomena exist outside the realm of science. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

No doubt this is true for some individuals. But when I think about "belief" in the paranomal, I am thinking of "believing" that it is a real phenomena. I "believe" that UFOs are a real phenomena, but I do not intend for them to replace my Christian beliefs.

As a Christian, you're no doubt familiar with Paul's definition of faith: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Folks holding beliefs in phenomena for which there is no tangible, incontrovertible proof have faith, not reason in their corner.

And that's fine. I begrudge no one their right to have faith in something. But that faith shouldn't be taken for evidence that something exists, and that faith shouldn't replace reason as the basis on which society moves forward.

I think perhaps I have misunderstood your meaning a little...it sounds like you are saying you believe that UFOs are real. Yet, you do not believe in the paranormal world? Perhaps our vocabulary needs to be synchronized, so to speak.

This is my second-biggest gripe about modern ufology. I don't know why or how UFO enthusiasts allowed the field to become mixed up with ghosts, remote viewing or psychics. Why must I accept the existence of all "paranormal" phenomena? I see evidence in radar returns, sonar returns and physical trace cases that some kind of phenomenon has occurred - a phenomenon that defies conventional explanation. I see no similar evidence for other "paranormal" phenomena. Show me the money!

When a Japanese airliner near Alaska reports a near-collision with a flying object to its fore, the sighting is confirmed by a following British airliner and the radar returns are such that military jets are scrambled to intercept the object, and all of it is caught on audio recordings, that is interesting to me, and warrants further investigation.

I am very interested in the investigation of UFO cases for which there is hard, corroborating evidence. Some fellow's night terror visitations by dwarves in tin hats are simply wasting my time, and are better left to audiences interested in matters ethereal and mythical - like ghosts, spooks, specters, and flying humanoids.

That is why I could never host a show like The Paracast. The hosts have to entertain some nonsense, because they have slots to fill, and one can only go over certain UFO cases a certain number of times before the audience's eyes begin to glaze over.

hopeful skeptic said:
That these powerful, all-encompassing paranormal phenomena cannot have a single successful, controlled, peer-reviewed experiment conducted on them to prove their existence speaks for itself. If someone believes in something that can't be proven, it is faith, not reason.

If my chickens are disappearing from my chicken coop, and I suspect a fox is stealing them but I can't prove it [yet], is that faith? Or is it a theory, hunch, suspicion, etc.? The culprit is probably a fox, and I will catch him as soon as I can figure out how. But this does not feel like faith to me, in the traditional sense.

The fox is clever, swift and much better at being a fox than I am.

I'd wager most everything we know now was once just like this: a hunch, a suspicion, an educated guess. And when we determined how to prove it, we did.

hopeful skeptic said:
As a Christian, you're no doubt familiar with Paul's definition of faith: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Folks holding beliefs in phenomena for which there is no tangible, incontrovertible proof have faith, not reason in their corner.

I guess I just am not yet convinced that the faith of religion is equivalent to the belief in the paranormal merely because both have not yet been incontrovertibly proven.

What would you say if I suggested that none of our established science has yet been incontrovertibly proven, because the quantum and non-quantum "universes" have not yet been reconciled?

But you have surely given me something to puzzle over.

hopeful skeptic said:
I don't know why or how UFO enthusiasts allowed the field to become mixed up with ghosts, remote viewing or psychics. Why must I accept the existence of all "paranormal" phenomena? I see evidence in radar returns, sonar returns and physical trace cases that some kind of phenomenon has occurred - a phenomenon that defies conventional explanation. I see no similar evidence for other "paranormal" phenomena. Show me the money!

LOL! I don't think we ever did! I think it was thrust on us! I do wish we could "disconnect" UFOs with some other areas. But I don't know exactly where to draw the lines. Nor am I convinced it would really help.

I have a fear that the 50s-70s were our real chance to bring some resolution to at least the UFO matter, but it just didn't come together.

hopeful skeptic said:
When a Japanese airliner near Alaska reports a near-collision with a flying object to its fore, the sighting is confirmed by a following British airliner and the radar returns are such that military jets are scrambled to intercept the object, and all of it is caught on audio recordings, that is interesting to me, and warrants further investigation.

Are you taling about JAL1628? If so, I believe your facts are a little muddled. If you are talking about another case, I'd love to hear more about it.

hopeful skeptic said:
I am very interested in the investigation of UFO cases for which there is hard, corroborating evidence.

How do you justify your own interest? As faith, a hypothesis, or what? Or do you consider the phenomenon "proven" enough to justify further research? (Not trying to be combative here, I just sense a little bit of a contradiction.)

If someone believes in something that can't be proven, it is faith, not reason.

While I certainly agree with the core sentiment of that statement, what does one make of personal experiences, shared experiences without physical proof? I've seen UFOs, with multiple witnesses, some sort of ghostly entity (with another corroborating witness), and a whole lot more stuff I have yet to talk about on the show. It's not a question of faith, it's my direct experience. I don't have hard, physical evidence to offer, so does that make my experiences less tangible or valid? I understand that the Paracast audience is entitled to doubt me, and to question my experiences, but is that supposed to reduce their legitimacy? What do I gain from telling people about these experiences? One might argue that I'm making this stuff up for the show, but the fact is that I'm doing this show as a form of therapy for myself, to explore the questions that I ask myself about what I've witnessed, to engage in some sort of dialog with others who are also interested in understanding this stuff, to the degree that anyone can understand anything.

Some of you seem to question aspects of our approach with the guests, but the fact is that the human mind seems to need some form of mystical experience in order to differentiate and appreciate the Universe that we can see, touch, smell, taste and feel. People view reality through their own lens, or reality tunnel, and extreme stances seem less than useful in the overall discussion of the paranormal. When we speak to people on The Paracast, we have to ask questions and engage folks in conversations. The mere fact that we're talking about fringe topics means that we're gonna have to speak to fringe folks at times, that's the nature of the game. We can learn something from just about anyone, regardless of their stance or position. I've learned lots about the frailty of the human ego in the last year, dealing with folks who seem to be one bit shy of absolute madness, and the issues of intolerance are now near and dear to me.

Anyone who makes ANY kind of definitive statements about the nature of the unknown is most likely wrong - I've been told that the planet Earth is not capable of having a will, of having the power of determination. Yeah, OK, we know so much about our own planet - we know what it's made of, we know how it came into existence, we know how life evolved on it, we know all about all the civilizations that have ever inhabited it, we have a keen sense of the way that the planet handles the impact of human presence, we have intimate details of the makeup of the core of the planet, we know exactly how the weather systems work.... oh, yeah, that's right, we know diddley about the meta-issues of the planet we live on.

Human vanity will be our undoing... worship at the alters of science or religion, just make sure you choose ONE, republican or democrat, black or white, gay or straight, dope smoker or drinker, choose a box and squeeze into it, otherwise your opinion is meaningless. What a load - as if reality was a binary concept. Dead or alive, no in-between.

NOTHING is that clear and defined. Nothing. Believe what you want. Chances are, everything you know is wrong.

Or not.

dB

hopeful skeptic said:
But only in the paranormal field? New ideas have had problems breaking through in a wide range of fields, but when supported by evidence, they do irresistibly break through. (Look at the current Clovis controversy, for example.) All paranormalists have to do is conduct well-controlled, repeatable scientific experiments or research that conclusively prove the existence of a claimed phenomenon, and the evidence will speak for itself. Clear evidence is clear evidence, no matter what the personal grudges of the proponent or his critics.

He's not remotely qualified to study psychic phenomenon, either. If he had conducted experiments, he'd be assailed by critics for his lack of qualifications.

One sad result of over-specialization in the scientific field is the loss of the "renaissance man." If you're a physicist interested in botany, you can't get a botanical paper published unless a botanist signs off on it, regardless of how unassailable your experiments and protocol are.

I sometimes wonder what modern academia would have done with DaVinci. He was a little of everything, but clearly underqualified to work in avionics, botany, medicine, et al, by today's standards.

Only in the paranormal? No. I didn't say or imply that so far as I can tell.

fitzbew88 said:
If my chickens are disappearing from my chicken coop, and I suspect a fox is stealing them but I can't prove it [yet], is that faith? Or is it a theory, hunch, suspicion, etc.? The culprit is probably a fox, and I will catch him as soon as I can figure out how. But this does not feel like faith to me, in the traditional sense.

This comparison is invalid. Odds are you have reason to suspect a fox. Tufts of red fur caught on the skirting board of the coop, paw prints in the dirt outside, scratch marks on the sides of the coop and the experience of others to draw on. If your chickens were vaporising into thin air, you MIGHT have a valid comparison.

David Biedny said:
Yeah, OK, we know so much about our own planet - we know what it's made of, we know how it came into existence, we know how life evolved on it, we know all about all the civilizations that have ever inhabited it, we have a keen sense of the way that the planet handles the impact of human presence, we have intimate details of the makeup of the core of the planet, we know exactly how the weather systems work.... oh, yeah, that's right, we know diddley about the meta-issues of the planet we live on.

There's that scientific schizophrenia again... You can't go around demanding scientific proof for things and making statements like "I don't want to believe, I want to KNOW!" and then turn around and crap all over science and "knowledge" when it rubs you the wrong way. For all of the above things we do know everything we CAN know about them at this point in time, given our current level of technology. We know plenty but to put forth the notion that what we know is somehow invalid because we don't know it ALL yet is downright silly.

Schrodinger's wrong. The cat is either alive or it's dead. Life is absolutely a binary experience.

A.LeClair said:
Only in the paranormal? No. I didn't say or imply that so far as I can tell.

I'm sorry. I don't understand the gist of the response.

While I certainly agree with the core sentiment of that statement, what does one make of personal experiences, shared experiences without physical proof? I've seen UFOs, with multiple witnesses, some sort of ghostly entity (with another corroborating witness), and a whole lot more stuff I have yet to talk about on the show. It's not a question of faith, it's my direct experience. I don't have hard, physical evidence to offer, so does that make my experiences less tangible or valid?

Respectfully, your personal experiences sans proof are meaningless in the evidentiary sense, except to you. They shouldn't prove anything to anyone else, and aren't verifiable or testable. They're anecdotal stories. They may have been frightfully real to you, or a large group of people, but they're still stories. They can inspire faith, belief, curiousity, a sense of something larger, but they're still stories.

I'll tell you a true story that I've never told anyone else, and a story that only a few folks in my family know about. This is an honest story, Mr. Biedny:

When I was a kid living in Granville, Ohio back in the late 70s, I was walking home from playing outside one day, and I saw a pterodactyl fly not fifty feet over my head and into a big copse of trees adjoining our property. It scared me to death. I saw everything as clearly as could be - I can still see it now. I saw the leathery wings, the sunlight glint off the long proboscis, its small feet tucked in behind it, the tail acting like a rudder, the animal glide on the wind without flapping its wings, its burnt-brownish color - everything. I remember what clothes I had on, that the wind was a little chilly, and that a green car drove by me as this happened - lots of little details. I ran home and told everyone in my family what I'd seen. There was no question in my mind that I saw a pterodactyl.

A couple of days later I was refusing to go outside my house. Herb Smythe was a farmer who lived next door, and he came to see my parents (my father was the pastor of the local church). Someone mentioned to him that I was afraid to come outside because of what I'd seen, and he asked me if I'd take a walk outside with him, so long as he held my hand and stayed with me. I agreed.

We walked outside and he asked me to look up. Sure enough, there was the pterodactyl. Except it wasn't a pterodactyl. It was a buzzard. Mr. Smythe had shot a fox two days before, and the buzzards were still taking apart the carcass. What I'd seen was a buzzard.

Now, how did I know it was a buzzard, and not a pterodactyl? Looking back, I understand exactly what happened. I was a kid with a very active imagination, loved dinosaurs, and never missed an episode of Land of the Lost. I had dinosaur wallpaper, had dinosaur books and even a record of dinosaur adventure stories for my record player. In short, I was somebody who identified what he saw - without knowing it - based on what I was interested in, and what I wanted to believe I'd seen, despite the fright it gave me.

How about another example? I collect horror films (nothing after 1968, thank you). When I'm at home during a blackout, or walking out at night with my dog, I get spooked. I'm sure the wolfman or a zombie is hiding behind the bushes, ready to tear out my esophagus and eat me. Now, those things don't really exist, and a 36-year-old shouldn't be nervous of them at all. But I programmed myself to be a little leery of the dark since childhood, and the feelings are hard to shake. I'm disposed to believe, and somewhere - somewhere - I want to believe. It's why folks go to horror movies in the first place.

Let's take a last example. There's a thread on the forum titled "Satellites?" A fellow saw a bright light pass from one horizon to the other at a pretty quick pace, and wanted to know what it was. His first thought, though, was to find a prosaic explanation for it, because he's heard that one can see satellites, or the ISS, or the space shuttle in orbit if the light is right. A responder offered a prosaic reason that fit the facts he supplied, and he was content.

Now, if he were a past-help UFO believer, he'd chalk that up as a UFO experience, leave it at that, and petition George Noory for a spot on Coast to Coast (and he'd probably get it, since C2C is hard up for guests right now). He is disposed to believe in UFOs - wants to believe in them - and what he saw is a UFO, dammit, and prosaic explanations don't interest him.

I understand that the Paracast audience is entitled to doubt me, and to question my experiences, but is that supposed to reduce their legitimacy? What do I gain from telling people about these experiences? One might argue that I'm making this stuff up for the show, but the fact is that I'm doing this show as a form of therapy for myself, to explore the questions that I ask myself about what I've witnessed, to engage in some sort of dialog with others who are also interested in understanding this stuff, to the degree that anyone can understand anything.

I have no reason to doubt that what you say happened to you, happened to you as you believe you experienced it. Did it happen objectively? I am in no position to say.

Mr. Biedny, let me ask you this. On an older thread, addressing a different topic, you referred to Jesus as a "dead Jewish carpenter." It's quite clear from the show that you are not a practicing Christian, and don't believe in Christian cosmogony. No problems with that.

Christianity is based on the recorded, eyewitness accounts of dozens, hundreds and (in a few cases) thousands of people. These people had personal experiences that convinced them that the Jewish carpenter, Jesus, was the Son of God. In the thousands of years after his crucifixion, Jesus has appeared to multitudes, been credited with miracles, etc.

Don't believe Jesus even existed (i.e., using now-discredited scholarship)? Fine. Every Bible possesses letters from the Apostle Paul and the Book of Acts (written by a third party) that relate Paul's blinding on the road to Damascus and his audible conversation with Jesus. Paul and the third party believed that what happened to him, happened to him, and he presumably had a blinding to reinforce his story - more than can be said for any one of a number of paranormal "witnesses."

In light of that, what makes you discard these personal experiences, but accept those of Mr. Ritzmann, or a friend, or a guest, or yourself?

If personal experiences - multiple ones, sometimes - are a valid basis for belief, why do you discard Christianity, or Islam, or Hinduism, or any other belief system in favor of another? Why don't you have to accept them all equally? How can you possibly be in a position to judge the veracity of any belief system's claims?

I would suggest that the reason is the same as the one that convinced me I saw a pterodactyl in Granville, Ohio. I was predisposed to believe it, and I wanted - maybe needed - to believe it, whether I knew it or not. You don't have a need to accept Christian cosmogony, with all its attendant guilt and self-flagellation, so you've discarded it, and chosen to ignore or disbelieve the eyewitness proponents of that faith. Why?

Some of you seem to question aspects of our approach with the guests, but the fact is that the human mind seems to need some form of mystical experience in order to differentiate and appreciate the Universe that we can see, touch, smell, taste and feel.

I agree with this completely. Some humans do seem to need a belief in something larger (some scientists are now suggesting that the need is programmed in our genes). This does not, however, mean that the perceived phenomena is real at all. It means the need is real.

People view reality through their own lens, or reality tunnel, and extreme stances seem less than useful in the overall discussion of the paranormal.

Well, I'd characterize a guest who believes in thought photography and demonology as extreme. I'd view MH and his Meier nonsense as extreme. I'd view a ufologist who takes the report of a group of mescaline users seriously extreme. I'd view a fellow who is visited at night by dwarfish figures in tin hats as extreme. There's nothing wrong with extreme guests - it's a show, after all - but, like you say, they're less than useful if you're looking for "truth."

When we speak to people on The Paracast, we have to ask questions and engage folks in conversations. The mere fact that we're talking about fringe topics means that we're gonna have to speak to fringe folks at times, that's the nature of the game.

Absolutely. I've mentioned this point a few times. It's a radio show.

We can learn something from just about anyone, regardless of their stance or position. I've learned lots about the frailty of the human ego in the last year, dealing with folks who seem to be one bit shy of absolute madness, and the issues of intolerance are now near and dear to me.

But in these cases, I think you're really learning more about human nature than you are about UFOs, ghosts, spooks, specters or flying humanoids. You're learning something inward, not outward. And that's fine.

Anyone who makes ANY kind of definitive statements about the nature of the unknown is most likely wrong - I've been told that the planet Earth is not capable of having a will, of having the power of determination. Yeah, OK, we know so much about our own planet - we know what it's made of, we know how it came into existence, we know how life evolved on it, we know all about all the civilizations that have ever inhabited it, we have a keen sense of the way that the planet handles the impact of human presence, we have intimate details of the makeup of the core of the planet, we know exactly how the weather systems work.... oh, yeah, that's right, we know diddley about the meta-issues of the planet we live on.

I haven't the slightest idea what "meta-issues" means. If the planet has a will, what is it? How do you determine it? Do you believe one can talk to the Earth? How? The planet is rock and water. It is made up of organic compounds that we can measure and study. It is not "alive;" that which lives on it is alive. Does Mars have a will? Does Jupiter? Does the sun? Does an asteroid? Does a dust particle floating out in space? If you believe any of these things has a will, prove it. Show evidence that supports your belief.

This Gaia love fest is inextricably linked with paranormal cosmogony, and I can't fathom why.

Human vanity will be our undoing... worship at the alters of science or religion, just make sure you choose ONE, republican or democrat, black or white, gay or straight, dope smoker or drinker, choose a box and squeeze into it, otherwise your opinion is meaningless. What a load - as if reality was a binary concept. Dead or alive, no in-between.

I don't "worship" at the altar of science. I do insist that beliefs be based on evidence and facts. That is how a responsible life should be lived. Whether you admit it or not, the practical side of your life is based on fact and evidence.

How do you determine the veracity of an image in a photograph, Mr. Biedny? Facts and evidence. You carefully examine the image and look for tell-tale signs of manipulation. This is science, based largely on your experience having dealt with evidence of varying degrees of quality before.

If all personal experiences have equal validity, and should be taken on face value, then you shouldn't have questioned any of the Meier photographs. Lots of people believe Meier. He says he took the photographs fair-and-square. That you don't believe him, that you don't accept everything every kook coming down the pipe tells you means that you live your life with a nonsense filter. I'm merely asking you to apply that filter in all areas of your life, and harbor no sacred cows.

If you're searching for "truth," you have to be willing to sacrifice some dearly-held beliefs and desires.

NOTHING is that clear and defined. Nothing. Believe what you want. Chances are, everything you know is wrong.

Wow.

CapnG brilliantly answered this already, but I will add one thing. If a fellow has chickens that are disappearing on nights when a black triangle hovers over the coop, beams a laser through the windows, leaves burnt shingles and broken tree branches from its presence, and the fellow photographed the whole thing, I am willing to listen and investigate. Folks like Joe Nickell, for whom nothing can possibly exist because he's already ruled it out, are as irresponsible and unscientific as the most rabid paranormal believer.

I'd wager most everything we know now was once just like this: a hunch, a suspicion, an educated guess. And when we determined how to prove it, we did.

Right. What you're describing is essentially the scientific method. Sometimes scientists guess wrong, and new evidence steers them in a new direction. But it's evidence that provides the rudder and powers the sail, not personal experiences or speculation.

I guess I just am not yet convinced that the faith of religion is equivalent to the belief in the paranormal merely because both have not yet been incontrovertibly proven. ....But you have surely given me something to puzzle over.

I have painfully, and with great difficulty, shed the religious beliefs on which I was raised. It is hard, excruciating work. I'm no better than anyone else, and I am not more "advanced" than a believer. I'm only suggesting that discussions on the validity of claimed phenomena must be based on evidence and not the need to believe, or the comfort we enjoy as a result of that belief.

These discussions give me much to puzzle over, too, and I'm glad we have a place to hold them. Thank you, The Paracast!

What would you say if I suggested that none of our established science has yet been incontrovertibly proven, because the quantum and non-quantum "universes" have not yet been reconciled?

I would say that I have yet to hear a psychic or remote viewer use quantum physics (the mechanics of which have not convincingly been proven yet) as the explanation for the origins of their powers. I hear about angels, spirit guides, alien viewing techniques, et al, but very little about science. From what I've observed about the folks asserting their superpowers, I would advise them to stay as far away from scientific investigation as possible. Sylvia Browne should - and does - steer as clear of James Randi as possible, despite publicly promising to accept the $1,000,000 challenge.

(Concerning why we allowed ufology to be lumped in with other "paranormal" claims.) LOL! I don't think we ever did! I think it was thrust on us! I do wish we could "disconnect" UFOs with some other areas. But I don't know exactly where to draw the lines. Nor am I convinced it would really help.

I think it's largely been a byproduct of the media and the convention organizers. "In Search Of" - that classic of the 70s, and one of my all-time favorite shows - lumped it in together, and several of the "docudramas" (Overlords of the UFOs, for example) did the same. Fate magazine did it, as did a lot of the pulp sensationals of the time. I guess convention organizers presume that the more variety in the hall, the more potential attendees you'll have.

It is probably too late to separate ufology from the rest, but I know one thing. If I were a scientist, I'd feel more comfortable attending a UFO conference where hard evidence is presented in a professional manner than I would standing in line with remote viewers, professed psychics and idiots who bend spoons.

I have a fear that the 50s-70s were our real chance to bring some resolution to at least the UFO matter, but it just didn't come together.

It was a hot time, there were some folks with legitimate scientific credentials still involved with ufology, and some opportunities were possibly missed. Very unfortunate.

How do you justify your own interest? As faith, a hypothesis, or what? Or do you consider the phenomenon "proven" enough to justify further research? (Not trying to be combative here, I just sense a little bit of a contradiction.)

I don't see any contradiction. I see hard evidence of physical craft that are as yet unidentified. They may be test aircraft, interplanetary craft, or something else. I think the evidence gathered warrants serious investigation, and not the dismissive chortling of Joe Nickell-types.

If I believed they were aliens come to Earth to save us from our global warming "problem," our wars, our sicknesses, our foibles, dogs and cats living together, et al, I would be engaging in faith, since there is not one scrap of evidence for any of this. Living my life and changing my whole view of the universe and my place in it based on these perceptions would be silly folly, since there is no evidence for it. It would be a life based on faith, not reason.

(I recalled the JAL1628 incident from memory, and botched two details, as you correctly noted. The second passenger plane was a United flight, not British Airways. The military plane, codenamed TOTEM, was in flight already, and not scrambled. The other details are accurate. Here's where everyone can read a little more on it, though Stanton Friedman has some additional information somewhere on his website. The link connects interested readers to a lengthy report by Bruce Maccabee.)

The Fantastic Flight of JAL1628

hopeful skeptic said:
Don't believe Jesus even existed (i.e., using now-discredited scholarship)? Fine. Every Bible possesses letters from the Apostle Paul and the Book of Acts (written by a third party) that relate Paul's blinding on the road to Damascus and his audible conversation with Jesus. Paul and the third party believed that what happened to him, happened to him, and he presumably had a blinding to reinforce his story - more than can be said for any one of a number of paranormal "witnesses."

In light of that, what makes you discard these personal experiences, but accept those of Mr. Ritzmann, or a friend, or a guest, or yourself?

Saliently stated, precise, I'm tempted to call that analogy brilliant. The fact that you can compose something like this AND something like the views you stated on alcohol/drugs leaves me completely baffled.

Are there two different people using your account?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

-DBTrek

(Though I don't think 'yourself' should have been included in the list with 'Mr. Ritzman' and 'friends'. Ones own personal experiences are extremely hard to doubt)

Saliently stated, precise, I'm tempted to call that analogy brilliant. The fact that you can compose something like this AND something like the views you stated on alcohol/drugs leaves me completely baffled.

Are there two different people using your account?

I'm missing something. What does my question to Mr. Biedny have to do with regarding drug and alcohol abusers as misguided and dangerous?

(Though I don't think 'yourself' should have been included in the list with 'Mr. Ritzman' and 'friends'. Ones own personal experiences are extremely hard to doubt)

No, they're not. If they were hard to doubt, I'd be living today in the belief that there was a pterodactyl making its home in Granville, Ohio, circa 1977.

CapnG said:
This comparison is invalid. Odds are you have reason to suspect a fox. Tufts of red fur caught on the skirting board of the coop, paw prints in the dirt outside, scratch marks on the sides of the coop and the experience of others to draw on. If your chickens were vaporising into thin air, you MIGHT have a valid comparison.

Wait. This was an analogy meant to support the idea that we can "believe" in something with little or no evidence, and that the belief is not equivalent to religious faith.

And no, in my analogy I have no reason to suspect a fox other than my chickens are disappearing and I suspect foxes around. My faith in the culpability of the fox is not comparable to faith in the religious sense.

Back