• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFO movies

yea the blob was from outer space... it crashed landed on well it looked like a meteorite and that farmer and his dog saw it... they went to go check it out and a farmer poked it with a stick and it clung to the stick and got his ass LOL the 1st victim. Now i am dreadfully sorry if im referring to the remake (which sucked) but i know it did come from a meteorite.... OH YEA and they couldn't stop it so they froze it and dropped it off at the north or south pole.

Rick Deckard said:
I still love "The Thing from Another World (1951)" - the original black and white film that Carpenter remade as "The Thing (1982)".

IMDB Link

oh yeah i forgot about that one with kurt russell ... i didn't realize that was a remake imma have to check out the original now :)

banning said:
Rick Deckard said:
I still love "The Thing from Another World (1951)" - the original black and white film that Carpenter remade as "The Thing (1982)".

IMDB Link

oh yeah i forgot about that one with kurt russell ... i didn't realize that was a remake imma have to check out the original now :)

Well, the original is 'tame' by modern standards, but does manage to create a lot of tension with a Geiger counter that indicates the relative location of the 'monster' - very much like they did later with "Alien" and their 'motion' sensor...

I went to two different viideo stores and neither had Killer Klowns From Outer Space. Oh well Banning I will never know if it is better than They Lvie.

Ally said:
I went to two different viideo stores and neither had Killer Klowns From Outer Space. Oh well Banning I will never know if it is better than They Lvie.

While I haven't checked, I get all my stuff from Netflix these days, unless I'm actually buying a movie.

Ally said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I am still trying to get used to the computer era.

Netflix only uses your computer for ordering DVDs for rental -- and they also sell previously viewed at a cheap price.

Their interface is fairly simple to manage, so it won't take much time to get accustomed to the layout.

"The Forgotten" (2004) with Julianne Moore and Alfre Woodard puts forward an interesting reason for abductions... I like how the story unfolds.

Refer to imdb (damn iPod touch Safari has no cut and paste) 8(

John Carpenter's "The THing" gave me some serious nightmares as did this other movie that came out in 1985 called "Lifeforce". Was about these aliens in a small town. They sorta looked like greys, sucked the lifeforce out of people, real creepy. IN the end there was this shot of an enormous cylindrical craft floating over the small town. Seemed like a great movie— but the again I was about 9 or 10 so it might suck by my current standards.

Lifeforce was written by Dan O'Bannon (who also wrote Alien, AvP and Dark Star) and directed by Tobe (Texas Chainsaw Massacre) Hooper. It is a fine film although I don't remember the aliens outside of the human bodies they took over... I do remember a good deal of nudity. It doesn't compare with They Live, though, because it is part of the Carpenter Trinity of Awesomeness (They Live, Big Trouble in Little China and Escape From New York)

How did I miss this thread before?

I can't believe that it has gotten to page 4 without anyone mentioning The Day The Earth Stood Still as an intelligent film (that will be ruined when remade) and explored the idea of a benign alien race. On the flip side (more action, less thought), I am a big fan of Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers as well. Sure, the aliens in that need a good ass-kicking, but it has great stop motion effects by Ray Harryhausen and I am a huge fan of his. Not only was the screenplay by legendary author/screenwriter Curt Siodmak but it was credited as being based on Keyhoe's Flying Saucers From Outer Space.

In the fairly intelligent 1950's science fiction vein, I think that Forbidden Planet and This Island Earth are also worth watching. I haven't seen This Island Earth in a while, but I watch Forbidden Planet often. I know it is not strictly a flying saucer movie (there is one in the movie.... but Leslie Nielsen is the captain) but it features an alien culture.

I also think that Lifeforce was set in London, wasn't it? I don't think it was in a small town... I need to find a copy of it again!

Michael L. said:
I can't believe that it has gotten to page 4 without anyone mentioning The Day The Earth Stood Still...

That's because we've done this thread before several months ago and some of us have already put most the 'classics' in that thread...

...previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2

There's probably Sci-Fi talk scattered across lots of threads - I do my best to get some Sci-Fi chat in whenever I can...after all, it is the only 'fiction' worth reading. Good Sci-Fi is a gold-mine for new ways of thinking... :cool:

UFO/SciFi movies are not nearly as scary as Terror Storm Final Cut. We are in deep shit my friends. time to wake up.

Rick, I am not surprised that is in other threads, but when the question is specifically for reasonably intelligent UFO related movies... well, hell, I mean The Day The Earth Stood Still is kind of the grand-daddy of them all, don't you think? And it might not have been missed, but many people haven't seen it in a while.

Besides, I am on a crusade to get as many people as possible to watch it again before it is ruined by Keanu Reeves. Seriously, there is exactly a 0% chance that the remake will not suck.

Now here is an idea for a B movie. Maybe the ants could get bigger and smarter and take over Texas.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20080514/Texas.Ants/

Have you ever seen The Outer Limits episode called The Zanti Misfits?

250px-Ol-thezantimisfits.jpg

Back