• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFO detector network?

Are there any updates to any of the ideas in this thread? Did Peter Davenport's passive radar get anywhere at all?
I recently came across info that some UAPs emit a 3GHz signal modulated at about 600Hz (a rather terrestrial technology sounding signature!), as hinted at by Ross Coulthart, and described by Jacques Vallee way back in a 1980s TV interview. This seems to me to be a really interesting facet to the subject that I wasn't aware of until recently, has seemingly been known about for decades, yet appears to have attracted no interest at all. Are any of the heavyweight civilian researchers following this up? The equipment to monitor these frequencies is available off the shelf now for a few hundred dollars and might give interesting data if located at UAP hotspots. Maybe such observations are incorporated into Chris O'Brien's San Luis Valley project? (Unfortunately I can't see anything after March 2021 on Chris's blog: Our Strange Planet)

The technological detection of this phenomenon I find fascinating, much of it relatively simple so any one can contribute. Ray Stanford's Project Starlight leaflet (first post in this thread) show some very simple designs - maybe too simple - but an entry point for anyone wishing to peruse this aspect.

I'm disappointed that more of these attempts aren't fully in operation now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pentagon is already doing something as part of their UAP program.

It was the military study of these objects that revealed decades ago the modulated microwave radiation produed by some of them, as was revealed in the 1980s Jacques Vallee TV interview. Equipment for serious amateur study and detection of these frequencies is widely available now, ask any local radio ham or radio ham club.

Maybe these aspects are not taken up in civilian UAP studies as they are considered "too technical", although there's nothing technical about Ray Stanford's simple designs linked to in the fisrt post of this thread. In any case, plenty of us who take an interest in this area are engineers in various fields (I built my own Hall effect alarmed magnetometer/UFO detector) so the expertise it out there, some of it no doubt lurking on this forum...

This subject has been briefly discussed on this forum before, but I have an old pamphlet published by Ray Stanford scanned and posted below, and I'd like to bring the subject up for discussion again. This forum and the Paracast has links with Ray. It also has some experienced and very informed members from MUFON.

Background for newbies: UFOs - whatever they may be - are supposed to be surrounded by strong magnetic fields or distort the earth's magnetic field. The theory, I guess, comes from close encounter reports of petrol vehicles stalling while diesel vehicles did not. It was speculated that this was because the electrical circuits to operate petrol vehicles was being interfered with by the UFO.

In 1975, Ray Stanford was director of Project Starlight International. I have the pamphlet published by PSI showing how to make a couple of electro-mechanical UFO compass/magnets-on-a-wire detectors. They are very crude magnetometers and you'd need a strong field to set off those things! But they were simple and could be made at home fairly easily. Anyway, the idea was that folks build these and created a network of detectors and when activated tell the PSI 'detection net coordinator'. What a great idea! Does anyone have a record of this project's findings? Does Ray read this forum? Why aren't we doing something like that now??

Surely this is a project MUFON could initiate amongst its members? Ideally these would all be connected to the internet and send data to MUFON for patterns to emerge. But cheap home made ones may have a place, with activation reports emailed to MUFON and data compared with known geomagnetic activity from official magnetic observatories (e.g. the UK has three such observatories).

There are "UFO detectors" available vial Amazon, ebay etc. mostly using Hall-effect devices but are still fairly crude, insensitive magnetometers. I've built one of similar design. It has been activated a few times...

I know apps for smart phones for UFO detectors have been discussed and may be available, but can't see them working unless the phones is left in one place for very long periods. Moving it around in normal uses would of course subject it the constant changes in the direction and strength of the earth's magnetic field.

So... how about resurrecting and updating Ray's idea from 1975, and using the internet pass the data to some central point - MUFON for example? Yes? No? Stupid idea?

For some reason they've come out turned by 90 degrees to fit. I can't see how to fix that, but they're easily turned using arrow button when displayed. Sorry...
Hey Ian, it's my first time posting in this community. I'm somewhat involved with a project called the "UAP Society" (uapsociety.com). Basically, they're issuing NFTs to fund the launch of space balloons that have sensors designed to collect data on UAPs. I'm not sure exactly what type of sensors they're using or what type of data they're collecting, but I know they're using sensors and equipment developed by Sky360 (sky360.org).

The UAP Society is headed by Chris Lehto who has an excellent youtube channel on UAPs called "the Lehto Files". He's a retired fighter pilot and has great insight into the technical aspects of UAP sightings and more recently has gotten into the psi aspect of UAP research and breakthroughs in technology like the James Webb telescope. The Lehto Files is probably my favorite UAP channel, pretty much a tie with Earthfiles (Howe) and Thinking Allowed (Mishlove). Another great up and coming podcast is Exoacademian. But anyways, eventually the UAP Society is planning to have kits for sale to those interested who want to set up their own sensors in their backyards to collect UAP data.

Thanks for the info mvwinsor. Welcome to the forum.

That sounds very interesting and I'll check out those sites. I listen to Linda M-H but she's not really very discerning in what she reports and seems to me to be a bit too accepting of what she's told. But then she has an audience to satisfy.

The Thinking Allowed channel has some interesting content, but is generally a bit too 'New Agey' for me. I haven't come across Exoacademian yet.

I'd be interested in what the UAP Society come up with in their kits. I wonder what aspects of the phenomenon the sensors will detect and how sensitive they will be? But setting these things up in back yards all over the place decades ago is just what Ray Stanford was hoping for I believe with his Project Starlight. Now we have the internet reporting would be swift and thorough.

Last edited:
I've been thinking this stuff for a while now. There is a phenomena here definitely - I have now 3 times photoed it.
However I live in apartment building, and so far my requests to put equipment on the roof have been denied...

What this "observing node" should have, is not a small feat:
- fisheye lens looking up, or two (IR+visible)
- fully gimballed little telescope like Starquest MC102 with camera (preferably multiple with IR, UV)
- 3d magnetometers (those are cheap, although madar.site is horrible in terms of data sciences)
- perhaps also gimballed radio-freq antennas
- little AI CPU, perhaps NVidia Jetson Nano could do it. It would automatically follow stuff the fisheye sees.

And what makes it worse, it should be placed under plexiglass here in the north.

So yep, its at least 5k investment. In reality probably 10k.

Any takers?

I've been thinking this stuff for a while now. There is a phenomena here definitely - I have now 3 times photoed it.
However I live in apartment building, and so far my requests to put equipment on the roof have been denied...

What this "observing node" should have, is not a small feat:
- fisheye lens looking up, or two (IR+visible)
- fully gimballed little telescope like Starquest MC102 with camera (preferably multiple with IR, UV)
- 3d magnetometers (those are cheap, although madar.site is horrible in terms of data sciences)
- perhaps also gimballed radio-freq antennas
- little AI CPU, perhaps NVidia Jetson Nano could do it. It would automatically follow stuff the fisheye sees.

And what makes it worse, it should be placed under plexiglass here in the north.

So yep, its at least 5k investment. In reality probably 10k.

Any takers?

Yes, that's very thorough. I suspect wide-band, omni-directional radio antennas would be good enough to start with. Not thought of gimballed antennas before, but might be useful for pinpointing a source of microwaves if there is a reference point to aim it at first.
All your other suggestions seem fine, but not for your average Joe - who might be happy with a basic magnetometer to start with. Or whatever the UAP Society kits can detect.

Indeed - I'm not calling for everyone to have such a kit - but few of us should, and the effort shold be coordinated. We should have few sites that are on-the-top!

For the public, I'm still thinking if we could have a fish eye you could put on your roof? Like Raspberry Pi +cam etc.

Well no - and who cares. The quesion is: is there a set of big old sat dishes, and would there be a scientific point to use them for something interesting?

G, you certainly raised my eyebrow, how about we find out how many these are out there?

No idea - its a tough one indeed. But I imagine there are thousands of big dish out there. When I was a kid we had a 2.4m dish for sat tv..

There wont be any quick kit, it'll make years to finalize., but the idea is brilliant! I'm thinking using hobbyist for radio astronomy and SETI in a meaningful way.

Back