• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

UFO Books

lost

Paranormal Novice
Hi Everyone I have been listening to the paracast for a year now and really like and have recommended the show.

I am thinking that those on this forum may be able to help me by recommending good books on UFOs either fiction or non-fiction

I have a desire to find out more but their is so much out their (deeper meaning in that sentence)::)

Thank you for your help on this in advance

lost:cool:

Richard Dolan's book is a good place to start if you want to learn some of the historical background of the UFO mystery. Dolan is often criticized for being a little too quick to believe some of the more way-out conspiracy or extraterrestrial explanations, so read it with a somewhat critical eye. But it's the best historical overview.

Generally speaking, do not believe anyone who says they have THE answer. In particular, Government collusion and extraterrestrial visitation are frequently put forward as explanations. Anyone who seems to be presenting a lot of detail about "the aliens" and "their purpose" is probably not credible.

And, I think most Paracast listeners will agree with the Vallee recommendation. I suggest that you pay attention to the publication dates to his books, because Dr. Vallee's ideas evolved with time and further study.

Here's a short list from ufomystic that I wrote in 2006. It's very incomplete, but it's a start. Hope this helps. To this I would also add Grand Illusions by Greg Little, Unconventional Flying Objects by Paul Hill, Operation Trojan Horse by John Keel and Visionaries, Mystics, and Contactees by Salvador Freixedo.

The New Inquisition
by Robert Anton Wilson - 1987
A scathing rebuke of the culture of scientism, where scientists have become the unquestioned priests of reality. The first of his books that I read, which inspired me to read almost all of his others. An absolutely seminal thinker for the late 20th, and early 21st centuries.

The Rebirth of Pan
by Jim Brandon - 1983
An incredibly original and insightful book that argues that the Earth itself gives birth to anomalies, UFOs, cryptoids, and ancient earthworks perhaps in some sort of non-temporal reaction to our present culture of rampant rationalism, if we choose to notice.

Cyberbiological Studies of the Imaginal Component in the UFO Contact Experience
- Edited by Dennis Stillings - 1989
One of the longest book titles in Ufology. Not many remember Dennis Stillings, who apparently moved to Hawaii and got out of the anomalies biz many years ago, but while he was in it, collected such essays as “UFOs: Ultraterrestrial Agents Of Cultural Deconstruction”, “Ufology Considered As An Evolving System Of Paranoia” and “What Did Carl Jung Believe About Flying Saucers?” into this vitally important and now hard-to-find volume.

Messengers of Deception
by Jacques Vallee - 1979
Vallee is one of the two or three greatest influences on people of my generation who are interested in UFOs and not stuck in the nuts-and-bolts school of the terminally Aristotelan. In this book, Vallee warned that UFO cults such as “The Two” (who later became Heaven’s Gate) were quietly becoming the new religions of the late 20th century and predicted that left unchecked, could become dangerous agents for social and political change. I wonder if the Aum Shin Rikyo people (Japanese cult that sarin-gassed the subways in Tokyo) had any space brother philosphies?

Angels and Aliens
by Keith Thompson - 1991
In this little-remembered book, Thompson examined Ufology and UFO history as an evolving system of myth, with its own gods, creation stories, Fall from Grace, heroes and villians, etc. He was NOT calling the field a “myth,” but looking at it as a vitally human endeavour which closely followed the development of any culture’s stories about themselves, their origins and their raison d’etre.

The Conscious Universe
by Dean Radin - 1997
I interviewed Dr. Radin after reading his book. He sat with me for almost 6 hours, patiently explaining his theories and views on time, causality, and the human mind’s influence on the physical world until he was sure I understood. When we were done, I could never look at “reality” in the same way again. Time is an artificial construction. The observer and the observed are one entity. Everything that has ever existed, is here now, and will ever exist are right here, right now-there is no difference. It’s one thing to say these things as new-age catchphrases, or excuses to throw at skeptics, but another to actually understand them on a level that goes beyond the simple concept. Radin did this for me with his book and his professor-like talk. You just can’t pay for this kind of education, but The Conscious Universe is a start. Stop saying “Well, what about quantum physics?” without really knowing what it represents and get this book.

Flying Saucer Occupants
by Coral Lorenzen - 1966
An exhaustive catalogue of occupant cases that were being ignored by “serious” Ufologists at the time. Lorenzen and her husband Jim (founders of the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization) were trailblazers. It contained the first public account of the Antonio Villas-Boas story- the man who had sex with a beautiful female alien with white hair (on her head anyway) and snow-white skin. Where do I begin with the archetypal dissection of this one? It also examined occupant stories from South America which were (and still are) very different from the rest of the world.

Saucers of the Illuminati by Jim Keith - 1999
Take all conspiracy theories about UFOs, the government, secret societies and black-budget operations and blend well. I agreed with just about everything Keith said and wished I’d written it.

Breakthrough by Whitley Strieber - 1995
After Communion and Transformation, Strieber tied it all together in this moving account of his interaction with beings that he said are here to change us on a more fundamental level than we are capable of understanding just yet. I found currents of occult and alchemical thinking in the text, and I’m pretty sure that the author was aware of this component to his story. He deliberately mentioned the Russian philosopher and mystic G.I. Gurdjieff in the text and the influence of his thinking. Since I’m fairly convinced that something extra-human has been communicating with us for thousands of years, this was a refreshing take on the abduction phenomenon that has yet to sink into popular consciousness.

Thank you for the replies so far. Some really interesting books following progressive philosophies on UFO's. I will be purchasing asap

Also I am wondering what do you think about the new book by stan Romanek - messages

Or is this a stay well clear?

Thank you for the replies so far. Some really interesting books following progressive philosophies on UFO's. I will be purchasing asap

Also I am wondering what do you think about the new book by stan Romanek - messages

Or is this a stay well clear?
My response is that putting that book on the other side of the planet would make it too close. :)

The Edge of Reality. by Dr. Josef Allen Hynek and Jacques F. Vallée, Ph.D.

This is the first, serious book on the subject., that I can remember reading.

<cite>
Invisible Residents
by Ivan T. Sanderson
(summary from Amazon.com)

</cite>A unique contribution to the study of the UFOs, originally published over 30 years ago, this updated edition includes new photographs and illustrations, and an extensive Foreword by David Hatcher Childress discussing more recent Underwater UFOs--now called USOs--Unidentified Submersible Objects. In the last 30 years, new sightings have occurred and new information on old sightings has come forth through the Freedom of Information Acts in the USA, Britain and Australia. These curious incidents during official military maneuvers raise many questions:

* do the British and Americans have underwater military bases capable of launching UFOs?

* could the ultimate docking stations for some of the UFOs seen constantly around the world be deep in our oceans?

* could these still-operational underwater docking bases have been built in our distant past by extraterrestrials?

Sanderson chronicles hundreds of curious unidentified underwater object incidents, many which emerge from the water to fly through the air, and draws some startling conclusions.

Lo! Wild Talents, New Lands, and Book of the Damned by Charles Fort (When I bought these books they where the hardest damned books to find... sigh at least I have the original Lo! ) is recently published in a complete works called:

"The Book of The Damned"

Here are the four books that invented our understanding of the paranormal. These are cult hero Charles Fort’s defining records of bizarre, haunting, strange, and inexplicable “facts” for which science cannot account: Frogs falling from the skies. Mysterious airships in an age before flight. Monsters. Poltergeists. Floating islands. Teleportation (a term Fort invented).

Anders' suggestions are great too. So many books...

Was just looking at my bookshelf. Add The Humanoids, a collection of entity sightings and reports, many culled from the pages of the old Flying Saucer Review, published in 1969. It was edited by respected researcher Charles Bowen.

<cite>
Invisible Residents
by Ivan T. Sanderson

Lo! Wild Talents, New Lands, and Book of the Damned by Charles Fort (When I bought these books they where the hardest damned books to find... sigh at least I have the original Lo! ) is recently published in a complete works called:

"The Book of The Damned"

I stumbled upon these two books back when I was in high school. The Book of the Damned made a huge impression on me. Much later I got a copy of the complete works of Charles Fort, which of course includes all those books. It's tricky reading at times, as Fort uses very flowery English, but it's one of those books I wouldn't be without.

Oh, and a +1 for Eraser Head!

I'm going to throw a curve ball and add 'The Gods of Eden" by William Bramley to the list. Regardless as to whether you accept his conclusions, it's a fascinating book.

Angels and Aliens had a profound impact on me. Great recommendation. and thanks to all for their posts. I'm adding lots of these to my Swaptree and Amazon lists.

Back