• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Two Metallic Craft Visit a Northern Ontario Ice Rink Pt. 2

Not twilight? It's been months since I first read Burnt's accounts of this experience so I've probably forgotten some details. I had the impression that the experience took place late in the afternoon on the cusp of evening, when no other skaters were left on the rink except Burnt and two others. I grew up in the North and was outside a great deal in winter as well as summer, and I recall evening falling very quickly in the north in winter. Re having been 'predisposed' to see or imagine seeing a flying saucer, it seems that both you and Burnt consider the odds of imagining one rather than actually seeing one to be higher than I do. I did take seriously Burnt's statement that she first turned and saw the thing after seeing a shocked expression on the babysitter's face and following the direction in which she was looking (so I gather that the babysitter also saw the object). And I gather that Burnt's friend did as well since they subsequently began searching for ufos together and both, as I recall, investigated the garage roof the following summer looking for signs of the ufo's proximity, also noticing the burnt branches of the nearby tree. I also think that what Burnt reports hearing from a nearby house (a commotion and a call for binoculars) suggests that others nearby also saw the ufo. I'll read your post again to see where I've missed what you wrote and then step back from this discussion. It really should be left to you and Burnt to work out whether she believes she was the only witness to the sighting and whether it actually was a sighting. I think it was a sighting of an actual anomalous pair of ufos, witnessed by others as well as Burnt, and leaving traces on the garage roof and the adjacent tree, in addition to leaving the area at speeds of which terrestrial aircraft are still not capable.

Last edited:
I don't see the odds of 'imagining a saucer' increasing for myself, but i do believe that we may interpret distant objects, natural phenomena etc. as the proverbial UFO when we are predisposed to seeing such things. Much like some of the crap online where everyone sees UFO's in specks of dust floating behind the space station. Even of more concern i think are those who may be predisposed to believe in abductions as a reality and consequently, the development or evolution over time of the MILAB as a central personal experience that is then passed on to the next generation is disconcerting. I think that those things unfold because of our predispositions as opposed to curious factual reality. That being said, i find it difficult to apply this "predisposition effect" in my own case, simply because what i saw was an actual pair of saucers, flying silently, in ways that i would not see again until many, many years later in great Sci-Fi movies with really proficient special effects using CGI.

I also want to be clear: I appreciate the interrogation S.R.L., (but not too sure about the homework assignment), as i've never had anyone ask more thought provoking questions. Please keep in mind we're dealing with a memory that is now 3.5 decades old. I think that there may be some inconsistencies and I think you've pointed out that size estimations and scale and proximity to myself on the rink may not be as accurate as i'm estimating & remembering. At the same time, Constance, you are such a wonderful supporter of the UFO witness, even despite my own incredulity and doubt over so many aspects of paranormal phenomenon, which i know has perturbed you in the past. And here we are, being doubtful over what i saw and yet here you are, Constance, being supportive of my own witnessing. Thanks. I appreciate greatly your own conviction in this area as you do work hard to find those examples that encourage people to think more clearly and critically about the possibilities of what's happening in the skies.

I remain critical and open minded, and would still like to hear other possibilities of what it was i saw.

In (Pt.1) you stated:” It was an entirely spectacular event with multiple witnesses. The images have not entirely left my brain yet, with many details and sequences still easily accessible from that night.”

Witnesses: yourself, (9yrs. old) and the babysitter’s daughter (high school).

Third person, frustrated friend leaves, walks 175’feet across the field, and into the babysitter’s home, leaving the two witnesses.

Crossing the field to the house shouldn’t have taken anytime at all, perhaps a minute or so.

You are predisposed to a saucer sighting, as you were most likely very impressionable.

“At one point in time she stands her foot on the puck and i'm whacking at it like what's going on - let's play i say. When i look at her she has got her neck craned upwards and when i look at what she sees I know why. Two circular, metallic saucer shaped crafts with multi coloured lights on the perimeter of the ships are descending towards us.”

The saucers are now directly overhead and there is no way you could have known in what direction the saucers approach was from, although you were able to view their departure paths.

But now you have changed your account in (Pt.2) to: “ I think i described that at the moment i looked up at the babysitter's face and looked in the direction that she was looking i saw two craft approaching from the NNE with one craft further behind and higher up in the air while the other one was moving towards us and descending”

In changing your account, you have determined that the saucer(s) approach was from the NNE, in suggesting that both saucers arrived from the NNE, and then departed in a northerly direction. From what you have described earlier, and in measured response I say, how can you conceivably know this?

“I remember the people in the babysitter's house who had their dining room window open a bit, call out, "hey look at that, get the binoculars."

Once again, your sketch depicts two individuals in the babysitter’s home looking thru the window, calling out “get the binoculars.” However, you claim there was no one at the window, although the window was open in sub-freezing temperatures. By your own description the saucer(s) were at an altitude of 70’feet, and I absolutely know as fact by your own description, (and of Google Earth), that it was less than 65’feet away from the babysitter’s back window. Again, why would anyone, unless legally blind, need binoculars in order to view a craft that is over 25’feet in diameter that close?

I am a little surprised that you haven’t taken my lead in going to Google Earth to see what I have been attempting to point out.

So the quote below is not entirely accurate, as this narrative becomes fuzzier with additional contradictions and inconsistencies.

“ It was an entirely spectacular event with multiple witnesses. The images have not entirely left my brain yet, with many details and sequences still easily accessible from that night.”

I truly have enjoyed spending several hours on this already, traveling around your block twice via Google Street View, and Google Earth, taking measurements whilst swooping over your neighbor’s homes, and your luscious green field. I am intimately familiar with the babysitter’s home located at 79 Indiana Drive and have visited your home, located around the corner on Illinois Avenue. I will go as far as to say that I can picture within my mind, in the moments which you have describe, as almost being there. And that’s why I believe that this event could never have physically taken place, in the way that you have continued to present it as. If your desire is some type of closure or conformation, suggested is the location of the babysitter’s daughter, who once upon a time had the tendency to torment you.

I am pleased that you are not upset, as you shouldn’t be, when someone takes the time in attempting to help someone else understand what they may, or may not have experienced.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok SRL, i'm going to go over each a piece at a time, but you are still hearing that this is a memory from 3.5 decades ago and so yes there will be some inaccuracies in measurements and distances. but you're not hearing the basic core strain of the story which is still very embedded in terms of the main actions, approach, departure, sounds, feelings and even the final evidentiary pieces that showed up that summer.

so i'm curious to know at the outset before i dive in - do you think that it didn't happen at all because some of these dimensions to not conform to what you think could be considered reality, or do you feel that my memory is wonky and inaccurate, or do you feel that there's a third option. And i ask this because i think that there's an interesting secondary point to investigate which is how UFO witnesses are responded to by the general public - not that i'm saddling you with the title of the general public but i do see some interesting comparisons here.

So take my physical dimensions and memories of the size of the craft, or how close i remember it to be, out of the picture, and then, is the narrative still compelling or not? Just curious.

In (Pt.1) you stated:” It was an entirely spectacular event with multiple witnesses. The images have not entirely left my brain yet, with many details and sequences still easily accessible from that night.”

Witnesses: yourself, (9yrs. old) and the babysitter’s daughter (high school).

Third person, frustrated friend leaves, walks 175’feet across the field, and into the babysitter’s home, leaving the two witnesses.

Crossing the field to the house shouldn’t have taken anytime at all, perhaps a minute or so.

You are predisposed to a saucer sighting, as you were most likely very impressionable.

“At one point in time she stands her foot on the puck and i'm whacking at it like what's going on - let's play i say. When i look at her she has got her neck craned upwards and when i look at what she sees I know why. Two circular, metallic saucer shaped crafts with multi coloured lights on the perimeter of the ships are descending towards us.”

The saucers are now directly overhead and there is no way you could have known in what direction the saucers approach was from, although you were able to view their departure paths.

But now you have changed your account in (Pt.2) to: “ I think i described that at the moment i looked up at the babysitter's face and looked in the direction that she was looking i saw two craft approaching from the NNE with one craft further behind and higher up in the air while the other one was moving towards us and descending”

In changing your account, you have determined that the saucer(s) approach was from the NNE, in suggesting that both saucers arrived from the NNE, and then departed in a northerly direction. From what you have described earlier, and in measured response I say, how can you conceivably know this?

“I remember the people in the babysitter's house who had their dining room window open a bit, call out, "hey look at that, get the binoculars."

Once again, your sketch depicts two individuals in the babysitter’s home looking thru the window, calling out “get the binoculars.” However, you claim there was no one at the window, although the window was open in sub-freezing temperatures. By your own description the saucer(s) were at an altitude of 70’feet, and I absolutely know as fact by your own description, (and of Google Earth), that it was less than 65’feet away from the babysitter’s back window. Again, why would anyone, unless legally blind, need binoculars in order to view a craft that is over 25’feet in diameter that close?

I am a little surprised that you haven’t taken my lead in going to Google Earth to see what I have been attempting to point out.

So the quote below is not entirely accurate, as this narrative becomes fuzzier with additional contradictions and inconsistencies.

“ It was an entirely spectacular event with multiple witnesses. The images have not entirely left my brain yet, with many details and sequences still easily accessible from that night.”

I truly have enjoyed spending several hours on this already, traveling around your block twice via Google Street View, and Google Earth, taking measurements whilst swooping over your neighbor’s homes, and your luscious green field. I am intimately familiar with the babysitter’s home located at 79 Indiana Drive and have visited your home, located around the corner on Illinois Avenue. I will go as far as to say that I can picture within my mind, in the moments which you have describe, as almost being there. And that’s why I believe that this event could never have physically taken place, in the way that you have continued to present it as. If your desire is some type of closure or conformation, suggested is the location of the babysitter’s daughter, who once upon a time had the tendency to torment you.

I am pleased that you are not upset, as you shouldn’t be, when someone takes the time in attempting to help someone else understand what they may, or may not have experienced.

Ok, here's the thing, as Dave Biedny would often say. You are selecting these individual quotes and using these as a measure up against each other, when really, we're just scraping aspects of the event, getting little pieces here and there. To capture it in its fullest i would need to write out a much more detailed and lengthy remembering. What you may see as contradictions, are for me just the narrative extending more to the fullness of what happened. From the time I look at the babysitter to see what she is seeing i am seeing two circular craft descending. They descend together at the same rate, one closer to us than the other as seen in the varying sizes of the two craft. I think from the moment that they were first seen i think i would describe them as the size of a quarter, if you were to hold a quarter at arm's length and look up in the sky with it. They continue to descend synchronously and then suddenly one ship stops and hovers further away from us. It's maybe the size of a two to three inch diameter while the other one continues to descend towards us getting bigger and bigger, silent, with lights. The other one remains in the back hovering.

Now one is descending towards us, and stops at what i estimated to be one and half to two utility pole heights above us. As it was descending, like the binoculars comment, i also distinctly remember saying to myself as it was lowering, and i was transfixed, "ok this is it. they're going to take us up. it's going to happen." Now how i come up with that thought can only be from my time spent watching In Search Of and reading the various sci fi and ufo books from my grade school library. But i wanted to note that thought, as i don't think i captured that thought above in any of the other descriptions.

Because when i say that i still remember the details of the event, i remember the fragments that i've got. i don't think it would be accurate to say that i have a full and complete continuous set of memories from start to finish. for example, when i think about seeing the craft, i remember very much the formations that they took, the various movements and paths through the air, from descending to hovering, to cruising along the back line of houses, to hovering above the tree and garage, while the other one stayed up higher and at one point must have moved along with it to the back of the field as I remember the two of them moving towards each other closer the two flying synchronously towards the corner store. But i can't complete remember those actions from the tops of the field until they went to the corner store, and then hung there above the highway for quite some time and then whoosh, straight up to the sky. I don't remember what happened as i ran from the ice rink to my home, if i went through the babysitter's backyard and down the street or through the path that lead from the south end of the field to my street illinois. i just remember specifically running onto my lawn and then into the front door exclaiming at my mom, then my dad comes in and i retell the entire story from start to finish to them. As a 35 year old memory it's an assemblage of fragments, including snatches from the game itself, especially my friend getting all huffy and heading into the house. how long did i play with the babysitter, it wasn't long before she put her foot on the puck? didn't we play with an orange ball, or did we have a puck that night? I distinctly remember her boot flat on a puck and stepping on it firmly as i'm whacking away with it with my stick wondering what's going on, and then i look up...

So for me the pathway is clear - they came from the NNE and then returned that way and then shifted to a NNW westerly direction towards the corner store and then they went up and continued in that NNW then just straight up as two tiny points of light and then nothing. I ran. I remember those pieces. I've not changed the storyline. It's just that the parts i've told are not all of the continuous details that you may be looking for, or for mirrored details as with the sketch. As pointed out previously, the sketch is only an impression of events and in no way accurately portrays flight path, angle, size and certainly not perspective.

As for the size of the object and the binocular comment. I don't know what to tell you except that it's not that uncommon in a hot house heated by a fireplace or wood stove to open up the window and let some cold air in, especially after the adults have been smoking for a while - those to me are all reasonable reasons for why the window may have been open (i do have this specific memory of the window being open though if i really try to recall it as the memory sees it - the window to the right of the door is open in my mind. in my mind i still see people there - a man, a woman, and someone else in the background. Did i look at the window at some point, after the ships left? I'm not sure. I just have that image of the people in the window, hearing them at various points, and the window is partially open as i can see the vertical line shifted to the right of the frame. Why do they need binoculars? Well, perhaps in fact the ship we are seeing is not the ship that they are seeing, perhaps they are looking at the ship further back and higher up? I don't know as i did not see what they saw, but that's the only thing i could think of to help explain that inconsistency. The other thing that we know about sightings though is that no two witnesses may be in complete agreement with what is seen. Why this is i could not say. i just do know that seeing them (UFO's) is a strange experience and that in some cases it has had a strange effect or impact on people. i don't think i've had any strange impact on my person, outside of a healthy addiction to UFO lore and yapping about it on the forum like other guys in their mid-forties who saw something strange when they were younger that hasn't left them yet.

I think though, that there are some instructive points here: memories that are old are problematic - i know i don't have the full details of the event - certainly not 100%, there are even sequences missing, like running home, but the memories i have are the ones that i'm providing here and they are what they are. So from the best of what i recall that's what happened. The ufo witness has only got the details that they've got and i've got confirmation of little except a weird pattern on the roof of a garage and a tree that looked burnt. When estimating the size of the craft i'm also using the roof radial chunk as i remember it, which when one thinks about radiant heat, it is more than likely the craft is actually smaller than what i estimated from the burn pattern size on the shingles as it was up much higher and perhaps the affected area was much bigger than the size of the ship itself. Now that i think about it this is evident in the burning of the tree as the ship was just above the tree or near it's top and near it and above part of the garage. It must have radiated out to the tree - perhaps my estimation of 25' is not accurate - maybe 20' or less. Either way, if people called for binoculars, which they did, they were obviously not seeing what we sere seeing above us. There may have been obstruction in fact blocking their viewing this ship. But what i do know is that i don't have it all present in my mind, just these pieces.

i'm open to continue, if you feel there is more to squeeze out of it. i think i already mentioned above somewhere that the thoughts in my mind as the ship that was close to us hovered over the tree and garage, were that i was thinking there was some kind of inspection of the inhabitants of the people in that house. But that was just another random thought and probably offered up because i had an association with that house already. i remember asking B.W. if he had seen it that night as sometimes he stayed over in the bedroom that we were climbing into, but i believe he said that he wasn't there that night, i think.

@S.R.L.

btw my apologies for the delay on this response, but it's the end of the school year and so marking and end of year activities etc. is consuming time, as is the World Cup (haven't missed a game) and then i still have to be a participant in family life so i've been offline for a bit but wanted to make this a priority upon return, and so i have. thanks for your taking interest in the case and plumbing the depths of it. i've enjoyed it as it's causing me to scrape at the edges of this memory and the images even more. almost makes me want to do hypnosis to see if i could conjure up more accurate images from the memory cells, but i'd be afraid to ruin the accuracy and reality of what i have in these fragments.

"My uncle's going to be pissed when he sees that. He just re-did those shingles last summer!" As I looked out across the yard I saw that the top fifth of the tree, the half closest to the garage where the UFO had hovered above it, was completely singed and blackened. The entire top of the tree was also burnt

As I looked out across the yard I saw that the top fifth of the tree, the half closest to the garage where the UFO had hovered above it, was completely singed and blackened. The entire top of the tree was also burnt. No leaves grew on that portion. That tree is no longer there, though other poplars from that time period to the left of this house street side are still alive - thought they could be much younger offshoots, I suppose.

The roof of the garage was another story. In a radial arc about fifteen feet long at its deepest penetration of the roof. including the whole far right corner of the garage's roof, the one closest to us in the photo, all the shingles had been burned and upturned. It was plain to see, this entire patch of shingles that occupied almost a full third of that side of the roof's slope that had been damaged. In my mind i remember that absolute feeling of confirmation that set in as i saw the curved outline of the saucer burned into the roof. We had in fact seen something technological that night and it left a mark. It had left trace evidence here on the roof, and in the burned tree. That was quite a feeling, seeing that curved shape.
A lightening strike, far hotter than the surface of the sun, might cause shingle/tree heat burn damage. I'm not sure how the patterns of damage can normally be, but we know there is an amazing amount of variety and types of damage it can do.

Burnt State replied in another thread about the lightening question...
Quoting: "That's good, I've never considered that as a possibility; where, perhaps the lightening may have arced and hit a portion of the tree and then part of the garage, or even radiated the area having struck the ground?. But I think it's a stretch, that such a perfect radius would be evident on the garage, and that the tree was burned only on the very top part of the tree, with no splintering of this thinner trunk compared to the rest of it. I've seen a lot of lightening strikes to trees and this definitely just looked burned, whereas the rest of the tree was growing still. But hey, it's a possibility.

Of course, I have no proof of what I saw, no photos. It is something that is simply alive now only in the mind of the witness, and the other witnesses who saw whatever it was they saw." [End Quote]

It's extremely hard "to prove" almost any UFO sighting; I think you know looking at my other posts in your Part 1 thread that I ABSOLUTELY believe you saw what you saw as you recall it. That memory is "true to you", whether the UFO's were controlled by Humans, your Collective Unconscious Jungian Manifestation, Off-Planet or On-Planet "non-human" Intelligence, etc. Your mind has showed you what it has. A mystery seemingly meant for you considering your UFO interests at that time.

You might be able to track down the living witnesses in that house or the babysitter. Please realize that people can die before you might find them, so I wouldn't wait any longer if this happened to me. What about your B.W. friend too??? Hey, he could ask his Uncle, if still alive, what the damage was? Or, more about the sighting too. Surely, it was something talked about, or the Uncle or his wife remembered about the damage at least.

What year was this? 1980 or ???

Thanks! :)

Back