• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Tunguska—the Fire in the Sky

Up until recently, I had never heard anything on the Tunguska explosion. I have been looking in to it recently and am very intrigued by it. I wish there was more interest from mainstream science so that we could get an answer that fits the occurence, or if it is officially an unknown cause.

turblom79 said:
Up until recently, I had never heard anything on the Tunguska explosion. I have been looking in to it recently and am very intrigued by it. I wish there was more interest from mainstream science so that we could get an answer that fits the occurence, or if it is officially an unknown cause.

Well the mainstream scientists tend to think it was a comet. There's been a lot of shows on it over the years. Carl Sagan even dealt with it in Cosmos if I remember correctly.

One of the problems with the comet theory is that comets come down at an angle, not straight down. For years many thought that what hit would have had to come straight down and explode in the air (there was no crater). A test was done that showed how this doesn't have to be the case. Similar tree fall was duplicated in an experiment with something coming in at an angle. Actual trees weren't used but a small scale model. Seeing that basically put the baby to bed for me. Since it was explained to my satisfaction, I haven't much researched it.

Here's some info. on the Tunguska explosions including some of the theories. The Tesla theory isn't dealt with there however.
Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LeClair,

I agree with you about the explanation shown in the NOVA documentary regarding an airburst (comet nucleus or meteor) causing the event. That also put the Tunguska event to rest for me. No atomic explosions, no exploding alien craft and no Tesla link. I always get a chuckle out of people who bring Tesla up when dealing with this subject. Yes, he was an eccentric individual whose inventions we encounter on a daily basis, but, his relation to the Tunguska explosion is purely by his being alive during the event, much the same as hundreds of millions of other people.

klatuu_berada_nicto said:
LeClair,

I agree with you about the explanation shown in the NOVA documentary regarding an airburst (comet nucleus or meteor) causing the event. That also put the Tunguska event to rest for me. No atomic explosions, no exploding alien craft and no Tesla link. I always get a chuckle out of people who bring Tesla up when dealing with this subject. Yes, he was an eccentric individual whose inventions we encounter on a daily basis, but, his relation to the Tunguska explosion is purely by his being alive during the event, much the same as hundreds of millions of other people.

Ah, yes, that's it, the NOVA special. Thanks for mentioning it. I didn't recall that it was NOVA.

I agree with you on Tesla. Some say he was working on some sort of "death ray" (if I remember correctly about what it's called). It is an interesting theory put forth however. I appreciate people thinking outside the box. I had never thought of that theory on my own.

I think there was a high rate of cancers around that area, and people had features of radiation sickness. For all intents and purposes I think it was some sort of nuclear device.

You know, I posted a really cool "Fox Mulder" response about Tunguska on this thread, but it's gone now.

I think I accidentally banned myself, with these moderator tools :p :p :p

Oh well. It wasn't that fascinating of a post.

Sorry. Please go on without me ;***(

Tom Levine said:
You know, I posted a really cool "Fox Mulder" response about Tunguska on this thread, but it's gone now.

I think I accidentally banned myself, with these moderator tools :p :p :p

Oh well. It wasn't that fascinating of a post.

Sorry. Please go on without me ;***(

Try posting it again. I'm curious.

Believe it or not, I've never watched more than part of one or two episodes of X-Files. I saw the movie though.

Many say we are about due for another Tunguska-like impact. If I remember correctly, the Earth has a minor impact around every 100-200 years. It's more likely to hit water than land. Tsunamis from hell I imagine.

Try posting it again. I'm curious.

By the way, it's still not too late to go back and watch the series. Rumor is that X-Files 2 is coming. It's not like the DISCO era...You don't have to pretend to hate it, even though you know that deep down, you can't help but to love it!

Personally, I miss cigarette man.

Back