• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Truly Spooky Stuff - Beware!

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
The Officially Funny Thread got me going on this. :( Not sure where to put it - but have to admit that this kind of stuff is the basis of all our interest in the mysterious and 'paranormal'.

Some of this is likely totally explainable. It's just the way it is told. And Seriously Strange is telling some very good stories. 'Shiver.......

Terrifying Unsolved Mysteries | SERIOUSLY STRANGE

And for added creepiness, a comment regales us with this tidbit: "Speaking of the phantom whistler, something similar happened to me 5 years ago. It didn't happen repeatedly. I had my windows closed since it was winter and the fog was coming inside my room. My room is like 30-35 feet above the ground and I heard someone knocking on my windows at 12 AM. I was frozen right there. I didn't open the windows to see. The knocking continued for like 5 minutes and then it stopped. It only happened once but it was clearly someone knocking. Thankfully it never happened again. "

Here is some (unhelpful) elaboration on the Elisa Lam situation - very, very strange. Talk about odd.

P.S. This is not in the least 'funny' as in ha-ha-funny. This is 'funny' as in seriously spooky, strange. :confused:

True Scary Story: Death of Elisa Lam

TEXT: "True scary story about the odd death of Elisa Lam. One of the scariest and most mysterious cases I've ever heard of..."

I was typing a part of my life story this morning and something unplugged my laptop and I heard a voice say Not until I get what I want so I Told the ghost to face me as I turned my computer back on and played some attilla while watching some cumshot compilations and all seemed fine afterwards...lol... no for real though.

Well, seems it got what it wanted then.:rolleyes:

Here is some (unhelpful) elaboration on the Elisa Lam situation - very, very strange. :confused:

That's just a sad story. Did you watch the movie "Dark Water"? I think she might have been "reenacting" the movie or rather the (I think) japanese original, or maybe she was obsessed with the novel that was the basis of the movie versions. Together with schizophrenia, which often surfaces in young people (around 15 to 30), this might have led to delusions which could explain her strange behaviour.

Some of this is likely totally explainable. It's just the way it is told. And Seriously Strange is telling some very good stories. 'Shiver.......

Unfortunately, the Hinterkaifeck story is true. I didn't know about a maid leaving because she thought the farm was haunted, though and if it's true, it has probably nothing to do with the murders . The murderer was obviously human, maybe a vagrant, someone who had been in the "great war" and remained homeless afterwards. There were signs that someone had been living on the farm, sleeping in the hay and breaking padlocks for days before the murders. He escaped unnoticed and the case was never solved. A WW II soldier is said to have boasted of killing the family, but that was never substantiated.

Last edited:
That's just a sad story. Did you watch the movie "Dark Water"? I think she might have been "reenacting" the movie or rather the (I think) Japanese original, or maybe she was obsessed with the novel that was the basis of the movie versions. Together with schizophrenia, which often surfaces in young people (around 15 to 30), this might have led to delusions which could explain her strange behaviour.

Outstanding, Polterwurst! That is one very good explanation. Apparently she was bi-polar. That much we know and it is suggested she was having a hallucination. However, obsessed - acting out some fictional story - makes a whole lot of sense. Poor thing.

The TB test kit - 'Lam Elisa' - is pretty strange. Any ideas for that coincidence? :confused:

And why wasn't the elevator door closing?

P.S. Never watched the film 'Dark Water'. I stay well and good away from creepy stuff like that. Which makes my posting this very out-of-the-ordinary. How people can fill their heads with this stuff I don't understand. :(

Oof. Sorry, I didn't watch the video prior to posting. Did it just now. I hadn't even heard abot the TB test kit. That has to be the spookiest coincidence I've ever heard of.

About the elevator doors, I've no idea. If they had stayed open to the end of the video, I'd just call it a malfunction. And if I didn't know this is actual footage of the poor girl, I would probably say " well, it's got to be some faked creep-out video" and wait for the jumpscare at the end.
Well, I guess, truth can indeed be stranger than fiction.

P.S. Never watched the film 'Dark Water'. I stay well and good away from creepy stuff like that. Which makes my posting this very out-of-the-ordinary. How people can fill their heads with this stuff I don't understand. :(

I admit that I did watch these kinds of movies until years ago, when I could still laugh it off because it was obvious that there is no such thing as spirits and ghosts.

Nowadays ... not so much.

Last edited:
There is also a lot of conspiracy theories out there about this case, I have found out - one being that it's actually a hoax. :rolleyes: Will we never be rid of such speculations? One fact - and I actually don't know if it's a fact because I can't really make out the time stamp numbers - is that the time stamp apparently 'loses' about 54 seconds. It's a creepy story in itself, and the stuff generated around it, about it, is also creepy.

The police have ruled it an accident, but police also sometimes hold back information (in order to keep perpetrators in the dark about what the police really know). No one can really know what the police know about this case.

Anyway, wish it would get solved. Too strange.

Some mysteries are not meant to be solved” — Slogan that appears on Dark Water movie posters! :eek: Can it get any more freaky?

I have stayed with this because I don't like the feeling of being bested by something 'spooky'. ;) For example, the anecdote I quoted in a previous post about 'someone knocking' on a window at midnight - besides possibly (very likely) being a joke and untrue - if it is a real experience, can be explained in endless ways: branch caught against the window, just one.

I am not in the least recommending the various YouTube videos below but they have been helpful, especially the one with the police officer and the one that says it's a hoax - not that I think it's a hoax, just that I agree with the observations that she seems to be acting, though I would go further and say 'playing'. The look on her face in a close up is not distressed but with a slight smile. She enters the elevator - without her glasses on - and at once presses all the buttons which was what likely stalled the elevator for 2 plus minutes. When the elevator is about to move again, she enters the elevator and presses all the buttons again to (apparently) stall it again. She does appear to be talking to someone (in the hallway). Some people are identifying what she was doing as associated with a game - 'Left for Dead'. Was she a gamer?

The police officer explains why that snippet of video was released - mainly to show what she looked like - and it was likely edited before release. Nothing sinister. Listen to the policeman.

If the roof and tanks can only be accessed by keys then it has to be an employee. The police have narrowed their suspects (if we are to trust a YouTube video) to those who were an employee with keys to the roof, access to the tanks and keys to her room. Makes sense. Also, she would have had to climb the water tanks on her own steam, as well as enter the tanks that way - far too problematic for anyone, however strong, to carry her up a tank ladder and place her lifeless or inert body through the hatch. If she were on ecstasy - which some claim they think she was on from her elevator behavior - and she was playing a game, she would have done the whole thing willingly and unwittingly.

Is it possible that the gamer she was with - hotel employee - thought she would be able to get out of the tank? Was it an accident? The police are saying it was death by accident. Anyway, I have looked over this enough to feel that while this has a strong weird/strange level for sure, there is a rational explanation for it all. Has to be, even though I just learned that there is no ladder on the outside of the tanks. So it spikes weird again.

We need some gumshoe crime detective/investigative journalist to solve this, write a book about it.

Snopes - Last Updated November 17th, 2014
LINK: snopes.com: Death of Elisa Lam

TEXT: "[...] even police were stumped as to how Lam came to be in a water tank that is difficult to access. Initially, the possibility of foul play was investigated but was ruled out: 'LAPD spokesperson Officer Sara Faden said the circumstances of Lam's death are highly unusual and investigators are now trying to determine whether Lam was murdered or if "a very, very strange accident" occurred.' "

I am satisfied that there is a rational explanation, we just don't have it yet. We may never have it. It will just be one of those stories that goes on-and-on with a life of it's own.

P.S. Not one UFO aliens need be involved in. Too macabre.

Back