• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Total Relaxtion - Voices In Your Head ?

Do you hear voices, words, sounds, ... during your relaxation exercises ?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• I hear voices but that's the reason why I am in the happy home.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Gwops

Even If I am a minority of one, truth is still the truth.

Even If I am a minority of one, truth is still the truth.

I have tried to have many OBE's but never "get out" during that state. Mine are always spontaneous during the night, although, after trying to have them, my # of experiences go up even though they are spontaneous.

During that relaxation time, I have heard talking and 2 times I have heard someone SHOUT my name which brought me out of that state. On 2 occasions I have heard "the music" and if you have heard it, you know what I mean. It is like nothing my physical ears have ever heard before. It is like Angelic choirs and the most beautiful music you could imagine.

Like I said, I have not actually been able to separate from my body. In lots of books (the best to me being Astral Dynamics) the sensations and sounds are covered but the only sensations I had are that a few times, I could feel my "heart chakra" area in my chest "vibrate" or feel buzzy. I have strange feelings of my perception being changed, even though my eyes are closed..sort of like you can feel the spin of the Earth if that makes sense. You feel like you are moving somehow or spinning. Once I recall looking at the ceiling and the ceiling fan then all of a sudden I opened my eyes and was looking at the ceiling and ceiling fan, realizing that I had my eyes closed when I was veiwing it right before. That one was such a weird thing that one would have to experience it to believe it (as with most of these type things). I love the topic of OBEs and if you have ever had one, it will blow your mind and cause you to question all that is reality. I can only surmise that state is our natural state outside the body (or beyond death) and it appears to be a wonderful state of existence. Clarity, man...clarity is the best word to describe it.

dreampsi said:
I have tried to have many OBE's but never "get out" during that state. Mine are always spontaneous during the night, although, after trying to have them, my # of experiences go up even though they are spontaneous.

During that relaxation time, I have heard talking and 2 times I have heard someone SHOUT my name which brought me out of that state. On 2 occasions I have heard "the music" and if you have heard it, you know what I mean. It is like nothing my physical ears have ever heard before. It is like Angelic choirs and the most beautiful music you could imagine.

I've had similar experiences as well. Hearing my name, one word shouts that bring me out of the states etc. I've never had any OBEs. I have experienced possibly the beginning stages of some though.

I have heard music many times. I'm a musician and actually create full songs in certain states (production, effects, everything). I can rarely remember the songs when I wake up fully however.

Gwops, it is my own personal opinion, but I believe that there are certain "mechanics" in place for people who try to attempt travel outside the body. I feel there are entities among other things can can prey upon you or mis-guide, etc. I feel that if you are attempting this type of travel, you must be prepared for it and these noises and feelings is your consciousness "breaking into" that dimension. If one is scared and jumps back in the body or is frightened of what is occuring, it could possibly manifest demons, monsters, alien creature types, etc. by your very powerful mind. In THAT STATE, what you think is created or happens, thus if you are frightened in a full OBE, you might cause your mind to manifest one of these things that represents your fears. If you are fearful but tell yourself they are not real, they disappear (in my experiences). Are they real or imaginary?
Many times it is very quiet and I never hear any noises in the house except maybe the fridge running. When I have tried to leave the body, I begin to hear cracks, pops and it is like the wood in the house is cracking or breaking. I hear metaling "pings" and other noises. Sometimes it scares me or I tell myself, "OK ..this is it, I am having an OBE" and then it disappears and I'm opening my eyes to find it deathly quiet. I get too excited and that can blow an OBE. I guess you have to have the right combination of relaxation in body and mind to achieve it consciously. I have heard many stories (and known a few) that have them at will or have them every weeknight and never do any kind of techniques to achieve them. I guess those people have a lose tie to the body or they can just naturally relax to the proper state. They are lucky and most who can seem to do that...they wish they couldn't or don't care that they can. They don't use it to persue knowledge or information on past, present, future situations they are curious about. Those things are what I would use it for!!
Keep up your attempts!

Interesting thread guys! We should keep this going, update each other as we get more experience with OBEs. I have to admit - I feel like Gene here in that I'm very very interested in the phenomenon but have never had an out of body experience nor been close to achieving one. I've never even had a lucid dream. I've bought some books on the subject but, truthfully, never really put in enough effort to claim I've given it an honest go.

As to the "reality" of the out of body experience, I think that's something to be worried about later. First and foremost, achieving a conscious OBE should be the goal. If and when that can be accomplished, then we can start to explore the phenomenon and form hypotheses based on our observations.

What do my fellow posters think? Are OBEs real in an objective sense, with something actually leaving the body, or are they just some bizarre, extremely lucid form of daydream that occurs totally in our heads? Either way, I yearn for the day I can achieve an OBE because I know it's going to be crazy fun. :D

Yakuzablitz said:
Interesting thread guys! We should keep this going, update each other as we get more experience with OBEs. I have to admit - I feel like Gene here in that I'm very very interested in the phenomenon but have never had an out of body experience nor been close to achieving one. I've never even had a lucid dream. I've bought some books on the subject but, truthfully, never really put in enough effort to claim I've given it an honest go.

As to the "reality" of the out of body experience, I think that's something to be worried about later. First and foremost, achieving a conscious OBE should be the goal. If and when that can be accomplished, then we can start to explore the phenomenon and form hypotheses based on our observations.

What do my fellow posters think? Are OBEs real in an objective sense, with something actually leaving the body, or are they just some bizarre, extremely lucid form of daydream that occurs totally in our heads? Either way, I yearn for the day I can achieve an OBE because I know it's going to be crazy fun. :D

It's odd, but ever since I over came the fear of going out of my body, I haven't tried to do it. Back when the idea was a little frightening to me, I tried a lot. Not sure why that is.

I've had many lucid dreams. Or maybe I only dreamed that I was having a lucid dream:)

Science needs to try and verify OBEs more.

A.LeClair said:
Science needs to try and verify OBEs more.

Well, when you say "science" I have to imagine that you are referring to the more main stream scientists with published results in journals, etc. There have been several studies I have read about and one inparticular which OBE experiments were done. In those tests, they had a person lie in bed and try to have an OBE. In the next room, a shelf was placed up on the wall above head level. On that shelf was placed various items. The person was to go to that shelf in the next room (in his/her OBE) and view the items and upon waking, tell what objects were viewed. This was done a number of times until they got the data to support or deny that the OBE existed.
So...I guess my point is that the people doing that particular experiment might not be considered main stream scientists but still did the study. Maybe just call them researchers and not necessarily scientists? What denotes a scientist vs. researcher? A scientist does controlled experiments while a researcher gathers data from various sources? I can only assume there may be quite a bit out there if we try to find it, given the increasing use of internet yearly for people to post findings like this. I don't read scientific journals, so that may also be the type of "science" you are referring to. I know I shouldn't post without providing links to that story, but I will try to find them and post it if you care to read about it. Its an interesting and fascinating topic to me.

Gwops, thanks for the book info. You certainly should dust off those Robert Bruce books..maybe on a rainy day when you are home alone and decide to try;)

I like both Robert Bruce and William Buhlman and their techniques. The others I have not read but will look them up. Thanks. I tend to think people will have them more as the current collective conscious evolves. If some people experienced them with current mindsets, they might go literally insane or try to harm themselves, that is why I wish more was published in this area. Some people that have the experiences tend to "wake up" to more awareness about themselves and their "reality". Maybe that is the reason? hmm..OBEing to the kitchen sounds good to me now..so OFF I go! :p

dreampsi said:

I'm a little jealous! When I am that relaxed and hear voices, they always sound tinny, genderless, and creepy. I don't think they are anything paranormal, but sometimes they creep me out just the same.

This will probably sound crazy but hear me out first.

I woke up in the middle of the night, and this popped into my head

"The old man has just been shot by a goat"

It seemed such an odd thought to have, I thought I should write it down so I wouldn't forget the next day. It actually made me laugh for a while, but being sleepy and tired, I went back to sleep.

Anyway, the next day my father told me he had a dream in which he'd been at some kind of animal place, he looked at a goat and he said it pulled a gun on him and fired.

I was so amazed I didn't say anything (my fathers quite sceptical of such things)

So what could explain what had happened?

Are thoughts and dreams some kind of information field that its possible to tap into in a certain state, and catch a glimpse of someone else's dream, much like radio stations when you are hopping from station to station and tuning into different programs (information)

I'm not sure, but it was a weird experience to say the least. In a way it confirmed to me that thoughts are energy much the same as any other, and the brain is able to decode and translate that energy into information, much the same way as a TV decodes the electromagnetic wave into pictures and sound.

idontunderstand said:
This will probably sound crazy but hear me out first.

I woke up in the middle of the night, and this popped into my head

"The old man has just been shot by a goat"

It seemed such an odd thought to have, I thought I should write it down so I wouldn't forget the next day. It actually made me laugh for a while, but being sleepy and tired, I went back to sleep.

Anyway, the next day my father told me he had a dream in which he'd been at some kind of animal place, he looked at a goat and he said it pulled a gun on him and fired.

I was so amazed I didn't say anything (my fathers quite sceptical of such things)

So what could explain what had happened?

Are thoughts and dreams some kind of information field that its possible to tap into in a certain state, and catch a glimpse of someone else's dream, much like radio stations when you are hopping from station to station and tuning into different programs (information)

I'm not sure, but it was a weird experience to say the least. In a way it confirmed to me that thoughts are energy much the same as any other, and the brain is able to decode and translate that energy into information, much the same way as a TV decodes the electromagnetic wave into pictures and sound.

If accurate, It's either a major coincidence, he told you before but you forgot, or a psychic event.

I have a psychic experiment thread. If interested go look at the dream/envelope experiment I mention and give it a try. Let us know your results.

Cool man, ill take a look at your thread. I'm sure he didn't tell me before the event, so its either the most bizarre coincidence ever, or some kind of information ive tapped into.

Cheers!

I tried astral projection when I was in my early teens - the first time I felt myself 'lifting' I noticed a dark shape appear in the corner of my room. It scared the hell out of me - I woke up in a cold sweat. I didn't want to try it again after that.

I've also read about links between astral projection and alien abduction so that sealed it for me - I'll leave it alone.

Gwops said:
Could you make out what these voices were saying ?
Did they sound familiar to you ?
What makes you think they are not paranormal ? (my last questions probably sounds like wishful thinking but this isn't intended)

Thank you in advance for your reply :)

Regards
Gwops

I could understand the voices perfectly, and no, they are not familiar. They sound tinny and robotic, not warm or human. They usually say my name, and things like "what is this?" or "come here" or "stay" or "go up." It's never more than a couple of words.
You know, I suppose they could be paranormal, but I'm reluctant to believe that because I recall reading somewhere once upon a time that hearing voices when you are relaxing is just something the brain does to "clear out the day's clutter," so to speak. As much as I would love to believe that there are spirits speaking to me, I can't for the life of me figure out why they would bother. Also, I guess I am going for the "logical" explanation! I don't want to feel silly if I tell someone I sometimes hear such voices and they just laugh at me and tell me to not keep my mind so open that my brains trickle out.
Thanks for asking! This entire discussion is fascinating.

As for OBE's, I've tried and tried to have them and fail. A couple of time I believed I succeeded, but I'm not sure. I would float out of my house, see the street, then the scenery would change to a beautiful river and flowers. Then I would recall that I should try to contact a deceased loved one. I would consciously look for my Grandma, but never find her. I would, instead, come across one person after another claiming they will take me to her, but they never did. This type of bull would go on and on until I finally lost the state and returned to my bed, awake. This type of experience occurred for me several times over a few months.
Another time, and this is quite embarrassing, I felt that I shot up into outer space. I had always wanted to see Jupiter, so I wished myself to travel there. Suddenly it loomed large before me and I was seized by a feeling of evil and danger and such terror that I snapped back to my bed and sat up, my heart racing wildly. I was afraid to try again. I know how retarded this sounds, but I now have this fear of celestial bodies. Not in idea, and pictures, and NASA stuff; I LOVE astronomy dearly. But the very idea of me actually coming close to one in person terrifies me out of my mind when I have dreams about them or even think about trying again for an OBE.
Lately I've tried a few times, and fail. I don't know that I'll ever be able to have one and KNOW that I have truly had one and not just a lucid dream or nightmare.

Well, here is my Zen-informed two cents. That crazy stuff you hear during meditation is called makyo. These are effects of contemplative activity, and hallucinatory or not, are distractions to be considered and then ignored. On a grander scale, makyo might manifest as contact with alien/supernatural entities, and whether these contacts are 'real' or not, arise from the strenuous effort of questioning reality in a deep way, and should be considered and again ultimately ignored.

Not to say that study of this field is an unworthy endeavor- I've been studying the fringe since I was 7, and goodness knows I think there is so much to learn. All that the Zen tradition suggests is that at the end of the day, whether God or aliens exist independently of the mind or not (or if you're a bit more solipsist, whether ANYTHING does), at some point you have to say to yourself "I'm tired and I need to eat a ****ing hamburger, or I'm gonna freak out. The metaphysics can wait until morning." There's a powerful lesson there, that I struggle with even now.

I'm sure all this could lead to my theories on the 'Noumenal Substrate'... well, pretty much anything can get me going on that. In fact, I'll rock and roll on any paranormal phenomena with these theories, if anyone is interested. I'm also available for weddings and bat mitzvahs.

pixelsmith said:
i Kant understand the dang Ding-an-sich...

I used to run a hellish packaging machine at a feedmill. Some genius came up with the idea to post a clipboard labelled "AUTOPACKER PROBLEMS". It had forms where people would write various maintenance issues. One night in a fit of pique I took a sharpie and wrote DING-AN-SICH on the cover. The clipboard was never updated after that...

Philosophy in action.

Back