• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Took these this morning.

T

Tommy Allison

Okay. Let me explain this. I'm getting ready to take out the garbage. My cat Darthy is desperately trying to get me to let her outside. I don't think much of it, because she likes spending the early hours on the deck. I get a weird vibe. I look up, and I notice something bright off in the distance. Not sure what it was. I actually went back into the house and got the camera with the tripod. Here's the pics I took. They're in succession, and unedited in any way. Taken with an Olympus SP550, Digital. This is not a star, because shortly after I took pictures, it moved off. Before I could switch the mode from picture to movie, it was gone.

p7030039pk5.jpg

p7030040fs5.jpg

p7030041pk0.jpg

p7030042pq5.jpg

I had to crop the last one a bit to make it small enough for Image Shack to take.

Thanks for taking the time, Tommy.
A few of the usual questions...

Did you see any structure behind the light?
Did it move "intelligently" and with purpose?
How did it move away?
Any noise?

(God, I sound like a UFO investigator)

Okay. Let me explain this. I'm getting ready to take out the garbage. My cat Darthy is desperately trying to get me to let her outside. I don't think much of it, because she likes spending the early hours on the deck. I get a weird vibe. I look up, and I notice something bright off in the distance. Not sure what it was. I actually went back into the house and got the camera with the tripod. Here's the pics I took. They're in succession, and unedited in any way. Taken with an Olympus SP550, Digital. This is not a star, because shortly after I took pictures, it moved off. Before I could switch the mode from picture to movie, it was gone.

May I ask a few questions:
1) Where (what city) were these taken in? (The more location details the better, while being respectful of your privacy.)
2) In what direction is the camera looking? (N, NE, E, et..)
3) The timestamps show a range of pictures from 4:51:33am thru 4:52:49am. Was this the correct local time?

I am in Minneapolis, MN. The camera is looking southwest from my house. It is the correct time, this morning.

I was actually going to go catch some Z's but remembered I needed to take out the garbage. That's when I saw it. It initially was behind a tree, but it was really bright, and had a big corona around it. It really got my attention. At that point it was directly south of me. I got my camera, which was already attached to the tripod as I took photos of a sculpt I finished. Went outside, and it was moving west.

It seemed to stop for a moment, and then distorted a bit. It then started to move west and was gone like it went into an envelope.

I am in Minneapolis, MN. The camera is looking southwest from my house. It is the correct time, this morning.

Ah. Well, the times are about 5 minutes off but the ISS was visible and quite bright at about that time from your viewing location.

The elevation looks about right.

My advice is check the time setting on your camera and see if it is five minutes ahead of "real" time --- if it is, you probably almost certainly saw the ISS. (I'm not describing this well. Find out what the real time is (time.gov), add five minutes, and see if that's what the camera clock time is. If it *is* anywhere close, you can almost certainly categorize this sighting as ISS.)

The ISS is a big bright silent fast-moving non-blinking light in the sky and generates many UFO reports.

It's movement is quite steady, relatively fast, and is bound to get one's attention if he's looking up too.

Still, quite interesting photos, Tommy. Would be interesting to see if it is the ISS.

Ah. Well, the times are about 5 minutes off but the ISS was visible and quite bright at about that time from your viewing location.

The elevation looks about right.

My advice is check the time setting on your camera and see if it is five minutes ahead of "real" time --- if it is, you probably almost certainly saw the ISS. (I'm not describing this well. Find out what the real time is (time.gov), add five minutes, and see if that's what the camera clock time is. If it *is* anywhere close, you can almost certainly categorize this sighting as ISS.)

The ISS is a big bright silent fast-moving non-blinking light in the sky and generates many UFO reports.

It's actually dead on accurate as far as Time goes. This object was stationary for about a good 20 minutes before I got my camera. As far as the ISS goes, I know what that looks like, and it's not a flying V.

It's actually dead on accurate as far as Time goes. This object was stationary for about a good 20 minutes before I got my camera. As far as the ISS goes, I know what that looks like, and it's not a flying V.

Well, the ISS flew over while you were out there looking in that direction. Did you see it? If not, why not?

Perhaps it would be helpful to write up a detailed report, I'm a little alarmed that your story gets a little more extravagant with each post.

Well, the ISS flew over while you were out there looking in that direction. Did you see it? If not, why not?

Perhaps it would be helpful to write up a detailed report, I'm a little alarmed that your story gets a little more extravagant with each post.

It does not. How is it becoming more Extravagant?

Look, people asked me questions, and I answered them, and I also think that the ISS goes over my area significantly later than what you seem to believe.

It does not. How is it becoming more
Look, people asked me questions, and I answered them, and I also think that the ISS goes over my area significantly later than what you seem to believe.

Here's a link to the ISS Orbit Tracker. Not even close.

Actually, it does show that the ISS went over Minneapolis this morning during the time you had your event:

Thu Jul 03/04:42 AM
Visible for 4 minutes
Maximum elevation: 37 degrees
Appeared first 10 degrees elevation in the SSW

So I think you must figure out how you saw a UFO in the same place in the sky that the ISS was but did not see the ISS.

You do realize that the ISS shows up at different times on different days and sometimes doesn't pass over a particular point for days at a time?

Anyway, it did pass over Minneapolis this morning at about the same time you had your "event".

I suspect what happened was you had your "woo woo" moment, looked up and saw Jupiter in the SW sky. Excited, you went back inside and got your camera and found the ISS flying by when you came back outside. Add in a little imagination, and Boom! paranormal event.

As far as your event getting more extravagant with each post, I meant:

1) "..I get a weird vibe. I look up, and I notice something bright off in the distance. Not sure what it was. I actually went back into the house and got the camera with the tripod....This is not a star, because shortly after I took pictures, it moved off."

And some pictures of a light in the sky.

2) "...I was actually going to go catch some Z's but remembered I needed to take out the garbage. That's when I saw it. It initially was behind a tree, but it was really bright, and had a big corona around it. It really got my attention. At that point it was directly south of me. I got my camera, which was already attached to the tripod as I took photos of a sculpt I finished. Went outside, and it was moving west...."

At this point, the "woo woo" "weird vibe" element is gone, and so is the cat. You were merely taking out the garbage.

"...It seemed to stop for a moment, and then distorted a bit. It then started to move west and was gone like it went into an envelope...."

Now, the light is stopping and starting and "distorting" and disappeared into an "envelope"?

3) "...This object was stationary for about a good 20 minutes before I got my camera. As far as the ISS goes, I know what that looks like, and it's not a flying V...."

Now, the sighting is of a long-duration nature and is now described as a "V".

Now, don't be upset, remember I am JILTED. AND BIASED. I presume everything has a mundane explanation until there is some reason to believe otherwise. If your heart of hearts tells you that you had a paranormal event this morning, then you must trust it.

Actually, it does show that the ISS went over Minneapolis this morning during the time you had your event:

Thu Jul 03/04:42 AM
Visible for 4 minutes
Maximum elevation: 37 degrees
Appeared first 10 degrees elevation in the SSW

So I think you must figure out how you saw a UFO in the same place in the sky that the ISS was but did not see the ISS.

You do realize that the ISS shows up at different times on different days and sometimes doesn't pass over a particular point for days at a time?

Anyway, it did pass over Minneapolis this morning at about the same time you had your "event".

I suspect what happened was you had your "woo woo" moment, looked up and saw Jupiter in the SW sky. Excited, you went back inside and got your camera and found the ISS flying by when you came back outside. Add in a little imagination, and Boom! paranormal event.

As far as your event getting more extravagant with each post, I meant:

1) "..I get a weird vibe. I look up, and I notice something bright off in the distance. Not sure what it was. I actually went back into the house and got the camera with the tripod....This is not a star, because shortly after I took pictures, it moved off."

And some pictures of a light in the sky.

2) "...I was actually going to go catch some Z's but remembered I needed to take out the garbage. That's when I saw it. It initially was behind a tree, but it was really bright, and had a big corona around it. It really got my attention. At that point it was directly south of me. I got my camera, which was already attached to the tripod as I took photos of a sculpt I finished. Went outside, and it was moving west...."

At this point, the "woo woo" "weird vibe" element is gone, and so is the cat. You were merely taking out the garbage.

"...It seemed to stop for a moment, and then distorted a bit. It then started to move west and was gone like it went into an envelope...."

Now, the light is stopping and starting and "distorting" and disappeared into an "envelope"?

3) "...This object was stationary for about a good 20 minutes before I got my camera. As far as the ISS goes, I know what that looks like, and it's not a flying V...."

Now, the sighting is of a long-duration nature and is now described as a "V".

Now, don't be upset, remember I am JILTED. AND BIASED. I presume everything has a mundane explanation until there is some reason to believe otherwise. If your heart of hearts tells you that you had a paranormal event this morning, then you must trust it.

Um, did you look at the last photo I posted? If not, then you should look, because it is in fact a V.

As far as extravagance goes, compared to some other folks, my little blurbs are pretty bland. If I said the fuckers landed after a dozen posts, then I'd say it was extravagant. You're just an asshole. As far as having a UFO or WOO WOO experience, No. Hardly. I don't believe in little green men. It also wasn't the ISS. I've seen that before, and you simply can't see it where I live. Not to mention the fact that it would have been well below the horizon.

I assure you, from my vantage point where I live, I wouldn't have seen the ISS, for the simple fact that there's crap obscuring where you think it should be. If you fucking lived here, then maybe your point would have some merit.

Lastly, the ISS is going to be flying over us again tonight around 3:00 AM or a little later, and I'll see if I can't get some shots of it so I can compare and contrast it for you.

Um, did you look at the last photo I posted? If not, then you should look, because it is in fact a V.

The light image is v-shaped, but the exposure is 1/2 second. The v-shape is certainly the result of hand-shake or some other genre of camera movement.

You're just an asshole.

Yes.

It also wasn't the ISS.

Possibly not, but we would need to rule that out.

I've seen that before, and you simply can't see it where I live. Not to mention the fact that it would have been well below the horizon.

This is simply not a true statment. During the pass, it was 37 degrees above the horizon. A second pass tomorrow morning at around 5am will nearly be overhead.

I assure you, from my vantage point where I live, I wouldn't have seen the ISS, for the simple fact that there's crap obscuring where you think it should be. If you fucking lived here, then maybe your point would have some merit.

I think it should be where you said the "object" was ("...southwest from [your] house..."), and the photos you provided don't show any kind've obstruction.

If you've convinced yourself that you saw something paranormal, then trust your instinct.

If you want to convince me, then we must find some mechanism to rule out a much more mundane Jupiter/ISS mixup.

This thread is just one big tease! Anyone know how to get the photos to show up? Or is it a case of imageshack engaging in funny business?

Back