• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

This is fantastic

Mogwa

Skilled Investigator
Like a scene taken from The Prestige. Below the clip you'll find a spoiler revealing how this was done. Please watch the clip first!

http://bionicfan.com/kj/

Now here's a similar effect form the main man himself:

I think Harry (Eric Weiss) Houdini would have loved this.

The explanation given in that first link includes an actor that is actually, physically legless...like an amputee or something. Was he joking about that or is that really how they did it?

Then there is the David Copperfield video and the kid who does the trick in his house. I still don't understand how they make their torsos rise and "detach" from the body. It's a great trick, thanks for posting it.

What a great illusion. That young man who replicated it in his living room was amazing. Of course, the other posters there seemed to have figured the illusion out as well without too much difficulty. For me, I haven't got a clue. I guess it all depends upon the particular "reality" you're prepared to see the world through, and illusionists imagine things in a very different way.

I''m still scratching my head over Copperfield and the young guy who perfectly recapitulated the stunt in his living room. Guess I don't have any future as as an illusionist.

I figured out how it's done but I have a hard time explaining it. Watch the vid again, but really look lol.

For those that still haven't figured it out, here's some info. He's moving his shirt to the side when tilting. The jeans are on a dummy and he is hiding his real legs to the side when he sits down etc.

Paranormal Packrat said:
I figured out how it's done but I have a hard time explaining it. Watch the vid again, but really look lol.

For those that still haven't figured it out, here's some info. He's moving his shirt to the side when tilting. The jeans are on a dummy and he is hiding his real legs to the side when he sits down etc.

Please try to explain! I still don't completely get it. I can see in the video that the kid's torso looks unnaturally long. I also think I see something black behind the "legs" at one point. But that's all the fakery I have picked out so far.

Brian Now said:
Please try to explain! I still don't completely get it. I can see in the video that the kid's torso looks unnaturally long. I also think I see something black behind the "legs" at one point. But that's all the fakery I have picked out so far.

Notice how he walks all stiff? Those are dummy legs and he is hiding his real ones behind it. You can catch a glimpse of this in the vid.

Watch him when he floats. He is moving his shirt to the side to give the appearance he is cutt in half. He's relying on the curtain and dummy legs to shield the rest of his body from sight.

Here's a similar concept and trick. Get some shoes. Place them on the floor, then stick your knees in them. Anyone from a certain front angle will NOT see your shins behind your upper legs and you'll look like dorf/Tim Conway's midget character.

If there is a specific part you are stumped on regarding the boy's version of David C's trick, ask. I can explain all of that one. I haven't rewatched all of Copperfield again, I do recall he went out to the side more and wasn't directly behind the dummy legs. However, it looked like something like a blue screen and editing occured. I don't know for sure though, since I wasn't in the audience.

Oh, for the sitting in the chair part in the boy's vid, find a stool, sit on it, then move your legs to the side while facing forward. That is what he is doing, meanwhile hiding his legs behind the dummy. If you'll notice, he is very careful to hold his shirt down when sitting to hide his lap. Also, at times you can see he is really wearing black pants.

If still lost, I have a webcam, and I can try to take some images of myself demonstrating it later. I've never uploaded any images here yet, but think I can figure out how maybe.

wow! i know they're illusions, but it still makes my head feel funny! I even get the explanations (mostly). I still think David Copperfield rocks!

I did take pics, but got an error message upoin loading. Yes, I know, I'm evoking a conspiracy theory, but will prove you gun jumpers wrong soon enough. I should have my pic up soon. Note, it took me 3 seconds to do my pic. Is it as good as the kid's? Probably not, but please, get this... he isn't really floating and severed.... my pic, should at least bend you toward seeing that. :)

I appreciate all your efforts to explain this, Packrat. I can't really make out what I am seeing in the avatar you are using at the moment though.

Back