• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Strangest Words...

Goody

Sailor Of Mind & Time
Once again I'm back with yet another stupid thread...& don't you all love it.

What is easily the dumbest word in the human vocabulary? & why in your opinion is it so stupid? Is it how the spelling doesn't seem to make any sense in relation to the pronounciation? Or just how it sounds when you repeat it over and over again? Perhaps 'colloquial' language is the worst of all. Whatever makes you spin, post it here.

Goody.

I once knew a girl who react very strongly to a few certain words (trousers and moist being among them). She would visibly pale and then turn greenish (kind of like someone getting motion sickness) if the key words were repeated; for fun we would hold her down and force her to watch cake mix commercials. Good times.

Michael L. said:
I once knew a girl who react very strongly to a few certain words (trousers and moist being among them). She would visibly pale and then turn greenish (kind of like someone getting motion sickness) if the key words were repeated; for fun we would hold her down and force her to watch cake mix commercials. Good times.

Remember the case of the woman who would pass out at the mere mention of the word "sex?" I remember watching footage of this woman giving testimony in court, and the minute she uttered the word "sex" she toppled over out of her seat.

For that, I nominate "sex" as the strangest word ever. That, and "penis."

Tony2013 said:
Michael L. said:

Remember the case of the woman who would pass out at the mere mention of the word "sex?" I remember watching footage of this woman giving testimony in court, and the minute she uttered the word "sex" she toppled over out of her seat.

For that, I nominate "sex" as the strangest word ever. That, and "penis."

Nah, she is strange more so than the words.

Goody, you're a thread-master of the evil genius variety.:D

Any word in the current and ever expanding lexicon of the modern corporate world is strange and stupid.

I sit in meetings and tick off how many times these buzzwords are used.

drill down, touch base, straw man, bandwidth... just bullshit words so people sound smarter than they are.

-todd.

Two words that make me cringe and even grit my teeth ... because THEY ARE NOT WORDS!!!

"Irregardless" ain't a word, ever, but clucks use it all the time. It is "regardless."

The other word that isn't a word is "orientated." Because so MANY people use it, it will become an official word in the dictionary, I'm sure. Until then, the word is "oriented."

... grumble ...

Misspelling is good though. :p

Poi said:
Two words that make me cringe and even grit my teeth ... because THEY ARE NOT WORDS!!!

"Irregardless" ain't a word, ever, but clucks use it all the time. It is "regardless."

The other word that isn't a word is "orientated." Because so MANY people use it, it will become an official word in the dictionary, I'm sure. Until then, the word is "oriented."

... grumble ...

Misspelling is good though. :p

Yeh, my mom said irregardless til she was like fifty. Wonder how that came to be, the utterance of irregardless.

How bout this one.... "I could care less". It should be, I couldn't care less. Not a word, but a sentence. Close enough.

But really. All language is made up. We can conform or not to it. It's arbitrary. Ever watch Gallagher apply reason to our language? Makes English teachers look like fools.

All words were mere utterances at one time. Language is a bandwagon people jump on, but then forget they're on it. Meaning is behind the word, in a manner of speaking. Or is it, matter of speaking?

Paranormal Packrat said:
Yeh, my mom said irregardless til she was like fifty. Wonder how that came to be, the utterance of irregardless.

According to an article I read many years ago, the word originates in the mid-western US about 150 years back. An apparent contraction of "irrespective" and "regardless", it violates basic grammar by having both a negative prefix and suffix, thus making the word contradict itself (and therefore it is not a word). Orientated is one I have said myself on occaision, often followed by a slight pause wherein I think "Shouldn't that have been "oriented"?"

Another one creeping into the lexicon with growing strength is "normalcy" as a replacement to either "normality" or even "normal" which is bizarre in and of itself.

As for words that bug me personally, I'd have to say "enough" drives me mental. Nothing about that word makes any sense. It should either be spelled "enuff" or pronounced "e-now-ge"!

I heard a couple use the word 'Communicable', as in; a 'communicable disease'. I thought, shouldn't it just be a 'communal' disease? After all they were referring to a disease that is shared between people....

I dislike 'grotto', 'cheese', 'puff', pepper' & 'tonne'. Everyone pronounced it 'TUN', now its 'TON'.

Ridiculous.:D

Goody.

Some of my pet hates (in my not so honest opinion, of course) :p

Anyone who replies "whatever" to something I think should be made to watch The Simpsons constantly until their brains melt (about 2 seconds should do it, i think).

Anything with the letter "i" prefacing it i.e. i-pod ... i-mac ... i-robot (film version of course) ... (i-cecream is a definite exception)

All hip-hop-speak and spellings (speak English damnit)

All Mike Myers catchphrases (does anyone remember when he was a very early morning kids tv presenter on British breakfast TV, early-mid 80s ... yep ... he was crap then as well :D)

(oh and 'doh' as well ... but that speaks for itself, of course)

To bring in a similar brand of slang & what I think is laziness, is the new generation of 'random & online chat terms' (my label).

Example: 'No sorry, I wont be able to come over & see you this evening my darling because I have to go to work'

Translates to: 'Naw sowwy, wont b abl 2 cum ova & c u dis evnin moi drling cuz I hav 2 go 2 werk'.

I wish someone would abolish such mindless garb; It's infectious to other like-minded individuals & is destroying their minds. Everyone is using that 'style'. Why don't they just speak properly!?

Goody.

CapnG said:
Paranormal Packrat said:

According to an article I read many years ago, the word originates in the mid-western US about 150 years back. An apparent contraction of "irrespective" and "regardless", it violates basic grammar by having both a negative prefix and suffix, thus making the word contradict itself (and therefore it is not a word). Orientated is one I have said myself on occaision, often followed by a slight pause wherein I think "Shouldn't that have been "oriented"?"

Another one creeping into the lexicon with growing strength is "normalcy" as a replacement to either "normality" or even "normal" which is bizarre in and of itself.

As for words that bug me personally, I'd have to say "enough" drives me mental. Nothing about that word makes any sense. It should either be spelled "enuff" or pronounced "e-now-ge"!

Thanks for the info.

Funny, I often spell it like enuff. I like using a little shorthand when typing, so I sometimes spell things in a quicker way.

schticknz said:

Anyone who replies "whatever" to something I think should be made to watch The Simpsons constantly until their brains melt (about 2 seconds should do it, i think).

Anything with the letter "i" prefacing it i.e. i-pod ... i-mac ... i-robot (film version of course) ... (i-cecream is a definite exception)

All Mike Myers catchphrases (does anyone remember when he was a very early morning kids tv presenter on British breakfast TV, early-mid 80s ... yep ... he was crap then as well :D)

You must hate the Simpsons eh? Ok, now someone is going to type up they hate "eh".

I used to hate "lol". Finally got used to it awhile back. Dunno why. I also hated the fact that it bugged me. Rather petty, I should have gotten over it in at least a day.

Paranormal Packrat said:
schticknz said:

You must hate the Simpsons eh? Ok, now someone is going to type up they hate "eh".

I used to hate "lol". Finally got used to it awhile back. Dunno why. I also hated the fact that it bugged me. Rather petty, I should have gotten over it in at least a day.

Something about '1337' (Elite) speak annoys the fuck out of me...& 'lol' takes getting used to. I use it but it's habit, although I try not to spam it. Haha, yet another term. ;)

The fact that it's now 'cool' to throw all the gay terms around just aggrivates me; but thats my personal opinion.

Keep the posts going,

Goody.

I can't stand the word "tasty"...it sounds gross...I'm not a big fan of "moist", either. I can't stand the misuse of "myself"!!!! arrrghhh!!! Irregardless is a close 2nd!

Actually, I don't hate The Simpsons. I hugely despise them, actually :D ... strange unfunny yellow annoying things ... in my not so honest opinion (or should that be "imnsho").

('Mummy ... why are those cartoon people yellow, gut shakingly unfunny and deeply deeply conservative?? ... they're scaring me ... actually')

Oh and, actually, ... what a surprise ... I also don't like the word 'actually' as well ... it actually gives me the heebee geebees (sp?) when I hear politicians, journalists, zoologists and other middle-class reactionaries ... sorry ... professionals use it frequently and for no apparent reason, actually.

Text speak is also a big no-no in my world. Recently I was given a mobile phone and I refuse to use text speak. I will try to put over what I want to say in a short and succinct fashion without using abbreviations ... and sometimes I even go onto a second or even third page!!

p.s. However, I do (actually) rather like the word 'moist' ... very British ... very Stephen Fry. A far worse word, in my not so important opinion, is "puce". Now that really is a word that should not be heard very often in polite society.

p.p.s oh and "..." is over used to some extent too ... actually (damn) ... but thats neither here nor there.

Back