• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Secret Life of the Dog

Free versions of recent episodes:

dusty

Skilled Investigator
Watched a fascinating documentary last night called "The Secret Life of the Dog". Here's a link but I dont know how long you will be able to view it so if your interested give it a go. I'm talking to you Schuyler and Siani :).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pssgh/Horizon_20092010_The_Secret_Life_of_the_Dog/

The point of the programme was to show that dogs in fact may be far more intelligent than previously thought, and that scientists from around the world are investigating in some novel ways just how they have developed since becoming mans best friend.

The experiment that really piqued my interest ultimately showed that just like humans, dogs tend to read the right side of the human face unlike the way they look at each other, to both recognize and accurately interpret any communication. Funnily enough it was also shown that we have a remarkable ability to interpret various barks and noises, even those of us who dont have dogs.

This particularly interested me as for years now I have not only noticed myself doing this but I actually feel a little uncomfortable looking at a persons left side when having a conversation. Whenever I try to look at someones left side deliberately particularly the eyes, I not only feel uncomfortable but I sometimes get the impression that they feel the same.
My question is when we do this, could it be that it is being read as agression?

Woof,

Mark

That's the sound of a dog with a lisp btw.

Thanks. Won't work for anyone outside the UK, unfortunately. 'Rights' agreements for the player and all that. If your IP is from the US, you get a message that is essentially, "Bzzt. Thanks for playing. You lost."

Hey, cheers Mark - watched it last night, after my mum rang to let me know it was on. It was fascinating - especially Betsy the border collie. If I showed my dog a photo of anything - he'd just chew the photo. I'd noticed the eye direction thing myself, to some degree. Often, if I look in a particular direction, my little dog will follow suit, e.g. if I look up, he will, too, but probably only because he thinks there's a biscuit in it for him. Also, if I mention the name of one of my two cats, he will look directly at the cat in question, so he's grasped the name thing, too. That said, he's generally quite a daft lad.

Schuyler - maybe the BBC will run the show in the US, as Horizon is one of its premier documentary series. If so, it's well worth watching.

It is well known that well raised and socialized dogs utilize body language to communicate effectively amongst themselves. What is funny is how we humans can use this to our advantage, or our disadvantage. A good book to read on the subject is "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell.

One of the things I've been studying for quite a while is dog body language as it pertains to my relationship with my dog, and his relationship with other dogs. Little things like squatting down next to, rather than leaning over a dog can make a huge difference in how a dog views you, the stranger.

I have never heard of the "left side" thing before, but it seems to make sense-I'll have to watch and observe.

And yes, humans, through selective breeding have created ever more trainable dogs (considered intelligent) and ever more non-trainable dogs (considered non-intelligent.) I don't make the mistake of categorizing trainable and intelligent together though.

Interesting you say that. My dog, Moses (above left) is almost 13 and has lost most of his hearing. He can hear loud bangs or a shrill whistle, but he can't hear normal speech. So I've been forced to communicate with him thorough gestures. I've found him to be extremely observant and capable of interpreting even small moves on my part. A slight nod of my head will get him to go in one direction or another. Especially where food is concerned I can't tweak a muscle without him noticing and reacting. Food is not a joke with him. It's serious business. Of course, I'm 'his person' and he pays special attention to me. We spend most all days together 24/7.

He's also very good at picking up on emotion. If my wife and I are the least bit romantic in his presence, in thought or deed, he starts growling because he wants some pets--which he always gets, of course. He was raised by cats, so a growl is a purr--I think.

Just found that some kind soul has put the show up on Youtube,
So for anyone who couldn't view the first link here you go,

Mark

The point of the programme was to show that dogs in fact may be far more intelligent than previously thought...

Yep. Dogs are much more intelligent than most people give them credit for.

Another reason why dog is my co-pilot.

Dogs were and are still always a companion to me since birth, don't plan to change that.I like cats too, though. ;)

Some of my best friends have been dogs. No shit. Life threating situations more than once. I get teary-eyed typing this much about it.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I think dogs are much more intelligent than they are often given credit for. And they are sooo sensitive. They can pick up on the slightest shift in the house when we are about to go out and possibly leave them alone.

Its true that poodles are smarter than the average dog too (I think). We have a cavoodle, which is a mix between a king charles cavalier and a poodle, and damn is she smart. You can see it in the bright, intelligent, aware eyes.

We probably shouldnt stop at dogs either. Im sure ALL animals are much smarter than us silly humans give them credit for.

If you watched this, one of the interesting issues is that dogs are smarter than chimpanzees when it comes to reading humans. Chimps simply 'do not get' gestures such as pointing. Neither do wolves, and ALL dogs are originally from wolves (not jackals, hyenas, foxes, or coyotes).

I also found interesting that humans could never have achieved civilization (such that it is and according to the theory) without dogs helping. If you've ever hunted or herded with a dog, you know how true this is.

I've resolved to give my dog more direct attention because of this show. I wish I were the person my dog thinks I am. Thanks.

If you've ever hunted or herded with a dog, you know how true this is.
They can definitely come in handy when it comes to bringing home some bacon. I can't imagine how you could possibly bag a variety of game, before there were firearms, without dogs. My dad used to have a little terrier that would dive underwater for a prolonged period and, on a good run, come up with fish!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I think dogs are much more intelligent than they are often given credit for.

[...]

We probably shouldnt stop at dogs either. Im sure ALL animals are much smarter than us silly humans give them credit for.

I agree with you, Gareth.

There is a thread here somewhere called "Another reason why advanced species should avoid us." It occurs to me that, until we humans can respect the non-human intelligent life already on this planet, we don't have any business exporting our small-mindedness (and all that this implies) anywhere else in the universe.

Actually watching this doco now. Fascinating stuff.

That they were able to detect the same hormone present in Mothers blood while breast feeding as being present in the blood of dog owners AND dogs just after petting is pretty mind blowing.

Also feeling a little bummed out about the loss our dog from a few weeks ago (Petra). Makes me happy that a couple years ago I insisted on getting another dog because Petra was getting old, and having their lives overlap would keep the flag raised across the lives of multiple dogs.

Dont spoil it, but Im hoping at the end of this doco they announce that theyve managed to double the average life of most dogs through genetic engineering;)

Some of my best friends have been dogs. No shit. Life threating situations more than once. I get teary-eyed typing this much about it.
Back in October, I contracted the H1N1 flu. I got out of bed, walked about 20 ft. and passed out cold. My dog Howie (that’s him in my avatar) was standing over me whimpering when I woke up. Who knows how long I would have laid there if he hadn’t of woke me up. So I can personally relate.
I have been working with a greyhound adoption group for about 5 years now. I love watching the dogs interact with each other and with people. I am very convinced they are smarter than we give them credit for. I am also amazed at how different the personalities can be, even if the dogs are the same breed and from similar backgrounds.
On the body language thing, that’s one of the first things I had to learn. They are VERY perceptive of human body language.
I volunteer an evening a week at the greyhound kennel and other times when I can. I get so much more from these guys than I give, they always lift my spirits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1247380/The-tell-tail-clue-happy-dog--wag-left.html

Didn't think this deserved a thread of it's own but definitely adds to the discussion.

Animal psychologist Roger Mugford said it added to growing evidence that dogs were even more sophisticated communicators than animals more closely related to man such as monkeys.

He said: 'It is ground-breaking stuff. We know that dogs, in a sense, have language, but it is more complicated because it is not just them wagging their tails, but also giving out chemical displays.'

Back