• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Paracast Joy Fun Book Club

G

Gil Bavel

At Miah's request, since we got somewhat off topic in the Boyd Bushman thread, I've started this one to discuss the works of Leah Haley, Karla Turner, Katharina Wilson, Marc Davenport (which are some damned fine books), and any others y'all would care to discuss. I'm quite partial to Stanton Friedman (his most recent Captured with Kathy Marden, Betty Hill's niece, is not only very different from his usual dry, data-hound style, but has in fact received praise from Linda Multoun Howe and Dr. Bruce Maccabee) and I've recently started Nick Pope's book, The Univited. As I mentioned previously in a different thread (man, I don't know what I was thinking--sorry), Leonard Stringfield's UFO Siege, in the manner that it deals not only with UFO sightings, landings, trace cases, but particularly, the sightings and sometimes interaction with humanoid (presumably) occupants of every conceivable stripe, is one of the most interesting, nay, fascinating books on the subject I've ever read.

I'm sure we're all quite well read here, but since many of these seminal books are out of print and largely hard to find, it would behoove us to kick around titles that might further edify us in our common interests and help us become better-rounded paranormal enthusiasts.

At your pleasure, in your own time.

On that note (and intentionally changing the nature of this thread already for a moment), I'd be interested to hear on this thread from anyone that's read any of LMH's books, or seen her videos. I've been after them for years, since they came out, really, but they seem to be so out of print that it drives the used book prices up to the ridiculous, and apparently that's the way Ms. Howe likes it. Some of her later titles are available on her web site, but the early ones are where I'd like to start. I find her work on cattle mutilations to be among the most compelling in the wide range of phenomena attributed to the UFO experience, and her early work, when she was a NBC producer in Colorado seems to be among her most grounded (pardon the pun). Since then she seems to have been prone to flights (sic) of fancy and willing to believe nearly anything, so long as she's the one that breaks the story.

I'm not a member of LMH's Earthfiles, nor Whitley's Unknown Country web sites, but I've heard them both on Coast quite a bit (you must forgive me--there was once a time when there was no Paracast, and we wandered in the desert for forty years) and must assume that their (especially LMH's) sites don't have the same kind of "listenership" that Coast does, since they keep coming back to Coast to widen their audience.

In Strieber's defense, he has books and so forth to push, so his being a guest on Coast occasionally makes sense.

Perhaps Ms. Howe is simply trying to garner a wider listenership for her show, where she has "broken" (in more than one sense) the stories about Chad's drones, J-Rods, Dr. Dan Burisch, and other stories that were so incredulous that I must have forgotten them entirely. I suppose it's not difficult to understand why she's having problems getting the same broader audience these other web shows enjoy since she's so undiscriminating as to carry the latest news about El Chupacabra (which looks like a half-wolf, half-dog with the mange), Witches flying about in Mexico, and damn near anything else that falls into the paranormal gutter that more self-respecting researchers won't touch with a ten foot pole.

It's all too bad; I thought her early work deserved a look--and inasmuch as I'm only familiar with it in an ancillary way, I'd be interested to hear points of view from those of you that have read it. Am I right in my assessment that she started out more credible, and has slid down the slippery journalistic slope along the way? The way I understand it is that the cattle mutilations continue and there is no more solid answer to it now then there was when she started some 25-odd years ago.

Then, on to the crop circles and so on, thus "Earthfiles", but this, core research area of hers is one I'd like to know more about.

I recently saw on a show somewhere that the details about the very first cattle mutilation were totally wrong--"Snippy", the female horse was named something different and was male--but I don't think this was her doing; I'm pretty sure she came upon this case long after others had reported about it. LMH just made it her pet (sorry) project, and delved more in-depth with it than any other single reporter.

So, again, I put out the question if anyone here is familiar with her early Harvest books and videos, and if you've noticed a decline over the years.

Gilbavel,
Please move this thread to the Free wheeling chit chat forum. As Miah said, this is a forum to ask questions for potential upcoming guest. If you need assistance then please PM me.
Thank you,
Fritz

ondafritz said:
Gilbavel,
Please move this thread to the Free wheeling chit chat forum. As Miah said, this is a forum to ask questions for potential upcoming guest. If you need assistance then please PM me.
Thank you,
Fritz

We have the ability to move threads? I thought only mods did.

Paranormal Packrat said:
ondafritz said:
Gilbavel,
Thank you,
Fritz

We have the ability to move threads? I thought only mods did.

Yes, do tell...

"It's all too bad; I thought her early work deserved a look--and inasmuch as I'm only familiar with it in an ancillary way, I'd be interested to hear points of view from those of you that have read it. Am I right in my assessment that she started out more credible, and has slid down the slippery journalistic slope along the way? The way I understand it is that the cattle mutilations continue and there is no more solid answer to it now then there was when she started some 25-odd years ago."

I couldn't agree more. Although, in her defense, it does look like someone(s) has spent decades jerking her around. Makes one wonder, why?

Wow. Finally found this thread again.

I haven't read any of her books. She does go off the deep end, but I am an Earthfiles member so that I can get snippets from Springfield and some of Linda's books which are interesting, if perhaps misleading.

Frankly, the whole Burisch mess coupled with the Chad drones left a bad taste in my mouth too. But I find Linda more naive than willfully misleading. May be bad judgment on my part, but so be it.

LMH is certainly naive. I do believe, Noanswers, that she started out with a good deal of credibility, put out her coffee table book A Strange Harvest, followed it up with a couple of videos, Alien Harvest and Strange Harvests 1993, and the books Glimpses of Other Realities, Volume I: Facts & eyewitnesses & Glimpses of Other Realities, Volume II: High Strangeness.

That brings us up to 1998. After that, she started doing the Earthfiles radio show, became the weekly science reporter for Dreamland, and a regular contributor to Coast.

This is where her credibility for some reason starts to come into question.

I'm not sure what precipitated it, but she's been progressively more willing since then to get involved with the likes of Burisch and co. which leads me to believe that someone got to her. She's an active member of the disinfo machine. What she spends her time on these days--drones, J-Rods, Ebens, etc.--it's all a distraction from her core investigations of what she used to cover, and now barely touches.

If you remember, she swallowed the Project Serpo thing boot sole, upper and shoelaces. Without any evidence or documentation.

She spread the disinformation party line as if she'd been recruited, bought and sold. Since then her "journalism" has been called into question in total opposition to when she started out--she won an Emmy back then, for cryin' out loud.

What made her turn her back on the UFO community? Why did the focus of her work change to the point that she's giving airtime to these obvious fakes like Burisch, the drones, etc?

I think we can only come up with one real answer. She's on the take.

Discuss.

Although I don't remember what Richard Doty fed her, she fell for his Sycop inspired line. He later admitted to her that he'd lied as part of his job. (He tells the truth now. Yeah, right.) Seems that would have burnt her on the disinfo business for good, but maybe not.

My guess is that her award winning documentary was a one shot wonder. She never mentions her membership numbers and I wonder at that. Surely, her website expenses and her living expenses can't be covered at $36 per year. She travels to England for a crop circle trip every year. The conferences are another matter. If hyped and in good locations, they might bring in bucks, but there are usually a good number of participants in which to split fees. Promoters probably make the bulk of that $$$.

Guess she could have turned, but a wealthy sugar daddy is just as likely. ;)

Back in the nineties, when I was first promoting UFO lectures, her speaking fee was HUGE.

I don't even know that I could get her to speak now. She does pretty well for herself on Earthfiles, I think. Keep in mind, Whitley doesn't give membership numbers on Dreamland either--but no one doubts that it's plenty huge.

Back