• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Moon Drifting Away? Well, a Little...

True, but hopefully climate denialists won't start blaming the Moon.
During the dinosaurs era, tides were lots stronger than today...

I remember a tv series where nuclear waste explodes on the moon sending it flying away 😂 (space:1999). Mind blowing that they could sell a silly over the top idea like that back in the ‘70s…. And people watched it ! … I do miss Gilligan’s island though :)

Isaac Asimov criticised the scientific accuracy of the series by pointing out that any explosion capable of knocking the Moon out of its orbit would actually blow it apart, and even if it did leave orbit it would take hundreds of thousands of years to reach the nearest star.

Duh 😂

Of course, being scientifically accurate isn't a requirement to make a TV show. It's ratings.

That's fascinating in the sense that ratings become a reflection of the values/sophistication of the society.

Take big bang theory (extreme nerdy rationality) for example, would that work in the 60's/70's... hum ... In contrast, the Star Trek series of the 60's featuring William Shatner's philosophical rantings were the definition of nerd lol.

IMHO, being scientifically accurate or presenting extrapolations with potential future application weights much more in the balance to get ratings in 2023 (probably why Star Trek is still relevant today). The internet changed everything.

Don't forget how Star Trek helped influence scientists to create cellphones, tablets, and they are exploring the possibilities of matter teleportation and, of course, warp drive.

More specifically:

Of course, NASA is skeptical of faster-than-light travel and beaming you up, but, as I said, others are exploring them.

Of course, NASA is skeptical of faster-than-light travel and beaming you up, but, as I said, others are exploring them.

We beat the speed of sound by adopting the delta shape configuration for 'air' craft. My instincts tell me we'll conquer FTL once we master fusion or some exotic source of energy allowing us to warp space instead of us having to adapt to the limitations of space in the E=MC2 equation. (Mass becomes infinite as we approach the speed of light). I like the Alcubierre drive ;)

May not happen during our lifetime though ;)

Back