• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The great vocalists thread

Gordon Lightfoot. Michael Bublé. Sarah MacLachlan. Trisha Yearwood. Al Stewart. the chick who did the background vocals on Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon".
Van Morrison. Micky Hucknall of Simply Red. Mark Knoppfler. ALISON KRAUSS!!!
Sarah Brightman. Michael Crawford. Eric Burdon. Marti Webb. Bette Midler. Doris Day. Frank Sinatra. Paul Simon. Chris Rea. SADE.

just some from the top of my head, each and every one has staying power and is worth listening to over and over, and over.

Add Brook Benton, Nat King Cole. Judy Garland. Barbra Streisand.

yup, forgot Carole King and Carly Simon, and they bring me to James Taylor. the early years for those 3 were likely their best, and still worth listening to, over and over!

Thanks Experiencer7 for bringing them to mind.

Just off the top of my head: Geoff Tate (Queensryche) Rob Halford (wicked range!) Aretha Franklin, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne, Dennis DeYoung (Styx) Simon and Garfunkel (it's all about perfect harmony,) Peggy Lee, Etta James and on and on...there must be hundreds more that I really like.

Enrico Caruso was the greatest vocalist there ever was and ever will be. In addition to his unearthly vocal talent, he was a pioneer in the music recording industry, of which all of these other contemporary upstarts are the beneficiaries of :)

Carusophonograph.jpg
caruso-wing-collar.jpg

keller.jpg

Caruso with Hellen Keller​

In my opinion, therefore the correct opinion ;) you are all wrong, the best voice that has existed to date is that of Amelita Galli Curci.

Even better than Judy Collins.

Here's a link:

If it doesn't work just search youtube for Amelita and La Danza.

Lemmy

Hey Gareth, remember what I said about

Life is just a bowl of fuckin cherries,

When used as a mental count for anything 5/4. Well here's a great example, check what he does at 1.48secs. Besides that this man deserves a mention.

Mark

Some of my faves are, in no particular order:

Chris Cornell, James Otto, Stevie wonder, Eddie Vedder, Juliette Lewis, Jim Morrison, Robert Plant, Ozzy, Myles Kennedy (Alter bridge), Bonnie Raitt, Andrea Bocelli, Beth Orton, Danny Bowes, ...To name a few:)

Here are two more excellent singers, 1st Helen Kane (shamefully ripped off as Betty Boop)

2nd is Cliff Edwards (Ukulele Ike) probably remembered now only as the voice of Jiminy Cricket in Disney's Pinocchio.

And how could I forget Darlene Edwards?

Lemmy

Yma Sumac should be on the list.

Yma Sumac recorded an extraordinarily wide vocal range of more than four octaves from B2 to C♯7 (approximately 123 to 2270 Hz). She was able to sing notes in the low baritone register as well as notes above the range of an ordinary soprano. Both low and high extremes can be heard in the song Chuncho (The Forest Creatures) (1953). She was also apparently able to sing in an eerie "double voice".[13]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1KprLT-JxPY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1KprLT-JxPY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back