• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

"The Gold Standard"

Free episodes:

cottonzway

I was saying boo-urns
Please take this as a bit of humor, Gene and David, as this comment is more about my dealings with that terminology then a criticism of the show using it.
I heard the recent term used in the Paracast ads using the term “The Gold Standard” and it made me cringe. Why would that make me have that reaction? It’s a little off the beaten path, so follow along.

I am a life-long Philadelphia Eagles fan. I was born in South Philly and I an avid sports fan. The Eagles have been a really good team the last decade, winning their division often and making the playoffs often. What they have not done is win “the big game” that their loyal fans are looking for. No Super Bowl.

A few years ago, after LOSING the SB to the New England Patriots Eagles owner Jeffry Lurie started to use the term that the Eagles were the “Gold Standard” of the NFL. Now, understand again how rabid Philadelphia sports fans are and how up until last year with the Phillies the city had now won a major sports championship in roughly 25 years. The LAST thing you tell your fan base if that you are the GOLD STANDARD of the NFL when you choke the big game over and over again. It’s adding insult to injury.

Now when I hear that term I cringe as it was so badly misused by the Eagles. I don’t know if there is another Eagles fan among us here, but I am sure some football fans have heard the Eagles use this and also heard the distain of it in how it relates to their fanbase hating the term.

Again, this is more of me sharing a personal story then complaining. I just hate the term.

:)

I, too, cringe when I hear the term "Gold Standard," but it has nothing to do with sports. As far as metals go, I'm betting on copper and lead.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I suggest....
icy_hot_stuntaz.jpg

:D

There has to be a football fan here that has heard the Eagles use this? Otherwise I look like a dick who made that all up. :cool:

For proof:

http://kevinmcguire.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-eagles-can-be-gold-standard.html

Back