• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

'The Fourth Kind' is really terrible

Gareth

Nothin' to see here
Anyone else seen this? It seems to me a like film that doesn't really know what it is, while at the same time tries to be all things to all people and ends up pleasing NO ONE.

The general public will be confused as fuck with all the references to owls and the constant insistence that "this all really happened".

And abduction/UFO buffs will just be annoyed at all the inconsistencies the film presents that just don't show up in any of the abduction literature at all. People literally disappearing? Err, no, not as far as I'm aware.

Yet another blown opportunity. I guess it was always going to be this way when you have the backing of a big company. Want something done right, do it Indy.

That's a shame.

When reading about all the pre-release hype I wondered if the plot might have been influenced by the events in Colares, Brazil.

Oh well. More crap.

The audio work?

Because I thought that whole guttural speech that was supposed to be Sumerian was pretty lame. Again this was a case where the UFO people would see that and initially get a kick out of the Sumerian reference, and then get annoyed at the implication that that sort of thing EVER happens in the abduction literature. AFAIK it never has.

And then I'm sure the non-UFO people just wouldn't see the point of the Sumerian connection and it would completely go over their heads.

I realise it was a movie, and movies are about entertainment. But when the thing purports to be indicative of the typical abduction scenario it's disingenuous to inject all this stuff.

My fav part of the film was when the credits rolled, they played about 5 or 6 mins of (what sounded like) actual UFO audio reports. Not sure where they got them from but it was the best part of the movie for me. Hopefully a lot of the audience stuck around for that at the cinemas around the world.

My fav part of the film was when the credits rolled, they played about 5 or 6 mins of (what sounded like) actual UFO audio reports. Not sure where they got them from but it was the best part of the movie for me. Hopefully a lot of the audience stuck around for that at the cinemas around the world.

I think they hoped to get UFO fans into the theater with this piece of dreck. I'm not at all inclined to want to see it.

I usually prefer to make up my own mind but I am deliberately going to avoid the The Fourth Kind, based on what I've heard. No point in paying to get annoyed.

But I had fun watching "The Fifth Element."

One of my all-time favorites :)
I also kind of liked "The Story of Joan of Arc", though I liked Dustin better Mila :D

I told you that any movie starring Mila is bound to be a failure.

I think... maybe not "any" but for sure "many". For one thing I remember walking away after about 11.5 minutes of "Ultraviolet"..

The audio work?

Yes, the audio work at the nearing the end of the film...regardless of what language it was supposed to be. I only saw it once and fell asleep half way but woke during the end and found it really interesting with my eyes closed. It actually gave me ideas and helped me relate more to a lecturer I once had who's work revolved around audio more than video. Kind of like the same way The Exorcist scared people with its audio more than the visuals. Anyway....

I think i'm the odd one out here. I liked the Movie. As long as you treat it as Just a movie, then it did no more damage to uofology or the study of anything paranormal than the rubbish that is pumped out daily on the box. We are all here because we are intertested in this subject. I do not beleive ANY film can be made that does this subject real justice. Threre are so many cases and evidence it is impossible imo to do it right. People go to the movies to relax and put things on the back burner for a while. We are all treated like weirdo's really for being into this and that is the category we are put in, like it or not.
If it is based on truth or just made up who really cares?
Cheers John.

The Exorcist scared people with its audio more than the visuals. Anyway....
I saw it in a theater with a really good sound-system and one of my "friends" had slipped me a hit of acid without my knowing. I have to admit that the audio was freaking me the "F" out. I understand that visually I'm looking at foam-rubber, corn-syrup, food-coloring, and split-pea soup, but the audio in that flick will just crawl right up your spine before you even notice it was there.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I saw it in a theater with a really good sound-system and one of my "friends" had slipped me a hit of acid without my knowing. I have to admit that the audio was freaking me the "F" out. I understand that visually I'm looking at foam-rubber, corn-syrup, food-coloring, and split-pea soup, but the audio in that flick will just crawl right up your spine before you even notice it was there.

Acid and horror movies - a really bad combination :)

I feel this way about a lot of movies that are supposed to "based on a true story", if they just left that part out and tried making a creepy movie they would've been much better off. Plus I can't stand when they break the fourth wall in a movie and take themselves so seriously addressing the audience...

I feel this way about a lot of movies that are supposed to "based on a true story", if they just left that part out and tried making a creepy movie they would've been much better off. Plus I can't stand when they break the fourth wall in a movie and take themselves so seriously addressing the audience...

Well, the 1950's science fiction film, "Earth Versus the Flying Saucers," was based on a factual UFO book -- from Major Donald Keyhoe. All it takes is a basic concept and a few vague ideas from a book or event to have it "based on a true story." Remember that the "Law & Order" TV series and its spinoffs are "ripped from the headlines." :)

Back