• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
I don't know how long this will last, or in what countries outside of the U.S. it's offered, but YouTube is offering the original 1951 classic sci-fi film, "The Day the Earth Stood Still" free with ads.

This movie heavily influenced the culture in the UFO field, particularly contactees.

Note: You have to click on the link to see it. It will not play elsewhere.

It was directed by Robert Wise, famous for "The Sound of Music" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture," who also believed in UFOs.

I don't know how long this will last, or in what countries outside of the U.S. it's offered, but YouTube is offering the original 1951 classic sci-fi film, "The Day the Earth Stood Still" free with ads.

This movie heavily influenced the culture in the UFO field, particularly contactees.

It was directed by Robert Wise, famous for "The Sound of Music" and "Star Trek: The Motion Picture," who also believed in UFOs.
Yea it's available in the UK

I am fascinated by the fact that the troops are closing in on Klaatu on Connecticut Avenue, in Washington, D.C. That's not far from where Major Keyhoe's NICAP, one of the major UFO clubs back in the 1950s and 1960s, was located.

Yea it's available in the U
Terrific. Obviously it has early 1950s cultural sensibilities, but it still conveyed a powerful message.
Yes it did and I have to say I don't think the remake did in the way Michael Rennie's version does.

Gene just a foot note if you look for rocket reel cinema on you tube you can watch the original Captain Marvel movie serial when Billy Batson was Captain Marvel and not Shazam.

Yes, and the scorpion villain character was based on material written by Otto Binder in the comic books. Binder later was co-creator of Supergirl for DC.

I've seen that serial twice already, plus some of the chapters in a movie theater when I was a preteen.

For its time, the flying scenes were quite decent. They used similar technology for the Rocket Man and Commando Cody serials. The special effects were created by Theodore and Howard Lydecker, relying heavily on models.

I just checked the video link, Gene, and it's not available anymore, or maybe just not in Europe. But this works (free access):

BTW, I have the DVD. It may still be round.

Back