• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Bloop!

Free versions of recent episodes:

Rudenoodle

Paranormal Novice
The Bloop is the name given to an ultra-low frequency underwater sound detected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration several times during the summer of 1997. The source of the sound remains unknown.

Analysis
The sound, traced to somewhere around 50° S 100° W (South American southwest coast), was detected repeatedly by the Equatorial Pacific Ocean autonomous hydrophone array, which uses U.S. Navy equipment originally designed to detect Soviet submarines. According to the NOAA description, it "rises rapidly in frequency over about one minute and was of sufficient amplitude to be heard on multiple sensors, at a range of over 5,000 km." Though it matches the audio profile of a living creature, there is no known animal that could have produced the sound. If it is an animal, it would have to be, reportedly, much larger than even a Blue Whale, according to scientists who have studied the phenomenon.

So, the bloop (50°S 100°W? / ?-50, -100) is near Point Nemo, an oceanic pole of inaccessibility (48°50?S 123°20?W? / ?-48.833, -123.333).

In popular culture
Because the Bloop noise originated near the location of the fictional sunken city of R'lyeh from H.P. Lovecraft's story "The Call of Cthulhu", the Bloop has been linked to Cthulhu by Lovecraft fans.[2] In the alternate reality game promoting the movie, the Bloop was also linked to the monster from Cloverfield[3] The Bloop was seen in The Loch by Steve Alten as the call of an undiscovered species of giant eel,[4] as well as in Frank Schätzing's novel The Swarm as the speech of the intelligent species, the Yrr.[5]. The title track from Dntel's 2001 album Life Is Full of Possibilities repeats a sample of the Bloop sound set to music.
from wiki

Has anyone heard of any new developments in this? I find it very interesting.

i think i've heard that sound in the bathtub before lol! my saltwater fishtank sometimes does this, tho there's nothing "bloopie" in there....maybe it's just a natural thing

As a major Lovecraft Fan, I'm into this Bloop thing. It would be really cool if there was some kind of netherworldly creatures living on the bottom of the ocean, just waiting to rise.

The down side though, is that the coastal cities will get eaten up first. I thank God I live in the middle of the continent.

I hated the hell out of Cloverfield (all style over substance), but I've been intiruged by The Bloop for a long time now. I heard the noise played on some show about deep sea mysteries. They said the sound was 10x the size of the sound made by the largest animal on earth the blue whale. Blue whales run 100 feet in ength. That would make whatever made the bloop 1000 feet long.

The mind boggles. I guess that's why they keep sayng we know more about outer space and what's there then we do inner space (the oceans) and what's there.

Scary thought, really.

Dee

As a major Lovecraft Fan, I'm into this Bloop thing. It would be really cool if there was some kind of netherworldly creatures living on the bottom of the ocean, just waiting to rise.

The down side though, is that the coastal cities will get eaten up first. I thank God I live in the middle of the continent.

You bastard! :)
Our cities are nearly all coastal (including the one I'm freezing in at the moment).

Given the location of the Bloop the obvious comment on the matter is "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Also time for gratuitous Tennyson quote:
Below the thunders of the upper deep;
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee
About his shadowy sides; above him swell
Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;
And far away into the sickly light,
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumber'd
and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.
There hath he lain for ages, and will lie
Battening upon huge seaworms in his sleep,
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.

"That is not dead which eternal lie........"
Also thankful I'm a landlubber myself Tommy.
I have to admit, this bloop is compelling. That it's characteristics have all the hallmarks of something biological is profound!
In lieu of some recent Game testing I did for an RPG, called "Strange Aeons" , a game steeped in Eldritch horror, I found myself immersed again in the literature of Lovecraft.
So using Cthulu-Wiki , I found the co-ordinates that LOvecraft describes.R'lyeh

R'lyeh is in the middle of one of the biggest patches of empty ocean on Earth.
R'lyeh (pronounced Roo-lee-ah or Rill-AYE-eh) is a fictional city that first appeared in the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. R'lyeh is a sunken city deep under the Pacific Ocean where the godlike being Cthulhu resides. R'lyeh is characterized by an architecture based on non-Euclidean geometry.
Coordinates of Latitude 47° 9′ S, Longitude 126° 43′ W have been stated by Lovecraft but never successfully investigated. August Derleth used the coordinates of S. Latitude 49° 51′ S, Longitude 128° 34′ W in his own writings. These coordinates place the city 5100 nautical miles (5900 statute miles, 9500 kilometers), about ten days' journey for a fast ship, from Pohnpei (Ponape), an actual island of the area, which consequently plays a part in the Cthulhu Mythos as the origin of the "Ponape Scripture", a text describing Cthulhu.
In Lovecraft's fictional Cthulhu Mythos, the most ubiquitous liturgical phrase is "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!" -- "In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits [or lies] dreaming."
In 1997 Navy sensors detected a very large noise (being picked up on two different sensors 3000 miles apart) being produced at Latitude 50° S, Longitude 120° W. This sound (now known as 'Bloop') is not thought to correspond to any known living or non-living source, and as such, remains unexplained.
[edit]

So, there a real sound coming from the ocean or this is all made up by some people? There is information in goverment pages? Also, tantacles for all:my:

The Great Old Ones are coming, yay:D. But I have a question, Cthulhu is an Old One himself or a great priest of them, I've saw that discussion in several forums.

Back