• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Best Superman Theme?

Which Superman theme do you prefer?

• Total voters
In the end its about you like the old stuff or the new stuff.
John Williams is one of the great composers of our age... Just thinking Leia's Theme..
Its like do you like the new Star Trek movies?

Well, I thought Superman: The Movie was a mixed bag. Reeve's Clark Kent was just too goofy; the villains too over-the-top. I prefer the way that Tyler Hoechlin portrays Kent in his appearances on the "Supergirl" TV show (a "Superman & Lois" show comes in January). He's also got that twinkle in his eye that reminds me of the 1950's Superman, George Reeves.

That said, Henry Cavill is quite good and very dedicated to the role, although his Kent is a little bland.

Point here, too, is that the Williams theme is uplifting, typical of some of his others. Hans Zimmer approaches super heroes themes as darker.

I wonder what theme The CW will use when they bring Superman on; or will they use the the theme that was used in his Supergirl appearances.

Heh, my Superman series thoughts were always on the "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman", that was a cute show.
Never liked this new "Supergirl".
Maybe future brings better...

Ah yes, "Lois and Clark."

Bryce Zabel, a friend of the show, worked on "Lois and Clark" during its early years.

I liked Lois and Clark, but felt Dean Cain's voice was a little thin for Superman. He could have used a little training.

Hans Zimmer has a more melancholy theme, particularly the "Clark Kent" music during the first part.
I was thinking that Williams' version is just a spinoff of the Star Wars theme, which makes sense because they're both written by him. Star Wars in 1963 and Superman 1978. Williams' version may seem more uplifting, but Zimmer, in my subjective opinion, has more depth of expression. I would also question @randelsmith's claim to Williams' version being more "dynamic".

If by dynamic, we mean something analogous to "dynamic range" in HDR photography, which would translate into finely textured audio detail at both low and high volumes, Zimmer clearly comes out ahead, but maybe we're talking about different kinds of "dynamics". Zimmer's work is on a whole other level ( But maybe I need more exposure to Williams ). Both are certainly legendary in their own right.

Hans Zimmer. Amazing Czarina Russel in Now we are free (Gladiator)

Last edited:
This track, from a live concert featuring Zimmer and a host of classical and electronic musicians, demonstrates just what an elaborate production the "Man of Steel" theme was:

This track, from a live concert featuring Zimmer and a host of classical and electronic musicians, demonstrates just what an elaborate production the "Man of Steel" theme was:
Yes. Zimmer has taken the artform to new heights. He's only in his early 60s too, so he still has more time to evolve. Nice find for the video too !

Back