• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Suburb Ghosts

BrandonD

Skilled Investigator
Ok here's an old story I don't think I've told yet:

I was about 16 years old, and I was babysitting for someone who lived down the street from me. I was babysitting a boy who was only a few years younger than me, and a toddler who was about 3.

We were all out in the backyard playing with a soccer ball, when both the older boy and I heard the sound of footsteps stomping upstairs in the house. In hindsight I wonder how we could've heard footsteps while outside, but that's what we both heard.

Anyway, we went into his house and we heard what sounded like someone upstairs. We grabbed some of those tools off the fireplace, and we started to walk up the stairs.

The staircase was the kind that has a bend halfway up, and we stopped there and listened. In the older boy's bedroom we could hear papers being shuffled around, and in the bathroom we could hear the sink being turned on and off repeatedly.

We were really scared, we just stood there for a little while and then we decided to go find an adult.

As soon as we got outside we saw that the next-door neighbor was watering his lawn. We went up and told him someone was in the house, and he came with us up the stairs. No one was there, and no sounds were heard. He said maybe we were just reading too many comic books.

This house was a relatively new suburb house, obviously with no history of hauntings or anything like that. I think this might have been the case of a poltergeist-type phenomenon associated with that older boy. Don't ask me why I think it was associated with that older boy, just my hunch.

If I were to chronicle all of the "ghostly" crap I had to deal with growing up (across the street from a cemetery, in a 100 year old house) I would run out of paper. It actually got to the point that I would just yell at them to "Knock it off!"
Sounds silly but it seemed to work...sometimes at least.

Hi, here is one of the stranger ghost experiences I've had:

This was back when I was in high school, I was babysitting for a neighbor. There were 2 kids, one was about 13 and the other was about 5 (I was mainly sitting for the 5 year old).

Well it was late in the day and we were out in the back yard playing soccer, when I suddenly heard someone stomping around upstairs inside the house. It seems odd in hindsight that we were able to hear someone walking around from out in the back yard, but we did. So the older sibling (named Dennis) and I went inside, we still heard the footsteps so we grabbed those tools from the fireplace and quietly walked up the stairs.

These were the type of steps that had a little flat space halfway up where the stairs changed direction, and we stopped at this halfway point and listened. From here we could hear someone shuffling around through papers in Dennis' room, and we could hear the faucet in the bathroom being turned repeatedly on and off. We were both frozen with fear and couldn't bring ourselves to walk up the rest of the way. We went back downstairs and outside, where we found the neighbor dad standing outside. We told him that someone had broken into the house, and he immediately followed us in.

We followed him up the stairs, and no one was there. Nothing had been taken, and nothing in the rooms had been disturbed. He said to us, "I think you guys have been reading too many comic books," and he went back next door.

After he left, we sat there and tried to think of a rational explanation for these strange events. If it was an actual human break-in, it was at least 2 people, they didn't take anything, and they managed to sneak out of the house unseen in the little space of time where we found the next door neighbor. And who the heck would break into a house to turn a faucet repeatedly on and off?

Dennis told me that he has had paranormal experiences before involving poltergeist-type phenomena, and this certainly seemed like one of them. It could've been a perfectly executed prank of some kind, but it really didn't seem like it.

Hi Brandon,

Just found that whilst looking for something I had written ages ago, that so closely resembles what you recount that I was rather shocked. If I find it I will let you know,
if I dont then I need to speak to you.

Mark

Hi Brandon,

Just found that whilst looking for something I had written ages ago, that so closely resembles what you recount that I was rather shocked. If I find it I will let you know,
if I dont then I need to speak to you.

Mark

No problem just PM me, I check up here fairly often. :)

Back