• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Street Light Interference

J.T.

Maybe Logic
OK. I don't think this is paranormal, but I don't think it has been explained or properly acknowledged, so maybe worth a mention for the curious.

When I walk (or drive) under lit streetlights, there's an unusually good chance that one of them will blink out as I come to close proximity. I remember as a kid of 4-6 yrs old (mid 70s) first noticing this as we drove on a highway at night, and I'd stick my head into the back of the car and look at the lights flow by in a steady progression. Every few minutes one of them would blink out as we passed underneath. I remember this clearly, though I just filed it away as a peculiar little detail which would be repeated as I grew older.

In early 1990's as I started an office job, I'd walk across a well lit bridge twice a day. During wintertime the lights would be on both in the morning and the evening, and within those 10 times I'd pass a specific light during each week, it would blink out 3-4 times as I walked underneath it. This made me finally aware of the fact that streetlights (no other lights are susceptible to this) occasionally have a problem with me.

When I moved from Europe to the US in 2000, and got married, I haven't come across another 'sensitive' light like that, but they still blink out on a regular basis. My wife made fun of it when I told her a few years back, and I'd sometimes point out lights going out as we drove underneath them. Earlier this month downtown Asheville we were walking to our car under a solitary streetlight in a dark little alley, she too was won over when it blinked out as we approached it. "Don't do that," was her half-jokey comment.

Anybody else have experiences with this phenomenon?

Damn, thanks. I feel slightly more dumb than usual not looking that up before posting the above -- I have looked the phenom up previously and found some goofy videos on youtube. I used to read Evans' stuff in Fortean Times back in the 90's, and am a fan of the works Anomalist releases... no excuses not to buy it, then.

I've had streetlights go off when I pass under them. It has happened rarely, but it's been at very curious moments, enough that the whole experience feels a little more profound.

I've written about these events on my blog.

LINK:
hidden experience: street lights

Damn, thanks. I feel slightly more dumb than usual not looking that up before posting the above -- I have looked the phenom up previously and found some goofy videos on youtube. I used to read Evans' stuff in Fortean Times back in the 90's, and am a fan of the works Anomalist releases... no excuses not to buy it, then.

No problem, I only know about it as it was mentioned on the Anomalist the other day. I'm sure I've also seen it discussed either on the Fortean Times letters page and/or message board.

OK. I don't think this is paranormal, but I don't think it has been explained or properly acknowledged, so maybe worth a mention for the curious.

When I walk (or drive) under lit streetlights, there's an unusually good chance that one of them will blink out as I come to close proximity. I remember as a kid of 4-6 yrs old (mid 70s) first noticing this as we drove on a highway at night, and I'd stick my head into the back of the car and look at the lights flow by in a steady progression. Every few minutes one of them would blink out as we passed underneath. I remember this clearly, though I just filed it away as a peculiar little detail which would be repeated as I grew older.

In early 1990's as I started an office job, I'd walk across a well lit bridge twice a day. During wintertime the lights would be on both in the morning and the evening, and within those 10 times I'd pass a specific light during each week, it would blink out 3-4 times as I walked underneath it. This made me finally aware of the fact that streetlights (no other lights are susceptible to this) occasionally have a problem with me.

When I moved from Europe to the US in 2000, and got married, I haven't come across another 'sensitive' light like that, but they still blink out on a regular basis. My wife made fun of it when I told her a few years back, and I'd sometimes point out lights going out as we drove underneath them. Earlier this month downtown Asheville we were walking to our car under a solitary streetlight in a dark little alley, she too was won over when it blinked out as we approached it. "Don't do that," was her half-jokey comment.

Anybody else have experiences with this phenomenon?

I've heard people who experience that also experience interference with electronics, seemingly just because of their presence. They sometimes call themselves "electric people."

This experience is also shared by people who experience organized stalking and electronic harassment. To learn more:

http://www.stopos.info/os.pdf

sciurus

Back