• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Strange Bugs of Florida

Cpowell0203

Paranormal Novice
Ever since the unannounced rocket launch in Florida a month or so ago. A friend has been complaining that strange centipedes have been showing up everywhere. At a regular occurrence they are complaining about them. So I asked for a photo of them and got it. Wondering what everyone thinks about it or if anyone else has seen this as well.

Trigoniulus corallinus or Rusty Millipede:
millipede_20121022.jpg

This is not a "Native" species:

Trigoniulus corallinus, sometimes called the rusty millipede, is a species of millipede native to the area around Thailand and Myanmar. It is also found in North America, as an introduced species. These millipedes inhabit moist areas, rotten wood and compost.

((source)): Trigoniulus corallinus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Further Florida sighting here:
Rusty Millipede - What's That Bug?

I don't know why exactly but insects like millipedes really give me the willies. There are reams of other insects that don't bother me one jot but I think something about a snake-like movement coupled with legs uncountable - yuk basically!

I don't know why exactly but insects like millipedes really give me the willies. There are reams of other insects that don't bother me one jot but I think something about a snake-like movement coupled with legs uncountable - yuk basically!

I wonder what they think when they see you? ;)

Seriously though: my belief is that it is quite normal to be afraid of certain types of creatures, these phobias are probably evolutionary "hangovers".
What is fascinating is how these phobias can manifest themselves in very unexpected ways, for example being afraid of spiders but not of flies.
When you think about it: a lot more people must get sick or die because of flies than spiders.

Here is a website about Rusty Millipedes in Florida:
Millipede season | Benweb 3.2

The following is taken from the comments section at the bottom of the page:

Question (posted on the 4th of November 2014): We live in Vero Beach and this is the first year we’ve seen an enormous increase of them. Is there a season – i.e. will they be around a month from now?

Answer: They tend to be seen the most during the humid months; as the humidity drops, they tend to burrow deeper into the leaf litter and soil. So I would expect, although I don’t know for sure, that you won’t see them as much in December.

Back