• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Stoern

Rob

No UFOs
Any of you guys following this company in Ireland... ?
Steorn

"Orbo is the brand name of our free energy technology. Orbo is a technology that produces free, clean and constant energy. It can be applied to power products ranging from portable music players to cars."

Rob said:
Any of you guys following this company in Ireland... ?
Steorn

"Orbo is the brand name of our free energy technology. Orbo is a technology that produces free, clean and constant energy. It can be applied to power products ranging from portable music players to cars."

There have been claims of this sort over the years, none of which have borne fruit.

So, without more than a cursory glance at the site, I remain curious but unconvinced. Anyone have any information to offer?

I've been following these guys over the past few months. They'd posted an ad in one of the issues of Economist magazine a while back claiming that they'd invented a free energy device the mechanics of which were not understood by conventional physics and they were seeking a group of scientists and engineers who could study the device and explain the physics behind it.

It's true that there were many such claims made in the past and none of them have ever borne any fruit or just turned out to be bogus. I'm hopeful that these guys are on to something, but remain somewhat skeptical.

If anybody is interested, there are various sites dedicated to alternative energy and free energy technologies. The two that are a good starting point are: www.zpenergy.com, www.freeenergynews.com

If what Steorn claims turns out to be true, the world is about to undergo a radical technological transformation...

Since there is basically no stopping them now if it's real, they will probably mysteriously all die in car accidents.. The fact that they challenged scientists of the world to come test it I have found interesting. I get the impression that they themselves have no doubts of their machine's ability. But if it's really so obvious, then why the 1 year testing period? Of course I don't know the details of what they need to test but it just seems weird that it would take that long for 10 scientists to test if a device is gathering energy from something (other than zero point) or not.

They're claiming on their site that the forum through which they will be distributing the technology to development and engineering firms is going on trial with 200 users...whatever that means.

I also wish that they wouldn't wait a year to validate it and just disseminate the technology to developers throughout the world and let them validate... well, I guess they know better.

One thing is sure, if this technology is real, there is a lot of very powerful and influential people that will be hurt by it. I don't want to make it sound like a conspiracy theory but my guess is that things are probably in motion to prevent this device from ever seeing the light of day.

C'mon people . . . you've got to be kidding.

Look at their investor page.

Investor Relations
Steorn is a private limited Irish company. Shares in the company are not publicly traded. Due to the contentious nature of our technology claim the company made a decision that during the process of validation we would seek no further funding. A brief summary of our annual accounts is shown below:

Profit & Loss
Year to 31 December (Net Revenues/Fees Earned)
2001 - 415,415
2002 - 387,193
2003 - 305,105
2004 - 89,424
2005 - 1000
2006 - (none reported)

They've seen their earnings go from $415k to $1000 or less.
They're claiming they're not seeking more funding due to the 'contentious nature of their claim'. Can anyone name another business that seeks no funding regardless of their claims?

They've also operated at a net loss for five of the six years they've been in business. This is all according to their own site. I imagine looking at outside sources of information will further verify what a sham this site is.

The company whose finances is crashing through the floor does not have the free energy device. The breifest glance at this page is all you need to see that.

These guys are gonna disappear all right . . . and it will have nothing to do with their fantasy technology.

-DBTrek

If they truly have the devise, I'd probably think that they've got all the investors that they need at the moment and probably woudn't need anymore. I mean, they're gonna make gazillions if their claim is true.

But who knows...you may very well be right. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. There has been a lot of claims like this one and all of them have turned out to be a scam, that's why I'm kind of skeptical on this one too. But I hope to be proven wrong.

Very interesting. Energy generation technology licensed under a GPL? It must run Linux or some other open source software. Hope they can make it through validation before the bank accounts run dry.

Interestingly, I have confirmed a long held law of physics today. You know, the one that says b.s. can only change form, but, cannot be created or destroyed. Yes, it is true. All the b.s that exists in our universe has been the same since the Big Bang up to the very moment you are reading this.

DBTrek, could you please enlighten us as to what you think Steorn's game is then? Why take out an expensive ad in the Economist? Why establish a panel of scientists to investigate their technology and, later, publicly disclose what they've found? Why set themselves up for all this attention if they know they'll be exposed as frauds in the end?

Seriously, if you have any insights into what you seem to think is a big farce, please share.

Update on Steorn's validation process, a new five minute video online Friday the 13th April.

Video on their site here.

Personally, I'm both excited and skeptical about their claims. I'm not scientifically trained, I only have a gut opinion, but the confidence of Steorn's CEO Sean McCarthy is rather encourageing.

Thanks much for posting. The company's approach reminds me a bit of Blacklight Power, in that they appeal to the scientific community for validation, yet say very little about the principles behind their proposed technologies. Blacklight Power had impressive write-ups in the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, and BBC Focus Science and Technology Monthly - however, nothing tangible happened thereafter.

BLP | Electrical Power from Water Vapor Fuel
http://www.blacklightpower.com/press.shtml

From the little information that is available on their site, Orbo seems to be based on the use of permanent magnets, which spin and release a certain amount of free energy in the process. Nothing new here - Troy Reed produced several magnetic power generators, and even converted a car for running on electricity, derived from spinning magnets. The principles behind magnetic motors have been around for a while, however no-one, so far, has managed to deliver a product. Steorn seem to have decided to first create massive publicity for themselves, which should insulate them, to a certain degree, from attacks by vested interests. Establishing scientific credibility also absolves them from a need to manufacture any kind of product, but ensures that they will be taken seriously by prospective investors. They appear to aim for licensing an idea, rather than a product, which keeps cost down, while promising enormous returns.

It would be fantastic if they could get it to work - magnetic motors are much preferable, even over the best, clean internal combustion engines, or fuel cells.

Reed Magnetic Motor

Latest update, failed demo in London last week. From Steorn's site:

Steorn announcement: Kinetica Demonstration
Further to Steorn’s announcement yesterday (5th July) regarding the technical difficulties experienced during the installation of its “Orbo” technology at the Kinentica Museum in London, Steorn has decided to postpone the demonstration until further notice.

Sean McCarthy CEO stated that “technical problems arose during the installation of the demonstration unit in the display case on Wednesday evening. These problems were primarily due to excessive heat from the lighting in the main display area. Attempts to replace those parts affected by the heat led to further failures and as a result we have to postpone the public demonstration until a future date.”

He continued that “we apologise for the inconvenience caused to all the people who had made arrangements to visit the demonstration or were planning on viewing the demonstration online.”

Over the next few weeks the company will explore alternative dates for the public demonstration.

Sounds pretty amateurish to me.
For those interested, their forum: http://www.steorn.net/forum/

Back