• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Steve Bassett and two part shows

And now the double post... Bassett is great with the Utopian theorizing, but man alive is he not recognizing the human factor. Fundamentalist religious leaders will not be hunky-dory with integrating alien parents into their scheme. For more on that, see the Christian resistance to evolution. They could very easily say "God created this mechanism." But no, they go with what's in the bible. They are LITERALISTS and they will die for their lack of ability to recognize metaphor.

For more on that in a different direction, see how the Iraqis did not throw flowers at our soldiers' feet when we killed Saddam.

Humans don't just suddenly and easily wake up and move on to the next level in consciousness because they are presented with new information. They fight for what they "know" because that is how they identify themselves. Bassett is saying they'd have little problem reorganizing that identity or obliterating it all together. If that were the case we'd never identify with anything made up in the first place.

EDIT: In fact, this is the liberal fallacy - That if we just explain stuff to people who don't know they'll get it and join us. But that doesn't happen, which is why environmentalists were mere "tree-hugging hippies" until the ice actually started to melt and a giant hurricane destroyed New Orleans and why Bush could win twice against any thinking/caring person's better judgement.

Basset's arguments were difficult for me to follow because his rapid fire patois delivery is often incomprehensible. I had to replay several of his comments to make sure I understood what he was saying. When I finally did manage to make sense of his arguments, I found myself disagreeing with almost everything he said.
One of his observations seems to me to perfectly underscore the essential fallacy of the predictions he makes: that those government agencies and personnel that are most opposed to disclosure are a tumor on the body politic. Wrong. They are the body politic.
His praise for Barak Obamma's choice of Zbigniew Brzezinski as an advisor is another telling gaffe. It's Brzezinski who formulated the current disastrous American global foreign policy, not Paul Wolfowitz and his pack of neocon war mongers. Brzezinski's strategies are clearly delineated in The Geostrategic Triad and The Grand Chessboard. Chessboard was published in 1997, and there we can discover the details of the imbroglio we are presently mired in, down to finest details, including the necessity of an attack against the United States to justify war with oil rich Eurasian nations. Those two works are the Mein Kampf of the Bush administration.
Basset's belief that disclosure will herald in a golden age of international co-operation on issues of global overpopulation, free energy and the release of captured alien technology is a pipe dream. If disclosure were to happen tomorrow, the effects on most of the world would be minimal. Africa and mainland Asia wouldn't give a damn. They're too busy trying to find something to eat. South Americans would create some interesting new cults based upon spirit contact with aliens. We in the west would be swamped with screaming "news" broadcasts for a month or so that would gradually degenerate into alien sex jokes by late night television comedians. Muslims and fundamentalist Christians will dismiss it all as the work of demons.
And if the "aliens" decide to make contact then, we'd all better be extremely cautious, especially when it comes to accepting claims that they genetically engineered humanity. Always remember that theses beings are pathological liars, and nothing they say can be trusted. Ever.

Mogwa said:
. Muslims and fundamentalist Christians will dismiss it all as the work of demons.

and thats where it will go wrong, these people will physically attack locations where they think the "devils spawn" are.

and they will do so with the same ferver and twisted justification as the hijackers did when they crashed passenger jets into the World Trade towers.

suicide bombers for jesus..........

welcome to the brave new world

Mogwa Wrote:

"One of his observations seems to me to perfectly underscore the essential fallacy of the predictions he makes: that those government agencies and personnel that are most opposed to disclosure are a tumor on the body politic. Wrong. They are the body politic."

Bingo. That's just it. He thinks these thoughts, these memes, these ways of doing things are removed from the people acting on them. These aren't decisions in the same way "Do I want a hamburger or a hot dog" are decisions. We're talking about how people see themselves and, by extension, how the institutions that they RUN AND ARE see themselves. From that view they act in the world. I work for run-of-the-mill egomaniacal rich people. The snobbery here isn't a thought, it wafts from them. You can tell just by walking into the room that you're not welcome and you are less than they are in their view. That view IS them. Now people with more money and real power enter the room. I'll bet that would seem alien to all of us. David Icke is right metaphorically: These people are lizards.

Telling us aliens are here wouldn't take a change in policy, it would take a revolution in consciousness. Forget about all of the security implications and whether humanity is ready for it. It's a safe assumption that first and foremost in these peoples' minds is that we cattle don't deserve to know anything.

Two comments here:

DamnDirtyApe said:
Please point me to any fundamentalists roaming the local neighborhood with an AK47 and and RPG blowing shit up like you see Muslims doing in the Middle East. The nuts who ARE heavily armed here in America (like the cultists on those compounds) will have little interest in screwing with you - they will be busy stockpiling more food and guns.

While the latter point is true, it's worth noting that regarding the former point a good sized chunk of the christian fundamentaists are also BIG fans of the 2nd ammendment, so while they may not be walking around the street with their weapons, they could easily have them tucked away at home along with who knows what else. Mind you in the case of disclosure (and possible revelation), if they were to whip 'em out and start firing at UFOs, I doubt they'd accomplish much.

The point however is that fundamentalists of ANY STRIPE are not to be trusted, period. Anyone who has decided they will become ignorant voluntarily has IMHO ceased to be a human being and chosen to be a robot. It just so happens that in america the fundametalist soup de jour is usually christian so if they get a bum wrap, it's geography as far as I'm concerned, the religious leaning is of no consequence.

Besides, the fundamentalist christians hate the liberals just as much for their godless, hippie, lesbian, abortionist, tree-hugging ways so I'd say it's well balanced...

valiens said:
Did Bassett really say that small tech items like bullets are used for war but larger, more complicated tech, like nuclear energy, are used for good and bad at a 50/50 split? Did I hear that wrong? Does he take into account bunker busters which are, effectively, nukes?

I would say he's right but he's wrong. He's right in the fact that bullets are essentially useless for anything BUT killing however he's wrong because the proper comparison is between nuclear science and chemistry (in this case, gunpowder specifically) which can obviously be put to benefitial uses, so no points there Steve.

valiens said:
In fact, this is the liberal fallacy - That if we just explain stuff to people who don't know they'll get it and join us.

Exactly. It's one thing to tell someone something, it's an entirely different thing to expect them to accept it, believe it and incorporate it into their own lives on even a basic level. Talk about optimistic...

macavity said:
I find Steve to be a bit overly optimistic about goverment disclosure.

I second that with bells on, even assuming there's anything to disclose.

Personally I don't find Bassett particularly credible - he's waaaaaaaaaay too sure of himself for my liking - but it seems I'm in the minority around here...

Well in that case then, there are at least two of us in the minority :).

I find Steven Bassett excessively naive and optimistic. In fact through most of the last few interviews I've heard featuring him as guest, I've had this from 'Plan B from Outer Space' going through my head:

"Stupid ... stupid ... stupid" ... on constant and infinite repeat.

If he does reapppear on The Paracast, I hope Gene and Dave will be harder on him. I feel he got away with a lot of nonsense again in his interview this time, and needs to be tackled on his ideas regarding exopolitics etc which in my mind are rather naive, childish or just plain silly.

I dont think you will see "disclosure" until such time as the military has gained the technilogical capability to deal with these visitors , or at least exhausted every last avenue possible in that respect.

for as long as the visitors have the upper hand , the military will keep its research into the matter secret and in the black budget.

the necessity for doing so is further highlighted when considering the aspect of abductions from within your population over which you have no control.

in that scenario disinformation is a better tool to employ
the military has enough to worry about trying to get a handle on this problem, without the world going to hell in a handbasket as a result of disclosure as well.

DamnDirtyApe said:
"Set off?" What exactly are all these crazy fundamentalist christians going to do? I keep seeing Christians portrayed as some sort of enormous threat. That's laughable. How are they going to terrorize anything at all? This is not 15th century Spain where 99 percent of the population is dumb as dirt. Modern Christianity is so watered down and neutered it's a joke.

By "set off" I did not mean crazed militias or panicked crowds although there will likely be a few.
I think there will be a radical change of thought that occurs in many fundamentalist Christians where they will no longer see demons as spirit only but something more ultra Old Testament where they have physical form and rape humans.
It will be in their thoughts as if physical demons took seat in the skies above them.
This war with the "prince of the air" will become more solid for them.
It will spark bigotry that will look a little like this absurd crap in the USA with the neo cons versus "Muslim extremist terrorists" but five times worse.
There will be ignorant bigotry and presumptions about the visitors all over the media and especially in the churches.

I am not wrong. This is how it will be.
But I could be overestimating the intensity of the reaction.

Mogwa said:
If disclosure were to happen tomorrow, the effects on most of the world would be minimal. Africa and mainland Asia wouldn't give a damn. They're too busy trying to find something to eat. South Americans would create some interesting new cults based upon spirit contact with aliens. We in the west would be swamped with screaming "news" broadcasts for a month or so that would gradually degenerate into alien sex jokes by late night television comedians. Muslims and fundamentalist Christians will dismiss it all as the work of demons.
And if the "aliens" decide to make contact then, we'd all better be extremely cautious, especially when it comes to accepting claims that they genetically engineered humanity. Always remember that theses beings are pathological liars, and nothing they say can be trusted. Ever.

Unfortunately, there is probably a lot of truth to that. The more things change the more they stay the same or at least our ruling institutions stay the same.

If the UFO issue was disclosed in the manner that Basset described, I do think there would be a solid number of individuals who are changed on a personal level, but I"m not convinced anything short of facing the end of the world would drastically change our institutions, but I hope I'm wrong!

I think Steve is good guy and I applaud his effort and support the X conference the last couple years. But I disagree with many of his opinions as well. His delivery I think is misleading to those who aren't familiar with him.

He is very aggressive and opinionated but I think when asked, he is happy to admit that these are just his opinions and are not absolute facts. But the way he comes across sometimes is, "These are the facts etc.....", when in fact I think he needs to say, "This is my opinion....", but that's probably a result of his personality more than anything.

I think disclosure could be less profound and obvious then he thinks, rather than some particular earth shattering press conference, it could just be a gradual acceptance in the mass consciousness of pop culture. I don't think the democrats or republicans will touch this issue in a serious public manner for a long time, but it's nice to hear some optimism from Steve, I hope he is right!

Regarding religions, it's hard to tell. I actually have BA in Religion from a good school but I have no idea how it would work itself out since I have little experience dealing with fundamentalists having grown up in a very liberal area.

I think both the hard right fundamentalist christians and muslims may be more inclined to want to take a national security approach to any alien contact. "Let's nuke them back to their planet in the name of Jesus!! Yaaaaaaaa hooooooooo!".

I don't think non fundamentalists will be affected nearly as much nor do I think hard core Jews, Budhist, Hindus will be affected or the xmas going church attendees or liberal muslims.

I would never underesimate the power of fundamentalists ever ever ever!!!!! Just look at history and our present situation and there is not much else that needs to be said.

I will be attending the X-conference next weekend for one day, I"ll try and report back here on anything new I find.

Back