• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Starchild dream

Free episodes:

Raevenskye

Seer of All Things Spooky
Last night I dremed I "reconstituted" the Starchild in my bathtub by using water, DNA, and trail mix.....I've been spending too much time here! hehe

It was a weird amalgamation of mundane things: make trail mix...buy water, looking over my osteology notes...and starchild....ET might have been in there too, but I think it was really a gray with a cloak...I remember thinking in the middle of the dream that it was weird, and I was just too tired to fight it, so I went with it.
And..no..I don't think I was really abducted...I just think my brain translated my day into a very weird and exhausting dream :p

I'm glad dreams are weird to the waking mind. I think part of the reason for this, is so we don't confuse them with actual events. We know that we weren't standing ontop of a pyramid this week throwing pickles at talking trees as an example. Yet if we have a dream that isn't weird, in time we get confused as to whether or not it actually happened in physical reality.

A.LeClair said:
I'm glad dreams are weird to the waking mind. I think part of the reason for this, is so we don't confuse them with actual events. We know that we weren't standing ontop of a pyramid this week throwing pickles at talking trees as an example. Yet if we have a dream that isn't weird, in time we get confused as to whether or not it actually happened in physical reality.

Interesting point. Usually if I have one of "those" dreams, it's very real, nothing is distorted..my house is really my house...that's what makes me pay attention to what I've dreamed.

My dreams are rarely like daily life. Or nightly. Oh, they make total sense while I'm dreaming and I think they are real most of the time. Once I wake up is when they seem absurd. Because I'm using one mode of consciousness to examine another. They play by different rules so it's unfair of the conscious mind to think the dreaming mind should play by it's rules. Since it doesn't the conscious mind then thinks the dreaming mind is absurd, not realizing it's bias.

Raevenskye said:
Damn that conscious mind! hehe
Do you lucid-dream at all?

I almost mentioned lucid dreams before heh.

I have many times throughout life. For a brief period long ago I could at will. I'm not good at that sort of thing these days for some reason. I haven't really tried to though. I don't think I've had a lucid dream in awhile.

I wonder how we know we are really lucid dreaming over only dreaming that we are:)

About a year or so ago I went through a several month period where I was waking up punching and/or kicking. No one sleeps in my bed so no one got hurt. I nearly fell out of bed a couple times though. I was on some medication at the time for anxiety and depression. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Ever had an OBE? I haven't. It would be nice to have one that you can confirm. Having proof we are more than our bodies would be real nice and life changing.

Sometimes when you suppress anxiety with meds, it will manifest in dreams. I had that same thing happen after my father crossed over. I've had swinging/fighting dreams too.
I have had a few OBE's..some pleasant...some not. My Dad and I used to OBE and go visit places together. I was not living at home at the time, so we'd have great talks about these things when we'd see each other. I'm not afraid of it now like I used to be, but I don't think I'm travelling that often.
I've had so many supernatural experiences, I can't help but believe that we are more than our bodies. It makes for an interesting life, that's for sure!

Raevenskye said:
Sometimes when you suppress anxiety with meds, it will manifest in dreams. I had that same thing happen after my father crossed over. I've had swinging/fighting dreams too.
I have had a few OBE's..some pleasant...some not. My Dad and I used to OBE and go visit places together. I was not living at home at the time, so we'd have great talks about these things when we'd see each other. I'm not afraid of it now like I used to be, but I don't think I'm travelling that often.
I've had so many supernatural experiences, I can't help but believe that we are more than our bodies. It makes for an interesting life, that's for sure!

Were you able to confirm your events and discussion with your father ever? He remember the same thing?

I've spoke with many people that have had confirmation of OBEs. I've never been so lucky though.

A.LeClair said:
Were you able to confirm your events and discussion with your father ever? He remember the same thing?

I've spoke with many people that have had confirmation of OBEs. I've never been so lucky though.

yes...we would both dream (or OBE) on the same night...meet in dreamtime, and go...somewhere...sometimes we visited his mother (who crossed over in 1972 +/-), sometimes we'd just vistit someplace...I could never remember much detail about those dreams, tho. We still meet in dreamtime now, but more to hang out..chat...nothing that I can really say: oh yeah! we DEFINITELY met and discussed things. Dreamwork is so nebulous, it's hard to tell what's "real" and what's a dream!

Raevenskye said:
yes...we would both dream (or OBE) on the same night...meet in dreamtime, and go...somewhere...sometimes we visited his mother (who crossed over in 1972 +/-), sometimes we'd just vistit someplace...I could never remember much detail about those dreams, tho. We still meet in dreamtime now, but more to hang out..chat...nothing that I can really say: oh yeah! we DEFINITELY met and discussed things. Dreamwork is so nebulous, it's hard to tell what's "real" and what's a dream!

If you are good at doing it, go for the million dollar challenge:)

A.LeClair said:

Wow. We've gone from reconstituted trailmix-hybrid starchildren in potties ...To real OBE's and the quest for the afterlife.

My mind is spinning. Must be that new Broadband Modem I was forced to nstall after my 8 year old RCA rental blew up at 6pm.

:mad: Damned, COMCAST...DAMNED THEM ALL TO HELL!!!: :mad:

Sorry, had a "Heston" moment there for a second.

CharltonHestonPlanetOfT.jpg

So umm...What were we talking about? Did I mention I'm on appetite suppressants? Lost 30 pounds.

Tom Levine said:
Sorry, had a "Heston" moment there for a second.

CharltonHestonPlanetOfT.jpg

So umm...What were we talking about? Did I mention I'm on appetite suppressants? Lost 30 pounds.

A picture of 'animal love' posted by a moderator - oh, the irony of it... :D

A.LeClair said:
It's not too far off Tom. Dreams, lucid dreams and OBEs are heavily related.

Right, getting back on point:

I've had lucid dreams, I've had OBE's. When I was younger, I also suffered from an extremely bad case of sleep paralysis, up through the age of about 18. I was unusual, in that I'd have 2 to 3 episodes a night, consistently, from about the age of 5, throughout my youth...Back then, they were called "incumbent nightmares". I eventually out-grew them (and no, I was not being abducted. Sorry, guys) for the most part. I still get them every now and then. My wife recognizes the signs, and she wakes me up, and it's over, and we're back to sleep. Therefore, if you see me on the forums late at night, now you know why. The leftovers are insomnia.

The reason why I reveal that little personal tidbit, and mention all 3, is because I always felt that they are all extremely similar. I'm not convinced that my "OBE"'s were much more than a different form of lucid dream, and even during sleep paralysis, there is, very much, the element of waking-sleep, vis a vis halucinations intermingling with the real environment, but who knows. I don't, personally, see any of these states of mind, as evidence of the "other dimension". Again, on my own experience, it's been nothing more than the mind, travelling through alpha, beta, theta, delta, gamma, REM, be it aware or unaware, controlled or uncontrolled. I'd say sleep paralysis is most unpleasant, frightening in fact, whereas OBEs and Lucid Dreams are euphoric. The key difference in all 3, is the varying degrees of awareness with regard to your human body.

But enough about me. How was your day?

Tom Levine said:
When I was younger, I also suffered from an extremely bad case of sleep paralysis, up through the age of about 18. I was unusual, in that I'd have 2 to 3 episodes a night, consistently, from about the age of 5, throughout my youth...Back then, they were called "incumbent nightmares". I eventually out-grew them (and no, I was not being abducted. Sorry, guys) for the most part. I still get them every now and then. My wife recognizes the signs, and she wakes me up, and it's over, and we're back to sleep. Therefore, if you see me on the forums late at night, now you know why. The leftovers are insomnia.

I have lucid dreams quite regularly - suddenly becoming concious in the middle of a dream is strangely compelling, especially when you realise you can 'dictate the rules' and fly everywhere...

I still suffer from episodes of sleep paralysis - I've also found that reading/watching UFO material *does* sometimes heighten / introduce an element of 'terror' into the experience. I *do* think that someone who is unaware of the condition might think that they've been 'abducted' and in the early days, for a time, that suspicion was at the back of my mind. I no longer think that, but every now and again the 'dread' of having the experience forces me to stay awake, which then leads to irregular sleep patterns which then increases the likelyhood of having an episode...it's a vicious circle.

The affect of sleep deprevation on the human body should never be understimated.

Rick Deckard said:
I have lucid dreams quite regularly - suddenly becoming concious in the middle of a dream is strangely compelling, especially when you realise you can 'dictate the rules' and fly everywhere...

I still suffer from episodes of sleep paralysis - I've also found that reading/watching UFO material *does* sometimes heighten / introduce an element of 'terror' into the experience. I *do* think that someone who is unaware of the condition might think that they've been 'abducted' and in the early days, for a time, that suspicion was at the back of my mind. I no longer think that, but every now and again the 'dread' of having the experience forces me to stay awake, which then leads to irregular sleep patterns which then increases the likelyhood of having an episode...it's a vicious circle.

The affect of sleep deprevation on the human body should never be understimated.

I totally agree. The origination of term "incumbent nightmare", I believe, stems from the old-world view that during the night, an "incubus" would come into ones room, and sit on your chest. The Incubus was sometimes seen, and sometimes not seen, but there was always the feeling of pressure on the chest.

Here is the classic image I would always come across in psychology books back when I was trying to figure this all out:

Fuseli_nightmare.jpg

If you've had sleep paralysis, you probably can relate to that description to some degree. From my own experience, I think it stems from the conscious sense of breathing, the chest moving up and down, while the body is completely paralyzed, and without having control over it.

So, it's no wonder that one can take the leap from an "incubus" to a "grey". If you've never encountered sleep paralysis, you have to understand that you are unable to move your eyes, and yet, your eyes can be open during this experience. You are awake, even though your body is still asleep. So, with this overbearing feeling of dread, it is quite common to "sense" people or beings or someone just off of your peripheral vision. You just KNOW someone is there, but you can't actually see them...Much like the incubus in this image. Notice the woman is unable to actually see the creature? And yet, when you do awaken from this state, surprise. No one is there.

But in any event, they are absolutely terrifying experiences. It is no wonder that some people who suffer from sleep paralysis can convince themselves that they are victims of abduction.

I also share the same experience with you, Rick, that there was a time, way back when, when I thought, well maybe...They really are THAT scary. But, once you become married, and your spouse watches you go through the experience, that pretty much clears up the grey abduction concept. Of course, I'm not saying that abduction is not real. But, it's not real for me. I think some people definitely draw that conclusion erroneously. Totally agree with you there.

I've had a few bouts with sleep paralysis too, and it's no fun. Usually the threatening person is someone who has broken into my house, and is watching me, or wants to harm me...after the initial panic of trying to awaken and being unable to, i tell myself to go back to sleep for a few minutes, and then try again. After about 2 or 3 rounds of that, I'm usually able to wake myself up. I often feel like I've been drugged, tho.
I definitely think being able to lucid-dream has helped me overcome nightmares, and insomnia to some point.

Back