• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sociology and UFO's

wicro

Skilled Investigator
First of all hello, my first post! hopefully not my last.

As in the title of this post, I'm currently researching a dissertation on the topic of UFO's and people that encounter 'anomalous phenomena'. During my literature review of this topic, (Which I personally have been interested in for over 25 years.. yup I am a 'mature student') I was surprised to find very little academic research on the actual experience of those encountering UFO's from the perspective of the 'experiencer' despite the obvious cultural impact of this topic.

There is a large body of work especially in psychology that seems hell bent on proving that people that witness strange phenomena are some how of a mental abnormal state. Within my field of sociology again the the main line of inquiry (with a few notable exception) is on the 'cult' aspect of UFOolgy or the 'beliefs' of the people involved. I personally feel this line of inquiry and labeling of people within this field as some how 'deviant' not conducive to healthy debate.

So this small preamble leads me to my question/s. What academic works would people recommend within this field, and what areas do some of this community feel are of particular interest (ok ok I'm fishing for ideas).

My own rather draft version of what I'm proposing to do for a dissertation concentrates on that much more common experience the IFO, which seems criminally under investigate within the UFO field. When we have a greater understanding of the why people miss identify objects surely it would give the field more legitimacy(and not just from the human psychological / biological perspective). I find purely psychological explanations lacking, and therefore would like to broaden out the area of inquire to more general social trends as well a more 'phenomenological' understanding of what is being experienced.

I personally have experienced a number of 'strange phenomena' within my lifespan, but I maintain a healthy doses of skepticism (in the traditional use of the word) to the whole field of the 'paranormal' but wish to a make a contribution in even a small way. Considering the very erudite comments within a number of the threads here, and the general level of critical thinking that is expressed within the podcast shows, I thought this was as good as place to start to try and make some connection and hopefully debate.

Any comments and/or suggestions would be most appreciated.

whoops shows my attention to detail, if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move!

I read your post twice and I am not sure exactly what your idea for your dissertation is about. Maybe you do not know either at this point. Here is a good place to start. Contact or email Will Bueche. He used to work for Dr Mack.

http://www.johnemackinstitute.org/default.asp

Thanks Ally, I do tend to ramble a bit. What I am attempting to do with the dissertation is to chart the changing nature of UFO's through history and linking them to societal changes (a somewhat psychosocial approach). Psychology, it would appear seems to think that the experience of the individual must be pathological (see for instance Chequers etal 1996 study linking belief in ET with
schizotypal personality types, or others linking sightings with 'fantasy prone' etc) which I find unconvincing at best. However, the vast majority of UFO sightings are Identified Flying Objects, and for this reason there must be underlining reasons for why people attributed mundane objects to something else. Although 'eye witness' testimony studies do show how fallible the human mind is in perceiving objects, I feel a more sociological explanation would help ground that area in the 'real world'. Although it may seem perverse that a UFOlogist (which I certainly don't claim to be) would study IFO it seems that this area is sadly lacking.

The paracast had anthropologist Christopher Roth on a while back who's work I am acquainted and it was more his line of enquiry I was interested in. However, the works such as his seem very hard to find, so the general question was what have others come across in reading that is related to this field of enquiry.

Hmmm started rambling again but I hope you get what I mean!

Thanks all for the links and kind word, I'll try and post in the right section next time!

Welcome wicro to our strange wee world :D. Oh, and don't worry about posting to the right section. You posted to the "Question Bank" ... which I think is pretty reasonable for someone wanting answers to something.

And I'm forever worrying where I post things, and the Men In Black haven't turned up on my doorstep for doing so ... yet :D

So welcome again ... oops sorry go to go ... there's someone at the door :eek::D

Back